New TV - been a while

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Oct 25, 2020.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Looking at TV’s for probably the first time in 15 years. I remember 15 years ago spending over $2k for our current 46” Samsung. It still looks awesome, no issues. It’s not 4K but I don’t really think you need that.

Not looking to break the bank - TV will go into our cottage but also don’t want to buy a piece of junk. As an example TCL Roku TV’s weren’t even a brand when I bought the Samsung - seem to get decent reviews. Worth it?

Also almost impossible to find anything in the 46” size - over 50 or under 40 seem to be the hot spots.

Thoughts? Let’s say $500?

2. C. Mike Hunt

3. Lex Lucas

feels good.

4. Arod

I bought a TCL 6 series last year and have nothing but great things to say about it.

HairyAss likes this.
  5. Grifter

Bluh?

4K... You said you don't need it. So did I when we bought our Samsung 65" at Xmas boxing day sales last year. But man do I love it. Once you actually watch something that shows off 4K? You notice the difference when it's not 4K. I was a firm advocate that it's overrated this time last year. But now? Haha.

Need no. Want? Yes.

6. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

500usd? Bang for buck I'd be looking at the higher end TCLs or Vizios. Some of them get amazing reviews. But I'd also suggest you make sure it's not only smrt, but that it also has Google home integration.

Grifter likes this.
  7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I bought a 58" Hisense Roku 4K TV and it's great. It was < $500 CAD tax in :rofl:

8. Grifter

Bluh?

Second for Vizio. I don't have personal experience with TCL but while they get mostly positive reviews from folks it's WHILE they work, and am told they don't last that long.

I'm a Sony/Samsung guy myself for our TV's though.

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The higher end TCL's seem to be at the top of most reviews for bang for the buck on both image quality and smart features (we use roku at home so having at the cottage would be natural).

Caveat being that we won't have internet at the cottage so we'll have to see how well smart features work over a cell data connection. :P

Grifter likes this.