Photography/photoshop Books

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Jenn, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

What are your favorite photography/photoshop books?

I've got on a big reading kick lately trying to learn this DSLR stuff, and so far I've read:

The Digital Photography Book (Vol 1 and 2) - Scott Kelby
    I'm working on the Rebel XSi companion book.

Last night, my Amazon order arrived with:

Understanding Exposure
    The Moment it Clicks
    The Photoshop CS3 book for Digital Photographers

Any other books people have enjoyed or found helpful?

2. A~Photography

understanding exposure and teh photoshop books are a good read LOTS of great info!! im not sure of any others how did you find The Digital Photography Book (Vol 1 and 2) - Scott Kelby

3. Julie

I just got the two Scott Kelby digital photography books. Read vol 1, half way through vol 2. They are good reads. I also got the CS3 book by Scott Kelby and just glanced through that. I already have Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. As far as recommending more I would suggest Learning to See Creatively and Understanding Digital Photography: Techniques for Getting Great Pictures both by Bryan Peterson

4. brokenhat

I really enjoyed "The Moment That It Clicks"

5. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

it's all well and good, but it's sorta 'fluffy' and ohh look at what i did. it's not going to be as beneficial to someone new as say...understanding exposure.

other than that, your camera manual etc untill you know your camera and all of its controls inside and out. you should be able to change most things easily without hesitation and really even without looking.

knowing the controls are good, but something like understanding exposure will help you figure out what to do with them.

aperture
    shutter speed
    iso

6. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

I know what aperture, shutter and iso are, this reading will just help me understand a little more what are some good starting points in various situations and to get a better grasp of the best way to achieve a certain result.

And I do know what 90% of the controls on the camera are for, and the companion book is filling in the gaps.

I'm not a total photography noob, took some photography in art classes (including developing prints with chemicals) and in university as part of my degree, so I had some basic knowledge to start, which was helpful.

7. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

yup, developing prints in chemicals is pretty relevant to dslrs.:)
    ...so you have an absolute understanding of aperture, shutter speed and iso...what they are, how they interact with one another and how changing any of them will affect the look of your images and help you react to various lighting conditions?
    you're set then.
    because it doesn't sound glamourous or fun and exciting doesn't make it any less relevant dude. :happysad:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

No but talking to me like I know absolutely nothing and repeating the same three words over and over again doesn't help to understand it all.

And I didn't imply that developing prints is relevant to digital photography, but the basic principles of photography still stand, and I have a little background there, although it's been a while.

ISO - Light sensitivity of sensor/film. Higher the iso, the more sensitive it is (brighter if you were to use the same settings as you would at a lower iso), but the more noise you get. Sometimes needed in low light conditions, or when you want to achieve a certain level of noise to get a certain look. Allows for a faster shutter speed when iso is higher, or a higher aperture number (smaller aperture).

Shutter - The length of time the shutter stays open. The shorter the time, the less light gets in. The longer the time, the more light. Sometimes longer shutter speeds are needed in low light conditions, or to get motion blur effects. Longer shutter speeds often require a tripod, but allow you to use a lower iso.

Aperture - The size of the opening through which the light enters the camera. Size is measured in ratios. The lower the number, the more light gets in, and the narrower the depth of field (less in focus), creating blurred / bokeh in the background. With a wide aperture (low number), the shutter speed can be faster and the iso lower. The higher the number, the more that is in focus, but the less light gets in (as the aperture is smaller). For a higher aperture, the shutter speed may need to be longer. If not possible, iso may need to be higher (potentially creating noise).

That's my basic explanation for now.

Getting my head around exposure compensation and things like that at this point.

9. SheOfManyChildren

I wouldn't take it personally. He's been repeating the 3 words for weeks now....not to get people to think about their DEFINITIONS, but rather how they relate to each other in the triangle.

10. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

Well when I asked him for any help at all to get a basic understanding of DSLR-land, he told me to come back and talk to him when I knew everything about those three things instead of helping to understand their relationship. So I've been using books.

I think my definitions seem to demonstrate a basic understanding of how they relate, and their effects.

11. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

I Also told you to learn your camera manual and controls inside out I believe. :)

12. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

Yeah, and I read the whole manual from cover to cover, and now I'm reading the expanded companion book.

13. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

The Scott Kelby books were great, very helpful. I recommended them to you already. :)

14. SheOfManyChildren

Definately. Start shooting in M mode, and it will progress even more. Unless you already are?

15. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

I started in Tv/Av modes, my next step is moving to manual. I have started a little bit so far, but not moved all the way permanently to it yet.

The problem I have is I can only really shoot a lot of things I wanna do on the weekends, because I'm trying to use natural light as much as possible, and it's sorta dark when I go to work in the morning, and dark when I come home. Been playing a bit with the lighting in my house though.

16. SheOfManyChildren

That's when I shoot too. Spring/summer is always easier.

17. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

yet most just don't seem to want to listen. :happysad:
    jenn, however seems to have looked into things a bit :) aside from a few small things not described entirely properly a general understanding of what each thing does seems to have been acheived....are you getting familiar on how they interact with each other? from what you wrote there I'm seeing bits and pieces that you are starting to get how they affect each other, and from the DOF even how they are starting to impact the look of your images. :) I'm impressed.

18. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

See? I'm not a complete idiot. :lol:

19. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i never once implied you were.

20. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

Definitely. I hate it being dark all the time. lol

I'm also saving up for a decent flash, for doing some work that needs it.

21. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

What I'm trying to figure out now is stuff like when I want to get more light or a brighter image, which is the best one to change? What priority should I place on them? Like, should I always try shutter speed first? or aperture? etc. I understand that a larger aperture means that less will be in focus, so it will give a certain look, but you know what I'm getting at.

Maybe it depends on the situation (i.e. landscape needs a higher F# to get it in focus, which means I'd have to use shutter speed to get more light), and from what I understand, unless you're trying to deliberately get noise, shoot at the lowest ISO possible in the conditions and with the look of the aperture, etc that you're hoping to get.

Oh and the whole, if I'm hand holding it, I won't be able to have a long shutter speed...

22. SheOfManyChildren

yep, you gotter.

For me, I decide what aperture I want first.

23. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

That's what I've been thinking too. Get that right, and compensate the rest for it, but try to keep the iso low.

24. A~Photography

sounds like your getting her hun.. I'm starting to grasp alot of it to the understanding exposure definitely is helping too :) its a great read.. you and i should to try n go out shooting together sometime!!!
    its alot of information to grasp thats for sure.. your lucky you had a basis of it from school...

i cant wait for spring and summer again thats when i truely enjoy shooting landscapes the most.. im gonna do a peggys cove run again sometime soon. id liek for a LITTLE bit of snow to stay on the ground though.. lmao

25. A~Photography

G your right iso aperture and shutter speed definitely are VERY important.. I'm the one it doesn't seem like im listening.. I AM its just grasping it and putting it altogether.. that i get stumped on.. my memory is soooo bad its not funny...

someday when i REALLY get it, i promise i'll make you proud.. and i really appreciate your help and everyone here's help :)

26. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

it does depend on the situation. :) and the look you want to acheive while keeping the highest image quality possible.

27. Arod

Depending on the body you shouldn't be afraid of ISO either. With a proper exposure high ISO noise can be managed easily. yadda yadda yadda.

28. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

yes'm

29. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

Body = Rebel XSi

30. chainsaw

lol if it's anything like the Nik D40X Be afraid, be very afraid of ISO

31. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

it's not.

32. Julie

it's a step up from the xti which I have. Big time noise issues. I don't go over 400.

33. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i've seen clean images out of the xt and xti at 800 and some even at 1600. hell i've seen relatively clean 1600iso images out of the original digital rebel. If you nail the exposure you can still produce relatively clean images. If you're still underexposed and try at all to 'adjust' or fix it in post, welcome to crud city.

NOW, that being said-I have seen some unspeakable noise out of a d200 at iso400....

34. A~Photography

i agree my xt at high iso doesnt seem bad for noise

35. SheOfManyChildren

:hsugh: