Overweight?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Mystik, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

Look at these stats. I knew they were high, but I didn't think they were this high.

Province
    Estimated Population
    Overweight/Obese
    British Columbia
    59.0 %
    Alberta
    60.9 %
    Saskatchewan
    68.1 %
    Manitoba
    62.5 %
    Ontario
    58.6 %
    Quebec
    56.3 %
    New Brunswick
    64.4 %
    Nova Scotia
    59.7 %
    P.E.I.
    66.5 %
    Newfoundland
    71.0 %

:eek3:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. ShortySi

doesn't surprise me we're the lowest.

3. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

Newfies. :rofl:

4. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

Even though you are the lowest you still have over half your population as overweight or obese.

5. dpwu32

Trash elf

That's fucking gross.

6. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

7. ingress

_

yeah I am with the majority

8. Hiltzy

be interesting to see those percentages broken down into age groups

9. dpwu32

Trash elf

Maybe it makes me a bad person, but when I see someone that's grossly obese (Not talking pudgy), that appears to have no interest in changing that (Eating like garbage, getting virtually NO excercise), it makes me have a lot less respect for them...

10. ingress

_

I weigh 472lbs

11. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

I feel the same way.

12. dpwu32

Trash elf

It's different if they're making an effort, whether they're gettign results or not.

I think a lot of overweight people are that way because they don't know any better. If all you've ever known is fast/processed foods, minimal excercise, and the extent of your weight loss knowledge comes from informercials and diet pill commercials, odds are you're going to be fat until you learn something.

I see people all the time that are overweight, eat what they want, when they want, get no excercise and can't understand why the can't lose weight if they're drinking two cans of Slimfast a day...

Even a fat person that's TRYING, but is poorly informed about their needs/options/choices gets my respect. The commitment to trying to change is the biggest part...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  13. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

I also see the ones that go for a 2 - 5 minute run once every two or three days and don't understand why they aren't losing weight. Meanwhile their diet consists of Burger King, McDonalds and pizza.

14. watcha

Born Killer

Obesity is a learned behaviour....
    if your parents are fat, and your grand parents are fat, chances are your going to be fat too.

I personally like the sprial effect..."I'm unhappy becasue I eat and I eat because I'm unhappy"

but then again I woudl be considered "over weight" tipping the scales at 170-175lbs at a whopping 5'11"

and I'm not exactly screaming "fat" when people see me...:kekeke:

15. ingress

_

i'll have the Big Mac meal and can you upsize that but give me a Diet Coke I am watching my weight

16. watcha

Born Killer

ps i had a friend that was over 300lbs....he decided to go on a diet.
    his diet.
    eat nothing untill supper time
    for suopper eat soemthign liek the following:
    2 small pizzas, a small garlic fingers, 1l of pepsi with a peice of cake for desert.

and he wondered why he couldn't lose weight

I also knew another person who lost a drestic amount of weight(about 20%) by using pills and restrictive eating habits, mean while doing 0 excercise....oh wait they were walking to work......from their car almost 500m away....lol

:rolleyes:

17. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

:lol2:

Oh and the BMI calculators don't take into consideration muscle mass. I'm about 6'0" and weigh 184, and it says I'm overweight. :lol:

18. m@

m@

whatever, go eat some cake fattie :D

19. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

Mmmmmmmm....cake. :licklips:

I could go for a McCain deep and delicious.

20. Wayne

Yeah, 5'10" here and 200lbs, I am overweight and want to lose some, but I don't feel or look overly fat. I would like to be 175lbs and that would still have me in the overweight category, but as the old saying goes...I am actually really big boned

I also think that the people who are ideal weight, usually look way too skinny

21. Omerta

I am overweight according to BMI, I don't really trust those stats.

22. dannyboy

Meathead

More attention should be paid to body fat percentage then BMI in my opinion. While the BMI works for a lot of people and it is a decent guideline, it seems to be way off when it comes to more athletic individuals or anyone with natural (or added) muscle mass.

[​IMG]

23. VR6in

I'm 5'10 and 203....I train and eat super clean, but I'd also be overweight according to this.

24. dannyboy

Meathead

According to the BMI, you would be. But, I would have to assume that based on body fat % you're fall well within the healthy category. I mean, according to BMI, you would still be at a healthy bodyweight at 130lbs :hsugh:

25. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

We'd all be stick figures running around if we followed the BMI.

26. dannyboy

Meathead

Which is also why this survey would have to be taken with a grain of salt. I would imagine (I didn't read the article, however) that they based these numbers off the BMI. While I agree that obesity is a MAJOR problem, these numbers are probably a tad high (but still disgusting!).

