Newfoundlanders

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by SE, Feb 9, 2009.

1. SE

SE
    [OP]

Seriously.. I can't stand to hear it anymore. The accent isin't as bad.. but the words. Lately I have been sooo annoyed by " Oh it was a time" or "Having a time." OK, what kind of time are you having?!?!?!

That is all.

I feel so much better now. :o

2. Stallion

I talk like that and I'm not even from NFLD.

3. Islandboy

my fav is..."where ya to?" WTF!!:confused:

4. Elcoopto

This is racism hitler.

5. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

wheeliesssssssssssssssssssss

6. billybob

Havin a time.

7. billybob

The best Oiler wasn't Gretzky, it was Beukeboom!

8. briangtiguy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQS1Rwo5vp0"]YouTube - Havin A Time[/ame]

:D

9. b-bob

My roommate is from Newfoundland and I don't mind the talk too much but SO loud!!! People coming into the building can hear her, sometimes it's just too much.

10. SE

SE
    [OP]

FUCK I HATE THAT. I got to the point where I can't even bare to talk to people who are newfie because I am thinking about everything they say.

Whats ya be doing

You looks great

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  11. SE

SE
    [OP]

IT is not English, don't they know this?

And my boyfriends family is from Newfieland, sometimes I catch him saying something..like whats you carrying on about?

:rofl: at the video.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  12. slouse

You have it easy.

13. infatuous

I can't stand the way they talk. It's almost as bad as prestoneeze in regard of intelligence impression factor.

14. CKR

CKR

Guy at work, every time he talks to me I say to him "sloooow it down now, come again" even when he speaks slowly, I have a hard time understanding him.
    He's from Port aux basque, I'd put $$ down that people from other parts of NL can't understand him. :lol:

15. Michael

Hole digger

i work with bay whops three weeks at a time.
    i do not mind the accent.

16. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

That's because you now sound/talk like'em:kekeke:

17. hammer

Richard Simmons

Even in ST John's there are different accents, west end, signal hill, shea heights etc etc I've met people that I can't understand, having lived in St John's for 30 years. People tell me I don't have much of an accent, but I suppose that's because I don't have any "around da bay" roots

And trust me, there's various accents around NS as well that can be just as annoying. Whatever, good people are good people.

18. Gerald

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8EpmoLmwk"]YouTube - Gazeebow Unit - Trikes & Bikes[/ame]

19. Ryan_NS

I don't mind any of the Newfie accents at all. I suppose they are all fairly related to my Caper accent for the most part so they were always pretty easy to understand and relate to. For the most part "Newfie" accents are very, very similar to a South Eastern (Wexford, Waterford) Irish accent which is pretty cool to see if you are ever over there.

Anytime I am in the UK/Ireland I make sure to really throw on my accent as heavy as I can. It's funny as hell to see people trying to place it. They recognize bits of it, but other parts throw them completley off :lol: I usually am assumed as being Northern Irish.

The one local accent that I really find annoying is the "South Shore" accent! For some reason, the way they drawl their words gets to me.

The sad thing is a lot of the regional accents are slowly disappearing :happysad:

20. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

I deal with them all day every day. It’s like another world over there. I cant make them out, they are terrible payers. I feel bad; there is a lot of unemployment over there. Its like old country or something. Tell them every day; no where in the world accepts post dated checks.

but there words and voices bug the shit out of me

21. dunphyk

From the Dictonary of Newfoundland English

time n DC ~ n (1950, 1963); cp DAE 10: on a time 'spree' (1855 quot), NID 12 c 'carousal.' A party or celebration, esp a communal gathering with dancing, entertainment, etc; cp SCOFF n.

1878 HOWLEY MS Reminiscences 2 But ... while on a visit to Bett's Cove [he] got on a time and 'let the cat out of the bag.'

