[NWS] Tony Stewart Kills Opponent with Sprint Car after Argument

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by NameLeSS, Aug 10, 2014.

1. NameLeSS

NameLeSS
    [OP]

Tony Stewart hit and killed driver Kevin Ward Jr., who walked toward Stewart's sprint car Saturday night after the two had an altercation at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, according to authorities, witnesses and video of the tragedy.

The three-time Cup champion was racing a sprint car in the Empire Super Sprints series at the half-mile dirt track in upstate New York, about an hour from Watkins Glen International, site of this weekend’s Cup race.

UPDATE: Tony Stewart plans to race today at Watkins Glen

The Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Office confirmed in a news release that the victim, whom it did not name, was declared dead 45 minutes after the accident upon arrival at Thompson Hospital.

"Mr. Stewart has cooperated with the investigation, which is ongoing," the release stated.

Stewart was not arrested and the sheriff told reporters that the driver had returned to Watkins Glen. The case will be handled by the district attorney.

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.

"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn’t see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. His description was similar to that of Graves and video of the tragedy showed Stewart's car hitting Ward.

“People (who could see it better) said the guy got out of his car and was gesturing angrily at Tony Stewart when Tony Stewart came by during the next lap under yellow,” Willis said in a phone interview. “He approached him and evidently when he was driving by the guy standing on the track gesturing at him, he gunned his engine.

“What happened was the back end kicked out and clipped the guy and the guy flew across the track.”

Graves said it appeared to him that Stewart swerved before gunning the engine but he did not believe it was intentional.

"You never mean to do something like that," Graves said. "Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn't happy either. He went over the line with it."

Graves got emotional as he talked about Ward, whom he raced against last week in the Patriot Sprint Tour. In that race Graves' car broke, he got upside down and Ward hit him.

"The first thing Kevin said to me (last week after the accident) was, 'I'm glad you're OK,'" Graves said. "He hit me full throttle. I've been friends with Kevin for the last several years. … He's a clean racer."

The sheriff's department asked for any amateur video be sent to it for use during the investigation. It said the race was on lap 14 of a 25-lap event.

"The driver of the car that spun, exited the race car and walked down the track onto the racing surface," the sheriff's news release states. "Two racecars traveling in tandem approached as the driver continued down the track, gesturing to the two approaching cars.

"The first car swerved to avoid the driver out on the track. The second car, operated by Tony Stewart, struck the driver."

The 43-year-old Stewart has 48 Cup wins in 542 career starts. Stewart, who missed the last 15 Cup races last year after breaking his leg in two places in a sprint-car crash, is winless and 19th in the standings this year.

There was no immediate word whether Stewart-Haas Racing, co-owned by Stewart, would field Stewart’s car Sunday at Watkins Glen. With him released without being arrested, Stewart could race at The Glen, or the team could opt to put a different driver in the car or withdraw. Stewart is scheduled to start 13th .

"A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating," an SHR spokesman said in a statement. "Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

Graves, who described himself as a huge Stewart fan until Saturday night, doesn't think Stewart should be racing.

"Tony Stewart needs to be put in prison for life," Graves said.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Saw that this morning. Its kind of questionable.

3. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Brutal.

Unfortunately both are at fault here. Tony obviously hit the guy, but the guy shouldn't have been on the track trying to taunt him.

4. NameLeSS

NameLeSS
    [OP]

What i don't understand why is he racing today? If it was some random Joe Blow, he would not be racing the next day.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Why would you want to race the next day after killing someone?

6. C. Mike Hunt

[tweet]498475377975914496[/tweet]

7. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Wow - I knew Tony was a hot head but that looks pretty bad.

8. PirateSteve

We'll never know what was going through Stewart's mind, whether he saw him or didn't or whether he meant to buzz him, not hit him. The only certain is that the dead guy should never have gotten out of his car and ran into traffic like that. Very stupid and he paid for it with his life.

9. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

That's the first thing they teach you in karting. Go off, stay in the kart until a marshall comes over.

10. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

You can hear Tony's engine rev right before the impact. The guy shouldn't have been out there but I think hot head Tony can take a lot of the blame here. Wonder if there will be charges.

11. PirateSteve

Yeah, unless you are on fire you stay buckled up until safety gets there. Some of these good ole boys and pro's forget this sometimes. Team owner I worked for was involved in a nasty wreck at Watkins about 10 years ago. Multi car pile up after sudden weather change, and he decided to unbelt. 2 more cars hit him and ended his driving days.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you be sure that is his engine from a cell phone video taken from a couple hundred feet with 30 other cars on track???

12. 17

teenage dirtbag

thats ridiculous. you cant prove its his car.

you gotta keep in mind that these outlaw cars have extremely limited view on the right side, he couldnt see him until it was too late and even then did what he could to miss him. what people are mistaking as a swerve towards ward is stewart swinging the rear end out to avoid him last second. these are direct drive 750hp cars and you steer with the throttle.
    stewart is an extremely wealthy driver with a spotless career and co owns a multi million dollar race team. hes not going to risk all that to buzz a 20 yr old kid who bumped him and spun himself out in a series that not many people care about.

its tragic, but ward shouldnt have been running down towards cars that are still going 50-60mph under yellow. thats an easily lost life gamble

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  13. NameLeSS

NameLeSS
    [OP]

Several people that were at the track said Tony sped up probably planning to scare the guy and his car fish tailed. Causing him to clip the man. Either way the fact that he sped will cause him to be in some SERIOUS trouble. Nascar drivers walk on the track all the time. First of all, there was a caution once he wrecked so the cars should've been slowing down. Tony was the only car that went up that high. He gases it to scare the guy and hits him. Doesn't matter whether the man was walking on te track.

this was from another poster

14. NameLeSS

NameLeSS
    [OP]

Found this quote on the whole tony speeding up.

15. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

"The gas happens after the car is past him"

False.

16. 17

teenage dirtbag

the kid hit tony and spun out. stewart races these cars on a weekly basis, he knows how to control them as he won a few championships in them. they are extremely squirrely at low speed, there is no clutch, you cant really do anything to themto razz someone else like putting in a clutch and making some noise. when you press the gas, they are gone.hes not going to risk losing control on a caution lap to buzz another driver. ward was wearing a dark fire suit in a dark stretch of the track, steward has limited right side visibility, limited forward visibility due to speed and a car in front of him. he didnt see him coming. ward almost got hit by the other 2 cars before tonys.
    the only person who killed kevin ward was kevin ward.
    youre kidding right

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Honestly, until the investigation is done, nobody can say one way or another if any of the blame lies with the driver. Easy to armchair quarterback this one.

18. NameLeSS

NameLeSS
    [OP]

Are you, i said the post is not my.So why would i be kidding? :drive:

19. Hiltzy

I don't see anything that shows me Tony tried to intentionally hit the guy...I think he didn't see him until it was too late...another car barely missed him.

Bottom line, you don't walk out into moving traffic. Its very tragic and a needless loss of life.

20. 17

teenage dirtbag

thats from a former sprint car drivers facebook page

21. Leroy

@danackles29

Terrible tragedy. No criminal charges will be laid, and I agree thats the best, wouldn't bring this kids life back. I wouldn't doubt Tony will do anything he can for the kids family. It is a very poorly lit track, its crazy lots of these small tracks have shitty lighting.

22. knightmare

This...
    Nascar has slowly turned into WWE, with the stupid drama and pit lane brawls. these these kids who race shifter carts and dirt track try and emulate their "hero's" but all they're doing is risking their own lives for the wrong reasons. every proper racer knows...if you wreck, stay in your car and take your grievance to the stewards, you'll live longer. when was the last time a driver was hit on a hot track in WEC, DTM, or Formula1?

23. tribeachpunk

[tweet]514852425505992704[/tweet]

24. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Right decision.

25. Sublime

Mmm limey

Family could still file a civil suit, but hopefully the worst of the legal stuff is behind him

Was surprised to hear on Race Hub that Ward Jr. had marijuana in his system that night (not that it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things)

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

If he was high driving those cars the fault is 100% on him. Stupid move.

27. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Still think Tony tried to "buzz" him and is at least partially responsible.

28. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Pot stays in your system for a while.

29. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah, that's why I said "if" he was high. I'm assuming he wasn't actually high at the time.

30. drose

Anyone who deliberately walks into moving traffic is looking to get mowed down.

31. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Tony Stewart in his younger days - Skip to 1:05

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  32. drose

What I notice is that he had the good sense to stand behind his car and not in the path of a moving car. He only moved out from behind his car once the person of interest was stopped in front of him.