Oil Rig / Oil Sands jobs in Alberta and British Columbia

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Bandit, May 24, 2004.

1. Sowlrano

Without any on the job Millwright experience it may be pretty tough but there is a lot more opportunity for someone with a little bit of training than there is for someone walking in trying to get an apprenticeship off the street. Everything kind of depends on how this winter goes, things are pretty crazy right now but with the price of oil where it is things are bound to catch up and that will probably be this spring/summer. If things get slow May might not be a very good time to come out here.

2. jpb28

Worked in the patch for a few months last year for a service company but left after a lot of their promises ended up being untrue. I'm looking to get back into it and thinking about well testing. Unfortunately, my h2s and first aid expired and I'm in a town where they're hard to get. Any well testing companies that need assistants bad enough that they'll hire then get those certs for me?

3. teefen

In a blind leap-of-faith I've decided to sell all my shit and get out there. I'll be arriving in Red Deer on the 4th.

A well respected friend-of-friends (who I've never met) told me to get my H2S and First Aid and he'll be able to get me a job well testing the next day. He says I'll get $300-$350 per day, depending who I get on with.

Does that sound right? From what I've read on here $250/day is about the best you could hope for. I'd appreciate some clarification if anyone can help.

Anyone have any tips on gear? So far I've acquired the following:
    -Helly Workwear "Canada Polar" Parka and Bibbed Overalls (http://www.helly.ca/EN/products/specSheets/F7510_F8510-2013-email.pdf)
    -Dunlop "Purofort Thermal" Boots w/ Vibram soles (Waiting for me at Marks in Red Deer - to take up less space in luggage)
    -STC "Alloy" Boots w/ Vibram soles
    -Bama Socks/Boot Inserts
    -The Red Foamy, insulated gloves (2 pair)
    -Shit ton of glove iners
    -Insulated Sweater (-15c)
    -Longjohns x 5
    -Knock-off Under Armour Shirts x 5
    -Knock-off Under Armour Boxers x5
    -Thermal Socks x 10
    -Work Socks x 10
    -Standard Tube Stocks x 20
    -Balaclava + Touque
    -Neck Dickie
    -Bunch of Sweaters
    -Bunch of Sweat Pants
    -Bunch of Long Tees

I'm 26 and the most manual labour I've done is landscaping for a few summers, so I figure well testing may be a good way to transition into more intense work. My last jobs were Regional Manager with Rogers Wireless, Retail Manager with Apple and Sales with Hyundai.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm especially interested in seeing a ballpark for current well tester wages.

-T

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  4. 24dsx-ual

obeyurcrotch

$300 a day starting out is not to far off. You might as well return your jacket and bibs as they are not fire retardant. Most companies offer a few pairs of coveralls and some sort of jacket bib combo with a portion of the cost coming off your cheque or deducted from pay should you leave prior to your probation ending. Also your gloves may not be accepted or useful for work. Hope that helps

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. teefen

What gloves do you guys recommend?

6. Goopie

So, predictions for this years season?

7. Michael

Hole digger

patch will be slow for next 5 plus years

8. NameLeSS

Buddy of my told me that Savanna Well Servicing is hiring experienced Floorhands and Derrickhands right now. They will be paying a $2.00 per hour bonus, subject to applicable taxes, to all service rig employees for each rig hour worked from October 15th, 2015 to March 31, 2016.

http://www.savannaenergy.com/Careers/

9. Bandit

Bandit
    [OP]
    I Miss Summer

I have moved into the production side and managed to get myself in to a Nat Gas refrig plant. Alot more security than well testing, but everyone can be cut if the price keeps dropping. But i agree the patch will be slow for a while yet. Fox creek area seems to be still fairly busy.

10. never_be_sold

Lots of work in Mod Yards for trades people.

11. MK

MK
    Rollin Low

It'll pick up at the end of this year, but a lot can happen in a year. Scary times for sure.

12. 24dsx-ual

obeyurcrotch

I don't see anything picking up by the end of this year or next.....not even close.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  13. Duggan

I would say 2016 is going to be pretty stagnant. Likely be as slow as 2009.

14. Bandit

Bandit
    [OP]
    I Miss Summer

Once production levels start to deplete in the states and canada. You will see things slowly start to increase for price.

There is no way to maintain the over supply of oil when they cut rig counts by 50-60%

15. Bandit

Bandit
    [OP]
    I Miss Summer

If any of you were offered a job in NB equal to the pay in alberta would you take it?

What if it was a jr oil company who cannot drill or frac right now due to the moratorium but says they have over a decade of production on hand.

Such a hard choice

16. Duggan

Consider the taxes, and then the cost of living differentiation. Where would you be living in NB?

17. Bandit

Bandit
    [OP]
    I Miss Summer

Between SJ and Moncton,

my biggest concern is no certain future for development

18. SevenNineSeven

Housing market is significantly cheaper in NB than it is in AB, especially if you're trying to buy a place in Fort Mac. As someone who has lived in NB, if you can find a job out there with the same pay as AB, take NB.