Pay It Forwad feeler thread.

Discussion in 'The Petting Zoo' started by Leviathan, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]
    It's all in your mind....

Sup' RC.

I'm making this thread because I want to see how many people would donate a few bucks for a good cause. :)

I was at the vet this morning for an appointment to get two cats fixed (a male and a female). The male needs to be fixed right away as he is 6 months and I don't want him getting a chance to ever spray in the house. The female starting showing signs of an infection of the uterus....I believe she has Pyometra, a life-threatening infection. She was oozing creamy stuff out her yahoo (sometimes normal when in heat) and it started changing color (not good). It was worse last week, but it seems to be better and has cleared up enough on its own that she can be fixed on Monday with the male.

Now.......here is the deal. My cat was lucky enough to have had "open Pyometra", where the infection can escape. Once the uterus closes, the infection cannot escape and the cat can get really sick or the uterus can fill up, burst and then the cats dies. As my cat will be getting fixed, any residual infection will be removed during that process (fixing the cat is the recommended action to take when the cat has Pyometra). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra

As I was discussing this with the vet, she told me a girl had a cat in this morning that had Pyometra so bad that whenever the cat laid down, it left a small puddle of ooze. That cat currently has open Pyometra - REALLY bad Pyometra. My cat was oozing a slight amount - nothing like what the vet described. And, the thing is when they get this infection, they stop eating, etc. Her kitty is really sick.

This girl cannot afford to get the cat fixed apparently - so, the vet had to give this girl antibiotics for the cat and sent her home. Sometimes antibiotics don't do the trick. The cat needs to be fixed. As soon as I heard that, knowing what this girl is going through (her cat is lethargic, won't eat and she has to constantly keep cleaning up as it leaks infection all over the place), I wished I didn't have to shelve out the money I am going to pay on Monday morning for two cats to get fixed and that I could help this other cat somehow.

On Monday, I am going to ask the vet what happened with this other cat......see if it is getting better. If it is, then good stuff. I'll also check to see if maybe the girl got the cat fixed at the SPCA or something, where she has no money to get it fixed. Do they do that, by the way?

If it isn't....do ya'll think we can set up a paypal account linked to the Cobequid Animal Hospital somehow and see if we can't drum up enough cash to get this girls cat fixed? It's around $250.00 for a female cat. 20 or 30 of us at like $7-10 each should get us there. $10 is worth knowing you saved someone some major hard ache. If you would donate something, let me know in this thread and when I find out what happened with the cat, we can take it from there.

**Summation or those who hate reading.....**

- My cat was sick (Pyometra), but is better and is getting fixed.
    - Vet tells me of this other cat who is wayyyy more sick and really needs to be fixed or could die, but owner has no money.
    - I want to help, but need help helping.

- Putting a feeler out to see who will help.

2. Hiltzy

Id concider it......to be honest...I think as a vet, they would do the surgery and work out a payment plan with the owner. I also see the side where the vet there to make money..not be a charity. But $250 seems worth doing the surgery and working out a payment plan

3. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

I thought about that also. This is why I'm going to check back in with the vet on Monday. The girl will be looking to remedy this over the weekend - it's not a fun thing to deal with. This girl has to have options out there.....I just wanted to see what if RC doing her a solid was one of them in case she doesn't get it figured out. Even if we come up with half and then the hospital sets up a plan for the rest or something.

...and like you said, the vet could do the surgery and worry about the money later if the cat was in that bad a shape, so maybe kitty is ok for now on the antibiotic until the owner figures out a way to get her fixed.

4. PDizzle

2legit2quit

I can pretty much vouch that RC members will donate for a good cause :happysad:

5. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

6. PDizzle

2legit2quit

In situations like this, the vet should just fix the damn cat for free.

7. Matt30

Im not a cat person, but ive been in her shoes. Id be glad to help. Keep us updated.