1933 GREENLEAF xxii To raise money for the schoolhouse and the church, the Sally's Cove people held a 'toime' on Orangemen's Day, which took the form of an all-day fair and was held in the schoolhouse. [1956]

1981 Evening Telegram 28 Aug, p. 6 The people of Lance Cove are going to hold a 'time' for a Lance Cove man [who] will be going away to camp shortly.

T 200-65 An' the most years now there'd be a time in the hall that night. An' now then all the boys go to the hall, take the wren with us an' tie it on the Christmas tree. An' then you'd dance till the sunrise.

T 222-66 In the smaller places during the fall and winter months almost every night there is some kind of a 'time' on, as any social function is called. It might be a dance or a concert, a church supper an' so on; whatever it is, it's called a time. And everybody goes to these times.

1967 Bk of Nfld iv, 236 The women too had their meetings, the highlights for us being their two semi-annual 'Times' in the Lodge. Here would be the big cooked scoff of salt-water birds or pork and cabbage with a grand assortment of vegetables... Crowds of children would congregate around the 'fish-pond' and try their luck.

1969 Christmas Mumming in Nfld 133 Essentially, a 'time' is an occasion of sanctioned deviation—thus, mummers mean a 'time,' and drinking (frowned upon except at sanctioned occasions, such as weddings and Christmas) means a 'time.' If a wedding, for example, did not have much 'brew,' people will say, 'We didn't really have a time, did we?'

1976 Decks Awash v (5), p. 9 People on the island would occasionally visit friends to have games of cards or checkers. And there were the usual 'times.'

What you must understand, is that until Confederation with Canada in 1949, and even until the mass outmigration of folks looking for work in "Canada" which began in the mid 1970's, Newfoundland (the island portion) remained a very isolated culture.

Many of the words in common use, even to today though lessened somewhat, come from slang, or are words that are no longer in use in other cultures, or words that hold meanings that are not commonly known today. This is a result of a language that came from Europe (mostly Irish/English with a little bit of bastardized French, and a smattering of others thrown in for good measure) that has largely retained it's native character.

Want some examples? I recently read the complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I was absolutely amazed at the amount of turns of phrase in those stories (that would be considered old English by most) that are in common use even today in Newfoundland.

The speech has nothing to do with the relative intelligence of the person delivering it.

Just as the fact that most Nova Scotians (especially those born in Halifax) have an accent that sounds very snobbish and conceited (yes, to an outsider, it does) doesn't mean they are.

I was born in Newfoundland (1971), and moved to Nova Scotia in 1998. I am speaking from both sides of the coin.

22. Wieselette

I'm from Newfoundland and I love our dialect! Yes we talk fast, but that's all ya can do b'y!
    Whadda ya at me duckie lol

23. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

House arrest, not so much a time. :kekeke:

24. ~*Ash*~

My best friends BF and another dude that lives with us is from NFLD and I don't mind it at all...I love them actually! The ALBERTAN (West) accent pisses me off way more than any east coast accent ever would. You can pick it up right away.

25. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

26. Wieselette

27. Inopia

Newfie accent > *

When I drink, it comes out.. and I'm not from newfoundland whatsoever.

28. ingress

_

DoMeByDeBumBy'

29. maniac

People from out west always ask me if i'm from newfoundland. i may sound like some newfies though, but there are definately some different accents going on over there. The worst are the english/french ones.

30. thunder

my av is me

westerners have accents? :eek3:

31. ingress

_

yes

32. Burrahobbit

Lebaneser Scrooge

it's "do-me-be-the-bum-by'

33. ~*Ash*~

Me too!!! I even get Newfs asking me "what part of the rock ya from b'y" hahahaa

Hell yeah! I can always tell, they talk really slow and drawn out, almost like they're 1/2 baked or something. And they say their A's funny. Like a ham and swiss they say Haum..I can't really type how they say it, it's just weird...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  34. Ryan_NS

A lot of Westerner's seem to have a "Minnesota" accent. Similar to the one in the movie Fargo.

35. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

I-gots-to-gets-me-skins-by.