Peolpe need to be educated. I HATE watching the ads on TV for weight loss pills, fad diets and stupid weight loss products. If people were properly educated on healthy FAT loss, things would be much different.

27. Hiltzy

Bottom line for Todays Society

- Eating processed/fast foods is quicker/easier/cheaper
    - Eating healthy takes time, commitment/willpower, is more expensive

Im currently detoxing (cleaning my body of fat) and its a real pain in the ass...
    - no carbs after lunch
    - very limited menu and strick when/whennot to eat
    - eat veggies/fruit by the barrel full
    - eat as much bran as I can possibly eat

Its taking alot of willpower....but im a week and a half in...only have to detox for about 2.5 weeks and then the menu gets larger. My fastfood days are over methinks. Way I look at it...its not a diet...its a lifestyle change.

28. The Stig

It's not like 60% of the population are body builders and the stats are skewed. There are a few exception to the rules. BMI is one of the least accurate based on an individual but for populations studies it's fairly accurate. That being said, hip to waist ratio is more effective:

From a recent study:

The authors' state that compared with BMI, waist-to-hip ratio is three times stronger than BMI in predicting the risk of a heart attack. Larger waist size (which reflects the amount of abdominal fat) was harmful, whereas larger hip size (which may indicate the amount of lower body muscle) was protective.

The waist-to-hip ratio is calculated by dividing the waist measure by the hip measure. The cut off point for cardiovascular risk factors is less than 0.85 for women and 0.90 for men. A higher number denotes more risk (WAIST/HIP measurements ARE NOT YOUR PANTS SIZE. They are measured with a tape pulled tight around your waist.)

Fact of the matter, we are a fat and lazy population. It's funny how people will live a lifestyle that will take off years from their lives. Look at it this way, if you went into to the doctors office and he said "You are going to die tomorrow unless you exercise for 40 minutes today and eat 3 healthy meals" I can promise that 99% of the population would do this. It's pretty much how it works, everyday you exercise you add time to your life.

29. dannyboy

Meathead

Bottom line is that people think a pill before bedtime or a electric shock generating belly wrap is going to help lose fat. Or that you can get a 6 pack just by doing ab exercises. Or that you can "diet" to reach a healthy weight without changing your lifestyle. People need education. Period.

30. The Stig

Properly educated? You can't honestly think that people don't know that exercise and diet will help them.

"oh shit, cheese burgers and tv aren't part of a healthy lifestyle? OMG really? Eat carrots and go to the gym? Sweet, I'm on my way"

31. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

You'd be surprised how many people I encounter all the time at the gym that have no idea what a proper diet is. They just weren't educated enough on that part of it.

32. dannyboy

Meathead

I have to assume that people believe the infomercials on TV, or else they wouldn't be on all the time. These companies are raking in cash based on people wanting to cut corners. Sure, everyone knows that you need to exercise and eat healthy. But most people are looking to follow a "diet" plan like Atkins, Subway, maple syrup diet, etc. for 6 weeks without deciding to actually change their lifestyle or look into how unhealthy these fad diets are. People need education on exactly what "healthy eating" means. Not just handing someone the Canada food guide and telling them you need X servings of X.

I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but I think if people had proper education on how to eat healthy (not "diet") then the active lifestyle will follow. :shrug:

33. The Stig

I'll give, I bet there are def people that just don't know better, but 60% of the population...

34. dannyboy

Meathead

Oh, don't get me wrong. I figure that the numbers are a bit high, but I'm talking like 2-3% (which is probably a normal margin of error). I mean, it doesn't take a genius or a nation wide census to see this. Looking around my office and I bet the number is more like 75% here. I just hate to know that there are companies out there making HUGE money from weight loss pills, electroshock belly wraps, fad diets or BS workout "routines". There is NO reason to pay to follow a "diet". There is plenty of free information out there to help educate people on how eat healthy.

I just remember back in school, they would hand out a Canada food guide. That was it. No talk of what you need to eat, when and why. Protein? Who knew what that was when they were young? We all heard how bad fat was or how carbs were the devil. Low fat/no carb everything... blah blah blah. Low fat does not always mean low calories or healthy and not all carbs are bad!

35. Mystik

Mystik
    [OP]

Not to mention you need carbs for energy for the exercise. I'd put my office at 80-85% of the people here are overweight. So I don't think that the stats are really that bad. Just walking down the street and you can see the stats. It's disturbing, especially now that we are starting to see a lot more children being overweight.