8. drose

Should be done for free? What do you think pays the bills around there, rainbows and pixie dust!? Vet deal with people every single day who don't have money to do what is best or even what's needed. I guarantee you hundreds and probably thousands of animals are put down every day because the owner can't afford the treatment needed. You do one free spay because of a sob story and you'll have 20 sob stories lined up the next day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting together to help out someone in need, and you can also look into whether spay aid is in NS too, but putting the responsibilty on the vet to fix an issue the owner can't pay for is bullshit. You can't afford the care, don't get the animal ( and this coming from someone who shelled out $800 this week because my dog didn't feel like eating and had to spend a few days at the vet ).

9. PDizzle

2legit2quit

So punish the animal because of the shitty owner?

10. Elcoopto

11. PDizzle

2legit2quit

sounds fair.

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Why should the vet have to pay? If you buy a car you can't afford, long shot I know, should the first mechanic you bring it to fix it free of charge because of your stupidity? If you have kids and you house gets a leak should a roofer fix it free of charge because your kids are suffering?

13. Cooper

Boobs

While I think that once and a while it would be nice to do these things pro bono.. Where does it stop? I'm sure if you asked, most pet owners would have a sad story and want their treatment for free. At that point, the vet isn't making any money and that's not fair either.

14. Sue

Sue

count me in if it is a go :)

15. drose

It's a ' If I do it for you, I have to do it for everyone ' kind of situation. The thought of doing it for free is a small possibliity and it does happen. What upset me is your stance that just because the animal needs it and the owner can't afford it, the vet should just do it for free as if the vet did something wrong and should fix it.

Should the doctor who diagnoses you with cancer pay for the expensive drugs you need but are not covered under health care? I mean common, doctors make shit loads of money, they can easily absorb $2,000 per month for the drug you can't afford. He's the one that diagnosed you, so he should pay. Should you suffer because you don't make enough money when there he is with all his money? That rat bastard.

Trust me, vets and vet techs go home every single night with heavy hearts about the animals that couldn't get the absolute best care and treatment because of lack of funds. They agonize and have trouble sleeping knowing the discomfort these animals are in, but a business that just covers the cost for everything for everyone who can't afford what's needed won't last more than a week.

16. infatuous

I'd hate to be a vet just because of the number of times you'd be put in this situation. It seems like a shitty thing to do, but you can't make a living doing free shit all the time and it just opens up a huge can of worms. People without sufficient funds for care should not have pets. Simple as that.

17. drose

Bringing us back on topic though. I appreciate Levi recognizing that a vet can't absorb the cost of every procedure needed but not affordable by the client. I will chime in with a committment to put some money towards this also if the opportunity arises, and apologize for derailing his good samaritan thread.

18. Jess

I'll help out if it's a go for sure. I know my vet would be willing to work out a payment plan if required and maybe yours will do the same, but if not - I'd love to help.

19. Dewie

Enough with the snow...

Excellent thread/idea. Some day soon I hope to be in a position to pitch in a few dollars here and there to help causes like this. (Few more months and Student Loans are gone :D)

To back up what drose had to say - it is a VERY shitty situation. My wife too works at a vet clinic and they deal with this thing on a regular basis. Lots of money had been lost in the past at the clinic where she works "helping" people out... If this person was a long-time customer I'm sure the clinic would be more willing to help the person out however there are likely other factors at play here which we aren't aware of unfortunately.

It's even more unfortunate to think there are people in the US who are in this same situation with their children or themselves... can't afford the proper treatment? too bad... there's the door :(

20. JoeLouie

Yup.

http://spaydaynovascotia.wordpress.com/

21. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

Cool - I will mention that to the vet tomorrow morning. Perhaps this girl is a good candidate and won't have to be on the waiting list too long.

22. ANGELL

Not at the table Carlos

pm sent

23. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

An update.

Was at the vet yesterday to pick up mah two cats.

First off - my one cat wasn't as in the clear as we thought. She had closed off and the infection was inside and only leaking slightly. The swab the vet took last Sat showed little infection, so they didn't prescribe antibiotics. When they got in there, there was a cup of infection sitting in the ovaries (along with cysts). Left on its own, my cat would have died from the toxic effects from the bacteria or the uterus would rupture, spilling the infection into the abdominal cavity - death within 24-48 hours. Had my cat not been booked in Monday am, she would have been in big trouble this week. Anywho - they got the ovaries out and she is also on antibiotics now. All looks good.

Now, the other cat who was sent home with antibiotics.......the vet said she talked to the girl on Monday and cat was at least eating again. This cat has the open Pyometra right now, so infection is draining and the pills are helping from the inside....but as soon as the cervix closes, that cat is a ticking time bomb; and even if the infection clears up - it will start all over again the next heat cycle. In the vets words...."This cats has to be fixed now.".

Now, here is the thing - turns out doing a spay on a cat with closed Pyometra is more expensive (vets here on RC will vouch).....an addition $300 to be exact. When I told the vet yesterday I may have access to people willing to pay for the spay, she said she would not charge the extra amount. She said, "Nice to know there are still good people out there...if you can get the $250, I won't charge the extra".

Sooooooo......I also have a singular donor from RC who is willing to pay the $250. I am currently in contact with both this person and the hospital and will report back with hopefully a good update soon and perhaps can reveal the anonymous persons involved (the donor, doc, hospital, etc. - depending on what they want).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  24. unidentifiable

meow

That's amazing.

25. Hiltzy

to the person willing to donate the $250, I sincerly applaud you. its nice to know that along with the daily entertainment, that people are willing to help out somebody in need when they can. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

26. Cooper

Boobs

27. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Boots can we get a NSFM (not safe for mealtime) tag please?

28. Dewie

Enough with the snow...

I also applaud the single person willing to donate the money for this.

Of a similar happy note: my Wife does dog training at Truro Vet Hospital (in Truro obviously) and last night she started up a second level class. One woman who had just previously graduated the 1st level class with her dog asked where another level 1 graduate was (why she wasn't in the level 2 class). The other graduate was a local college student and was unable to afford the level two class. Upon hearing this the woman right then and there paid the entry fee for the class for this other person and insisted that she be called and told to get to the clinic for the class. The student was thrilled as she very much enjoyed the classes; the woman was super happy as she really enjoyed working with this student and their dogs got along great.

While $250 may not be a lot for some it is all the difference for some people. I am fortunate that I am able to support my own and frequently do what I can to help others in my own way. It's awesome to hear of other people doing the same thing in their own way.

29. drose

Wow, someone is awesome :D Hopefully we can find out the name so that everyone can recognize their huge good deed :cool:

30. Jess

31. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

Done and done!!!! :) :)

Our secret donor paid the bill and the cat is booked in 1st thing tomorrow morning for surgery. The vet is coming in on her day off to do it.

The hospital said they will cover any costs over the $250 that was donated. A shout out to Dr. B at Cobequid Animal Hospital in Sackville for doing this.

When I popped into the hospital to check on the appointment, etc, the women at the counter told me the donor was just in to pay the $$. She started crying as she told me. She said it made her year. She said something else about the donor, but I can't say, as it may give their identity away. :cool:

She also said she had the pleasure of calling the girl and telling her that her cat is going to be fixed. I guess the girl cried and cried - very grateful. Just imagine, she was sitting there, worried about her cat and what was going to happen to it and BAM!, out of the blue, the vet calls and says someone has paid to have the cat fixed and to bring it in first thing tomorrow morning. Imagine the surprise/happiness!!

I'm gonna pop over tomorrow when the cat is being picked up and see if I can grab a pic to post here.

......oh, and the person who did this incredible deed does not want to be identified. If you want to know who it is, they said I can tell in PM's, but it can't be posted. :)

32. Hiltzy

awesome news....very nice of you to arrange this all as well Levi.

33. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

That cat was in dire need of help. I had to try to help. It is the right thing to do. I like doing the right thing.

Knowing kitty (and owner) are going to be so happy makes me happy. :)

34. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I applaud everything but what bugs me is if this cat had not gotten sick, would she not have had it spayed? And if she was going to, why wasn't this in the budget when getting the cat? Its like buying a house and not budgeting for water or electricity.

35. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]

I wasn't there to judge the owner and their money-planning abilities - I just wanted the cat to feel better.

I don't think she figured her cat would develop the infection it did - making the cost go from $250 to $550.