Novice Ice Hockey Player

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by tommi, Feb 22, 2009.

1. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

I am 21 and haven't played ice hockey since I was 13. I really want to get into playing at a rink every so often. I know hockey and the rules just like any other big hockey fan.

Are there any programs for Beginner "Adults" to learn to play the game? I called Dartmouth Sportsplex, and they don't offer classes of any sort, but CLUBS/Minor Teams come in and use their ice for either classes/practices or games.

I wish I had started playing when I was a kid. :happysad: I was a baseball boy.

2. tribeachpunk

I have the same problem...

3. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

hahah awesome, that makes me feel better!

maybe you and I could meet up and go together.. could make things a little less uncomfortable, i dont know..

I know that my coworkers goto Centennial Arena every friday night for 2-3 hours and just play pickup. They invited me to go and play, (and i think i might), but I really dont want to ruin their fun. They've been playing for 15 years every friday.

4. Markus

interwebz

I might be into this, unfortunately I don't have all the equipment yet, I should check out "play it again sports or Kijiji.

5. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

Yea man! Do it!

I dont have ANY equipment either but I'm going to pick up all my gear through Kijiji or Sportchek or Play it again Sports or maybe even Sportwheels.

How old are you guys?
    Have you played before?

6. Markus

interwebz

Where is Sportwheels??
    I'm 39 and can still skate like a motherfucker. I just bought skates this winter, so I am up for that. If I can get all the gear for a reasonable price, I am in.

7. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

theres good gloves on kijiji for $25, pants for around $40, sticks from $50 for a good one. not too bad for used stuff.

i just bought my skates too, a few weeks ago.

Sportwheels is in Lower Sackville, right next to Cars R Us and across from Payzants. They have used skates as well as used hockey gear + much much more, variety of sporting equipment.

8. Matt30

Shinny hockey!

Track down a group looking for players.

9. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

Huh???

Shinny (or shinney) is an informal type of hockey played on ice or the street. There are no formal rules or specific positions, and generally, there are no goaltenders. The goal areas at each end may be marked simply by objects, such as blocks of snow, stones, etc. Bodychecking and lifting or "roofing/reefing/raising the puck" (shooting the puck or ball so it rises above the ice) are often forbidden because the players are not wearing protective equipment. It may also be called pick-up hockey, pond hockey or "outdoor puck". Shinny is a game that all levels of hockey enthusiasts can play because it requires no rink, requires no skills except ability to hold a stick and at the very least to try to touch the puck or ball when it goes by. Shinny may be completely non-competitive and recreational - scoring irrelevant - or competitive and scores kept.

10. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

^ How much of that is accurate? lol

11. Matt30

None really.

You play a game of hockey, just wth no ref's. Decide teams amongst yourselves.

12. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

Thats what I'd like to do... with goalies of course. And I'd like to play with "formal rules" :)

ahhhh, i cant wait..

13. Majarvis

I'd like to get back into hockey once I'm done school and actually have free time and money for gear. I haven't played in almost 10 years. I'd have to train for at least six months to get my legs back in proper condition. Can't have rubber legs playing nets, lol.

14. Daver

i would also suggest looking for a shinny game. the only rule you follow is no contact. just put on a dark or light jersey.

sometimes just renting the ice with some friends is a good way to get the rust out, usually get 15 guys and pay 10-12 bucks for the hour

15. Hiltzy

Werd. I play on Fri nights at the Civic Arena. Been tryin like a mofo to find a second game a week....no love.

AND I LIVE RIGHT BY COLE HARBOUR PLACE....I COULD WALK THER!!!!!!! :mad:

16. arsehole

I miss playing too. Haven't played since my Halifax Hawks days 10 years ago. Highschool, drugs, alchohol and girls took over at 16 :lol:

Still have all my goalie gear sitting in the attic. Also bought a new pair of skates a couple years ago and dicked around with friends on the flooded tennis courts in the northend at Highland Park Jr High. So I know I can still skate, but I need to kick the smoking before anything serious. :lol:

17. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I'm looking at starting a group in the fall specifically for people in this type of situation. I've mostly been talking with some friends and neighbors to this point.. I did something similar when I lived in Ottawa that we called the "Crappy Hockey League (CHL)". It's essentially the same as going out for shinny hockey, but with the knowledge when you head out that the majority of the people playing are going to be in the same situation - haven't skated in a while, low skill level, etc. etc.

I could be prodded into trying to make this happen now if there's a ton of interest..

FWIW, I've headed out a few times with Matt30, DaveR, and the rest of the crew posting here and they're all a good bunch of guys. Even if you end up zamboni-ing the ice for the entire night, it's just for fun!

PS: Matt, Dave - I haven't played in ages, are you guys still going? Can I get in on the next night?

18. tommi

tommi
    [OP]

I would be quite interested, obviously.

19. Matt30

Theres been nothing regular for a while. Luckily my gents league plays 2 nights a week. Any pick up i have been playing has been at ungodly hours of the night and is usually for me being a last minute substitute in goal.

If you can play from 11pm to 12am on saturdays we might be getting our regular time slot back in spryfield.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  20. arsehole

Hmmm CHL...sounds good to my out of shape-couch potatoe-chain smoking ass :lol:

21. Hiltzy

HA....would be interested...though I don't fit into the "hasn't played in a while" catagory....would love to find some summer hockey as well.