Pet Insurance

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Big Al, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

Who has it? And what has your experience been like with said company?

Thinking about taking out some insurance on the pup.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Had it until the pups were > 2 years old in case they had any problems. Company was VetInsurance. I think they had a bunch of rate hikes since we used them.

3. Jess

We're with PC for Pet Insurance, they've been great. Only had to make a claim once but it covered more or less exactly what we'd paid in up until that point. I think Pet Insurance is extremely important but one of those things you don't really appreciate the benefit of until you need it. My last family dog got hit by a car, had to have his eyes removed and thousands of dollars were spent on his recovery - most of which would have been covered by insurance.

Rates are typically based on breed and location, we pay $40 a month for Abby - she's a Cane Corso mix, just to give you an idea :)

4. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

Yeh, it seems that the PC insurance is probably a good fit, doesn't have a random bunch of extras (such as cremation), but has solid coverage for accident/illness. Looks like it would be about 20 bucks a month for the second level, or 40 for the fourth (highest level) of coverage.

5. Hiltzy

I think a few factors come into it....on a whole I think pet insurance is a good idea.

1) How big is your dog gonna be when full grown? The bigger the dog the more expensive insurance will be, but the more expensive your vet bills will be. I have a great dane...vet bills are very expensive when its more than just a checkup.

2) What kind of dog do you have? Are they prone to injury or genentic type issues in their later years? Do you know the pups parents...are they healthy dogs with no genetic issues they may pass on to their pups?

3) Do you have a situation where if you suddenly had to pay a few thousand dollars for vet bills, that it wouldn't be a major financial burden?

4) What things are you and are you not willing do for your dog? Willing to pay $200 a month for pills long term? Willing to pay for surgeries and rehab if say he falls and breaks his back and needs to be rehabed back to a walking state?

6. kuatto

With having two cats and two dogs as well as a breeding colony of hybrid leopard geckos(high end colour morphs)and an 11yr old horse,is there an insurance policy that would cover all them?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. dynadude

The horse you'll likely need to go through someone like HEP http://www.hep.ca/ equine insurance is pretty specialized.

8. PhD

PhD
    u mad cuz i'm stylin on u

had a really bad experience with pet secure, would not recommend.