Ode to JJ's

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Maverick, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Maverick

Maverick
    [OP]

This was sent to me this morning, apparently found on Facebook...thought it was worth sharing for all the former JJ Rossy's lovers out there:

2. ingress

_

ah JJ's a vomted on your dance floor

3. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

I miss that place...cheap drinks...easy chicks...what was not to love...

4. Relentless

Only thing not to love was the staircase of death in the back.

5. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

You just couldn't beat a $4.00 pitcher of draft and $0.05 recycled wings.

6. Maverick

Maverick
    [OP]

werd to that... I've seen pool table balls fly down that one!!!

7. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

word...watch your step

8. User1628

i used to work there when it was pitchmans

9. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

best post evar. fuck I miss JJs. The only bar I have ever been to when the sun was still shining on a regular weekday.

10. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

???

11. billybob

Or the hallway from hell behind the courtyard enterance. I took a few lumps in there a few times. :rofl:

12. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

I loved the sticky dance floor...

13. User1628

isnt JJ's hwere pitchmans/bubbles mansion is now?

14. billybob

no. it is now an NASCAD art gallery across the courtyard from the peddlers.

15. Relentless

No youngin, it was accross from Peddlers where NSCAD is now.

16. ingress

_

I still have fond memories of a friend of mine with his ass in the sink of the downstairs washroom

It was a hoy august night and we started the night at Alexanders, he was on a stool leaning over talking to some girl he knew , but he devolped a plumber
    we were able to see his ass crack clear as day, so I decide that it would be a good idea to poor the contents of a pepper shaker in the xposed opening.

He shifted around a bit but continued talking about 5 minutes later we decide were leaving and going over to JJ's so it was 100% humidity and about 25 out so we had a little sweat on walking to JJ's, somewhere around the museum of the Atlantic my buddy starts to squirm and act funny and kept scratching his ass. As soon as we were insight of the ferry terminal he sprints to the bathroom in the ferry terminal yelling "My ass is on fire" he gets in there and we catch up and he is just pulling his pants back on and splashing water, and he was like what is this grey stuff in my drawers we just laughed, nad he was ready to go, so we get up to JJ's and we are waiting in that line just for the sake of having a line. and he starts squirming agin but he is trying to stay calm because he still wants in the bar . We get in and he beelines for the batroom, a couple friends I stop and get a draught and then proceed to bathroom. and the we find him there sitting in the sink with the the water running over his ass, saying how the fuck did I get peeper in my ass

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Probably the only bar I can say I enjoyed myself at.

18. ingress

_

no that used to be Brandy's

19. Michael

Hole digger

best bar in halifax history! i have many memories of the bar and i attended its final night. down town hasnt been the same since
    i was a regular wed thurs and sat from a tender age of 17 on, ive laid people out and been laid out but never was i kicked out! oh how i miss teh JJ rossy's

20. Michael

Hole digger

goodie do you remember what the ale house used to be?

21. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Don't remember much of it... only been there a few times... really drunk and underage.

22. Michael

Hole digger

youngin:kekeke:

23. lonsie

I Never Finish Anyth

What stands out in my mind about that place were the dirty floors, bathrooms and couches, sitting on those couches was like begging for some infectious disease. Was fun though, had a blast. :D

24. Michael

Hole digger

walking by the pool table was the worst. it was like walking on glue

25. Sublime

Mmm limey

I too was there for the last night of JJ's! Did you get one of the "commemorative" t-shirts? I think mine got tossed a while ago.

Good memories... sticky pool tables that tilted, shooter girls who looked like they'd be sticky if you touched one, bouncers that used to haul me to the front of the line cause we were friends, cheap-ass drinks, walking across the cobblestone courtyard in high heels after a night of drinking... ah yes. Good times! :lol:

A year or so later I took a NASCAD course, and when we were led through the labyrinth of hallways & buildings we ended up in the upper dance floor of JJ's! That's where the NASCAD textile department is (or was back then). It was weird to sit at a drafting table in the exact same place I used to do the sprinkler! :rofl:

26. lonsie

I Never Finish Anyth

Yes, I know! It was awful... yet, we still ventured there every weekend. :lol:

27. takeachance

SO many good memories from there!!

Getting there before 9pm to avoid cover, hitting both the power hours and going to each of the bars to get as many of the 1$ drinks as possible in the couple hours available! Can't even count how many nights we did that then headed down to Merills!

28. Michael

Hole digger

sat night was the night i did this
    wednsday was the dome and thurs was palace always set up by jjs first

29. billybob

I'll share my favourite JJ's story......

I don't remember the date, but it wa some time in early 2002 I believe, duggan might be able to remember.

Back in the summer of 2001, a few girls I went to High School with decided to have a party. word got out about said party and the girls got scared of having a party with too many people so they turned it into a pubcrawl. This upbcrawl was a success. It was composed of mainly people from Sackville, so, needless to say, everyone was completely corked and making out with everyone. People talked about the pubcrawl for a while. It visited bars like the lower deck, JJ's, pogue Fado and the dome.

This was the beginning of something big.

Fast forward to early 2002. The girls decided to have another high pressure pub crawl, this time with much more coordination and evaluation. bars were called, shirts ware made, the drinks were promised to be cheap.

The pub crawl was given the name "Sackville Grease II", Grease I bieng the prequel held in the summer months. The shirts had the grease logo from the movie on the front and were baby blue, my favourite color. Mine was about a size too small and I think they did it on puropse, I rolled up the sleves and knew it was going to be a good night. The Grease II crawl commenced at a place well known as the Distinguished Key Largoes. If you find a better place to start a Sackville pub crawl, I haven't heard of it. There was no fucking way you were getting us all in The Party Dancefloor.

