Palace closed

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Apr 9, 2013.

1. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

[​IMG]

2. billybob

Notice the lights on. About 3:45 am. They never made us leave. :lol:

3. billybob

4. billybob

DAMN ASBESTOS

[​IMG]

5. billybob

The best bartender in the world, Erin, and punner. Pretty sure she threw a handful of nickels at Lex_Lucas one time :rofl:

[​IMG]

6. billybob

The night Red Bull launched for the first time ever in Canada and we all drank like 14 cans of it each at the palace with vodka because we didn't know any better. 2004.

[​IMG]

7. billybob

Some of the best nights of my life were spent at the Palace. The wonder years were definitely 2002-2004. The year I lived at 5718 Inglis Street with 3 of my best buddies in a staggeringly large flat in a 110 year old house built for partying.

We would go to class all week, drink the cheapest booze we could find, usually free in most cases and head to the Palace all weekend. Including a batch of bad vodka made in a garage in Lower Sackville that probably took 10 years off each of our lives. Or the hundreds of tall boys of Keiths that were pilfered from the Brewery that one of us worked at because it was just that easy. But I digress....

There was no dinner at pubs or restaurants prior, there was no pre-drinking at the Split Crow, Lower Deck, Pogue Fado, Cheers or the like. It was at 5718 where a solid crew of 15-20 every night were High school dance wasted sauntering down South Park Street in the direction of the Palace Cabaret. We wouldn't even leave the flat before 1 am and it would take us what would seem like forever to get there, stopping every 20 feet like raccoons that spotted an shiny piece of tin foil wrapper on the ground that once covered a slice of Donair pizza from Sicilian the night before.

It was dynamic when we rounded the corner by the Ale House. A line up well past the side doors to the Cabaret. Four Halifax Regional Police officers posted up at the door just waiting for the first scoundrel to be kicked out and tossed in the adjacent paddy wagon that already had its rear barn doors stationed wide open in anticipation. The line wasn't budging and Carlos Pottie used his suave demeanor and smooth articulation, as only he could, to convince Nick the VIP line bouncer to let the drove of us in, his VIP stamp almost running out of ink at the workout it received from us.

It was like winning the lottery. It was the most coveted reward in all of Halifax back in those days.

Then it was chaos. The girls would be stuck at coat check. The guys ran for our favourite bartender at the back bar, Carl waving his hands 20 feet away and 4 double rum and cokes were iced and waiting by the time we got there. Some streaked for the VIP room upstairs which was guaranteed to be just as crowded as downstairs but it had carpet and leather couches, THE place to be seen on a Saturday in Halifornia.

DJ Kevin Fraiser was the worst DJ in Halifax, but we loved him anyways, because he would play any song we requested. When he mashed up songs we used to smash our fists together over our heads to emulate the disaster that was his skillset, earning him the lovable alias of DJ Trainwreck.

No stalls in the mens room didn't stop guys from taking a shit. That's how the Palace rolled.

They placed an attendant in the washrooms to prevent damage and disaster. The first bar of its kind in Canada. They set a precedence with longevity. They were innovators. It worked like a charm. It was like a convenience store for sex. Nevermind the 10 inches of paper towel and squirt of soap you got, there was dozens of colognes, deodorants, mints, gums, aftershaves and even condoms if he liked you. Never ceased to amaze patrons. Plus, it was always so busy you could skip out the door without washing your hands to avoid the awkwardness of not tipping any time you want. Innovators I tell you.

I could go on all night. The fights. The asbestos in the eyes. The glass throwing. The vomiting. The vomiting in glasses. The vomiting under tables. The vomiting in corners. The vomiting on the patio. The vomiting in the back stairwell. The vomiting behind the bank machine.

The dancefloor. Oh god, the dancefloor. Where frosh week dreams were made. Where boys became men. Where inhibitions were checked at the door with your coat you lost your coat check ticket burying in the back of your mind that you'll have to face the Palace in the light of day when you come back to claim it the next morning.

I bid you adieu, old friend.

Long live the palace. Long live PAL-VIP

[​IMG]

8. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

omfg. that needs to be printed off and taped to the doors........i peed a little

9. 17

teenage dirtbag

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

carl looks so young there. he must have been what. 28, 29? :lol:

10. billybob

I was 22. So he was probably 30.

11. ingress

_

12. Bean

Breasts

And speaking of this HI! Long time no see DVS!

13. Bean

Breasts

Carl has always had a babyface!

14. slouse

ahhh I have tons of palace gems on my other laptop, wish I had it with me right now!

15. MRA

MRA

+rep for that billybob...great read

16. ingress

_

So come October it will be reopened as HFX Sports Bar & Grill modeled after Real Sports in Ontario

17. Miss Shawty

I'd like to go and see what they did with the place. Probably still has aids. :kekeke:

18. *Jani*

Blinky

Ah the good/bad old days... My liver has never been the same since. I miss it, but could never party like that, that OFTEN, again.. The era of 5718 was a time.. going to the palace 2 nights a week wasn't unheard of. And Rob, it was RedRain, not Red bull... :lol: OMGZ Costco sells flats of 24! Must make mother buy a zillion of them! <3

19. Benedict

Formerly Topdawgg

spent alot of drunken nights and hungover mornings at 5718... That walk to the Palace and back was EXACTLY how Rob describes it..

Good times at the Palace..

My god that smoking room was disgusting..

20. DUKE

Alfa as Fuck

Ah shady palace. Everyone dissed it but always ended up in there. Had some great nights, had some shitty nights. Over all I miss the place.

21. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

I spent a few nights there. Oh, the stories.

[​IMG]

22. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Dress code exempt?

Jealous. :(

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Black is a gang color? That sounds so wrong :lol:

24. ingress

_

oh that is what a Badge of Dishonour looks like

25. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Likely black leather, but still!

26. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

What's even worse is I never usually had it with me - I was there so much. :rofl: I'd just stroll in the main door, take a left and go downstairs where the offices are. My coatcheck was usually just the band room. Never used the normal washrooms in that place - always the huge empty ones downstairs.

My bar closed at 2:00 - I'd do cash as fast as possible and head out - usually got to the Palace at 2:45 - pretty much every Thurs/Fri/Sat night for years (Then, usually some after-hours bar in the Gottigen area. I'd usually get home as the sun was coming up). Plus, Wed and Sunday night we'd all go "early" (usually 12:30ish) and stay till close.

Before we started running the bars, I was a DJ. I worked at the ol' Misty Moon/Roxbury, The Palace for a bit, JJ Rossy's, Bogarts, Secretaries, and Peddlers. Even did some spinning at couple places in Truro (Checkers and Chevy's). :lol:

27. ingress

_

28. Codith

That honestly looks awesome

29. Hiltzy

could be an absolute killer to other sports bars downtown

30. User1628

bubba's owners must be sweating

31. Hiltzy

I also see a senario where Bubba's and YFM keep the university crowds and this new place maybe picks up the hotel clienttelle and out of towners

32. 17

teenage dirtbag

wow, will become a patron

33. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

looks nice!

34. ingress

_

I think there is room for another sports bar, it's more like the Boston Pizza on Granville that will lose business

35. Miss Shawty

They barely get business as is. :lol: