1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NS Politics

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Grifter, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

Surprised no one has brought it up yet. What does everyone think about Rankin taking the helm? Is he qualified? Does he suit the job? Enough experience? Thoughts?

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I honestly don't know much about him. Need to do some learning.

3. C. Mike Hunt

He doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies but IMO was the best of a bad lot.

chainsaw likes this.
  4. Wayne

I am curious...why are we always saying "best of the shitty options"? Is there some reason why we see very few decent people in politics? Why all the shady and shit people in that space?

Grifter likes this.
  5. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I don’t think people are being fair. Rankin has a degree in Golf Club Management which will be great for the province.

chainsaw likes this.
  6. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

:wtf: Can't tell if being serious or sarcastic...... :wtf:

7. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I don't really know Rankin - from his Wikipedia page, that jumped out at me. That, combined with him being the Minister of Environment and selling off a NS Provincial Park to a US developer to build a golf course.

8. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

I did the same thing. I used to live in his father's riding and can't recall anyone ever saying anything good about him.

But when I read his wikipedia page all I could think of was "how?". :lol:

9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Nova Scotia hasn't had strong leadership at the provincial level in quite a while, IMO - in any party. John Hamm I remember being somewhat good? And Savage before him. John Buchanan, I was too young to know whether he was doing a good job. I mostly remember him from when I got my Chief Scout's award as the ceremony for that was at the Legislature and he gave me the award.

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

McNeil was a pretty strong leader. A lot didn't agree with his union fighting but you can't say he didn't show strong leadership.

11. chainsaw

I don't think I would go as far as saying strong leadership. I think it was more of making sure the party towed the line no matter what whether that be through good leadership or fear. There were way too many things done with no accountability or transparency to say strong leadership. That coupled with the number of MLA's that are deciding to not re-offer next election makes one tend to believe that the shit is going to hit the fan at some point after he leaves office.

As for the 3 candidates, I also don't know much of any of them but he seemed to be the best choice of the three, but all 3 were staunch McNeil supporters so I really don't think we are going to see any major changes to the way it is now. That and the fact that o'le Stevie boy is still there until next election, I'm sure he will weigh in heavily until then.

Hoping this guy will have some smarts when it comes to Churchill's constituency and that damn money pit Ferry

Scott and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  12. 17

teenage dirtbag

Also probably one of the most fiscally conservative premiers we have ever had

i would have voted for him again. I don’t trust Houston as far as I can throw him

13. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

McNeil didn't seem to me to be a bad Premier. Can't say anything he did riled me up or made me call for his head like I do Trudeau.

14. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

My wife is a teacher. McNeil was an a-hole to teachers. It may bias my view of him.

chainsaw and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  15. KLD

KLD

I think many people are well meaning when the initially get into politics, but over time are pressured to tow the line, do what it takes to win votes, etc. I would never want to do it, that's for sure.

16. Scott

rawr

I feel the opposite. Other than the Covid thing, can't say I was a fan of much of what McNeil did. Like Chainsaw said, ran a very un-transparent government. He was mostly fiscally conservative, I'll give him that, except for the ferry he kept a float.

Now Houston, I'd like to think he'll be better. He says most of the right things. But as the opposition, he really has to at this point. So time will tell.

Rankin seems like a twit.

chainsaw and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  17. 17

teenage dirtbag

I agree with those criticisms, there were way too many back room deals and that ferry needs to fucking go. If Churchill wants a crack at being more than mla he needs to let it go.

I have no horse in the union race so to me, McNeil not bending over for the unions was fine.

18. Scott

rawr

ugh, I think I dislike Churchhill more than than Rankin lol

chainsaw likes this.
  19. 17

teenage dirtbag

We went to school together and hung out in the same social circles, personally he’s a great dude and very ambitious, I just don’t think he’s going to be a popular vote outside of southwest NS unfortunately

20. Scott

rawr

Im sure its like that for most people in politics. Close circles, good people. I do wonder if being under McNeil and being Education minister didn't help his reputation outside the area.

21. 17

teenage dirtbag

It’s also a terrible time to be education minister :lol:

22. Scott

rawr

I don't think its ever a good time tbh lol

17 likes this.
  23. chainsaw

Truth to that, but numbnuts seemed to be the most uneducated minister in regard to education in recent memory. The guy looked like he didn't have a GD clue anytime anyone asked him a question. Open the windows with a smirk has to be the most insulting fucking answer I've ever heard.

Also, OT, this situation in NFLD with the crazy outbreak mostly related to High School kids is scary, with everything opening back up here right now, and the measures currently in place in schools, we could be in a similar situation very quickly.

And I agree with HairyAssHairyAss about the teachers, but will go one step further to say McNeil had a hate on for any/every union

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Definitely fiscally conservative, our provincial debt grew the least of all the provinces over the past decade. I liked that he took the finances seriously and didn't just spend like it's a bottomless pit. I kind of liked that he stood up to the unions and I come from a family full of teachers lol

The ferry thing is BS though. You can't tell the unions no more money and then dump a bunch of money to keep a sinking ship afloat.

25. chainsaw

I don't understand the union hate. People just blindly talk negatively about unions because they aren't in one. Yeah I agree that in certain unions (especially in the past) people rode the gravy train etc, but when you look at teachers, nurses, EPA's, and I'm sure many others it just is not the case. People in private industry get raises more frequently, bonuses etc which many of the unions listed above do not or do not even have the option of overtime, flextime, etc and are expected to work on their own dime. And when it comes to teachers especially, I don't think that there have been any crazy or excessive asks in the last 15+ years. Hell most are actually taking home less than they were 10 years ago. It's infuriating when the hate train bandwagon starts especially when it's not all about raises and more time off

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Everyone knows teachers are lazy freeloaders :kekeke:

Scott and Grifter like this.
  27. chainsaw

Oh for sure :bounce:

Grifter likes this.
  28. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?