Drinking started at 5. doubles were cheap, beer was cheaper. it was great. you could tell it was going to be a good night when Brad Leblanc walked in with a funnel and he used it unscathed by Largoes staff. The crowd was limber, the scene was awesome. What happened next blew our minds. We knew there was going to be bus transportation to commute us to our next stop, the lower deck, but none of us expected to see a Halifax Double Decker fucking bus show up. it was a dream. we all stared as the bus driver almost worked a few civics and accents trying to manuvre this cunt in the less than perfect size parking lot. we all piled in.

The drive in was terrible. About 10 minutes into the ride, someone complained they needed to piss, which in turn, made everyone else have to piss. It was a bus full of half cut moaners and groaners trying to poke the person beside them in the bladder to add to the agony. Subway on barrington street was the lavatory of choice when we got downtown and people started jumping off the moving bus as it careened to our next location.

At 7 pm, The lower Deck was already Jam packed full of baby blue t-shirts, which made the pale faced, piss headached people from the bus happy. The beer was cold, the food was good and the company was top notch. By the time we were ready to leave, I was loaded, as was a good chunk of the Grease II patrons. This is where I turn into typical Sackville and start having small chunks of my memory float into the depts of my brain I haven't discovered yet. Hopefully they will all come back to me when I am in a Boardroom Meeting when I am 45. That would be remarkable.

I'm not sure if we went to the Split Crow or not, but whatever, because the next stop was JJ's. It felt like forever getting inside the door, but we were all like Kids having a free for all at Cybils Sweets in the Sackville Town Center. I expect 4 people on RC to know about Cybils Sweets. The air was hot and the drinks were flowing. the top floor was engulfed in baby blue, it was like JJ's had no roof and wide open, hammered blue sky when you looked up from below. This is where the story telling ends and Sackvilles true lights shine through. We were a mess, people were passing out, people were dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld. It was mayhem. The bartenders hated us. we were hovering around the upstairs 6 deep yelling for drinks, throwing money like chinese people betting on a bloodsport fight. It was awe inspiring. The bell was ringing at the bar like a fire hall on halloween and to this day, I have no idea why they rang it. Tip bad, tip good, dont tip at all and they were ringing the shit out of that thing.

After that, the sky clouded over. One of my buddies, Sackvillans know as Marc Joudrey, got into a bit of trouble. I'm not sure on the details, but he saw one of his buddies GF's get a bit roughed up by a bouncer and he leapt into action. He sailed over 3-4 people and cracked the bouncer square in the jaw, crippling him. go time.

It was like a bomb blew up on the top floor of JJ's. Bouncers were climbing up the stairs bieng met with right hooks and boots to the chest like something out of a movie. It was absolute pandemonium. It was an entangled mess of blue and black, spilling down the stairs around the entire bar and, eventually out into the courtyard. Bouncers and blue shirts were dropping like flies. I managed to grab one of my buddies that completely laid out a bouncer and pulled him outside before he was impaled. Outside was just as bad. By this time, paddy wagons and cop cars were closing in from every direction. The guy that showed up with the funnel at the beginning of the night took a shot like I have never seen before. sailing to the ground and corking his head off the cobblestone was not a goood sound. There was a guy in the back hallway getting worked by 3 bouncers and 4 of us went in to get him. It was Marc, the guy that started it all. I flew in like a linebacker trying to bust open a flying V on the gridiron. It worked like a charm. I bowled over all three guys and we managed to pull Marc to safety, only to be met by 2 cops that grabbed him and tossed him in the back of the second paddy wagon. there was like 15 guys incarcerated that night.

Word spread around halifax like your boy Vince Coleman was pumping out morse code. every bar in halifax was denying entry to anyone wearing a baby blue pub crawl shirt. thats fine. Lets ditch the shirts. the attire under the shirts was something else. In true sackville fashion, guys were wearing white under shirts and beaters trying to get in the dome, girls were wearing some of the sluttiest spaghetti strap tank tops I have ever seen to try and get in the palace. Within 15 minutes of the Bru ha ha, every bar in Halifax was denying entry to anyone with Lower Sackville on their ID. It was a sad scene. A sadder scene when we realized it was only 10 pm. I don't have much recollection of the night after this. Probably because the 12 triples I destroyed at JJ's were finally kicking in.

This night will forever be etched in my memory as the night JJ's died. It ended up closing down about 2 months later and I didn't make it back in fear of getting my ass handed to my by the 3 bouncers I drilled onto their faces. It was shortly after where I found a good perch in front of the shooter bar at the palace anyways. But thats a whole different story.......

30. Maverick

Maverick
    [OP]

I played on a intramural hockey team at SMU that was sponsored by JJs - We were the JJ Rossy Boosehounds!!!

still have the jersey, I'll post a pic later

31. Michael

Hole digger

:eek3:
    .:rofl: :rofl: best story ever

32. Scott

rawr

Damn, we used to kill wing night at JJs. Good times for sure!

33. Pottie

Such a heartwarming story Rob. I've spent many a night at JJ's, wednesday through to the weekend. If only we could have a bar like that again.

34. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

Mike...didn't you get your fake id taken from you there?...lol..when you went down with your "dad"...

35. Michael

Hole digger

fuck i had no id and we made craig act like he was my dad:lol: :rofl: :p :rofl: