1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh RedShift... wipe the dust off the for sale sign

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Boots, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

(from a sneak peak at the upcoming issue of road and track magazine)

Cover Story

[​IMG]
    Renegade Rotary

SPEED Editor Sam Mitani gains exclusive access to Mazda's super-secret RX-8. With its specially-designed Mazdaspeed suspension improvements (shocks and springs, anti-roll bars) and supercharged rotary, this is one mean sports car, lapping Willow Springs faster than a Porsche Boxster S or the Nissan 350Z.

2. Scott

rawr

Nice! But why a supercharger over a turbo?

3. Tiggra

Jersey Girl

ohhhh that ones pretty!!

4. 24dsx-ual

obeyurcrotch

are they just lying to us again?

5. Mr.X

Sign by the X

thats badass

6. 91bluecivic

thats chillin for sure...

7. Tony

Think Happy Thoughts!

Next ride I do up will have a SC for shizzy!! I can't stand the BS involved with Turbo setups!!

8. Tiggra

Jersey Girl

the last car my dad had was supercharged, lol that one was lots of fun to drive!!

9. John Doe

Take it from someone who has supercharged a vehicle, there are just as many headaches!

10. Eisenflower

:rofl: Both are forced induction bro, and the exact same problems arise with either setup.

11. Scott

rawr

I know with mustangs, a supercharger kit is way easier to install and tune. Theyre pretty much bolt on and go. While a turbo kit usually take alot more time to tune and dyno tme to get it right. The gains though of the Turbo over the supercharger are obvious though..

My big reasoning is you take a car that produces so little torque anyways, and add another accesory. Takes power to turn a supercharger. A roots blower would work nice on this car giving it low end, but a turbo would be far better! No losses trying to turn a belt! No doubt it will work, just feel a turbo would better suit the car.

Pat, chime in hear, Im sure you know about this stuff!

12. John Doe

You're right here, the rotaries are meant to spin at higher RPMs (this is where they make power, in an almost linear fashion) and therefore a turbo would be better for this, BUT... it would have to be a relatively large turbo so that it would not start to bleed off boost towards redline. This would result in serious lag at low RPMs.. which is why there was the sequential turbo setup on the FD RX7 with the rotary motor. Sequential turbo setups are difficult to install, tune, maintian, everything... just basically difficult to deal with in general. Two of everything that's a pain in the ass isn't 2x the pain in the ass, it's more like pain in the ass^2. Haha

So, the supercharger would enable this free-revving motor to make more torque at lower RPMs at the expense of *some* power. Superchargers are parasitic, meaning that there is a symbiotic relationship that takes power to make power. On a vehicle such as this, a centrifugal supercharger makes the most sense and here is why:

They spool relatively quickly, generally making "full" boost by about 4000 RPMs (though they continue to make boost with RPMs) and this gives you very good linear power delivery charateristics that are quite in-tune with the way the rotary makes power in the first place. A roots blower is a personal favorite of mine, being as they take almost NO time to make boost and the power is always there, but they are *serious* heat generators and the rotaries aren't huge fans of heat to begin with. It is difficult/expensive to intercool a setup like this, which would make a sequential turbocharger setup seem like an attractive option again!

13. Scott

rawr

I always thought centrifugals dont make peak boost till peak RPM. If your at 4G and maker X amount of boost, and your gonna Rev to 9G well thats 5G faster that supercharger is going to spin. Unless its going to bleed the excess boost off, would it still not climb?

This is one reason why the centrifugals are better suited for high RPM race cars, vs the roots.

Very good points Pat. Thought about the sequential setup..it would be nice to see another TT RX8 though.

14. John Doe

I was kinda trying to say that when I put "full" boost in quotes and mentioned that boost continues to climb as RPMs do... there isn't really a "full" boost for a centrifugal s/c, though.. the higher you rev the higher the boost goes! You're right on that. :)

It would be stellar, particularly if it were reliable!

15. Scott

rawr

Very true!

guess we'll have to wait and see how this car performs!

Do they make a turbo kit for the current RX8?

16. John Doe

I'm not sure, hopefully Redshift will inform us!

17. Shafft

RC-OG

fuck that thing look hoT!

18. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

19. Scott

rawr

Now see..thats not to bad at all! Nice numbers!

Hopefully the superchargered version makes the same numbers!