1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New RSX > old RSX

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Shafft, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Shafft

Shafft
    [OP]
    RC-OG

there's a new one at Atlantic and whoa.. nice improvements!

2. John Doe

Funny what de-gimmicking the lights and adding a proper set of wheels will do..

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

don't forget upping the redline :D

4. Eisenflower

Thanks to DC5 JDM ITR valvetrain.

5. pmachan

Pics?

6. Shafft

Shafft
    [OP]
    RC-OG

7. Shafft

Shafft
    [OP]
    RC-OG

8. Eisenflower

And the New JDM ITR!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Shafft

Shafft
    [OP]
    RC-OG

10. Eisenflower

New to 05 for type-S models:
    -210hp
    -Type R camshaft.
    -Higher redline (8100 rpm).
    -Better valve springs.
    -Type R final drive ratio (4.765).
    -Larger exhaust system.
    -Thicker front and rear stabalizer bars.
    -Stiffer suspension
    -17" rims.
    -Redesign front seats (more side bolstering).
    -New gauge cluster.
    -Small interior changes such as leather on the doors and more titanium accent pieces.

11. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pmachan

Nice. I like the new wheels, never liked the old ones at all.

13. Ty

Ty
    Freddy Beach Bad Boy

So much nicer then the old ones..definate improvements there. That Type R is awesome, but I still like the old Teg Type R's better I think.

Tyler

14. devast8

The performance part is awesome, the wheels are definitely nicer, and the side skirts look better and remind me of the OEM side skirts of the DC2 optional body kit. The only thing I don’t like is the spoiler, none would be better IMO. It’s only the headlight and the taillight that I would have left them untouched (only the shape) but that’s just me.

15. Shafft

Shafft
    [OP]
    RC-OG

it's not a spoiler and it looks sweeet!

16. shaun

Freedom 27

Hmm, that is really nice.

17. devast8

kinda remind me of the echo spoiler :ugh:
    IMO shaved or DC5-R spoiler but most likely shaved

*note: I couldn’t care less, it’s just a detail 8)

18. Cody

Definatly nice but still a little overpriced IMO.

19. Wolfe

p/t Firefighter - 24/7

i like it a lot.

20. Mr.X

Sign by the X

sweet car

21. STYLINator

Missy

22. John Doe

I don't get how it is overpriced.

23. Cody

The RSX-S which everyone is talking about in here is $34,500. That's what I paid for my WRX, I'd much prefer the extra 17 Hp, 82ft/lbs torque, AWD and the turbo engine which has much more potential for tuning.

I just think that's about $5,000 too much for what you get but of course that's my opinion and I'm a subaru bigot.

24. John Doe

Well the RSX has more features/amenities such as a sunroof, leather interior, BOSE stereo, a higher quality interior, better materials, better build quality and a better reputation for reliability. It also has better residual values, thus making it a better value in the end than a WRX. So, I still don't see how that is overpriced, just different.

25. devast8

better paint also then subaru

26. Cody

While I agree that the interior is of higher quality I disagree about your statements regarding the build quality and build materials. Subaru's are globally known for being well built and lasting forever, this is why they have a large cult following. Even if the RSX came in an AWD trim I seriously doubt it could be competative with Subarus in Group N rally (which IMO is an excellent statement about a brands build quality since group N cars are very close to stock).

Also subaru residual values on the WRX and STI are quite high, I'm not aware of the residual value of the RSX but I am sure it's very close to the WRX.

Anyway I'm sure we could argue about this for weeks so lets agree to disagree.

27. Cody

Agreed, subaru paint chips easily.

28. John Doe

You can't agree that the RSX has a nicer interior AND argue that the WRX has similar build quality and materials. That is contradictory.

29. Cody

When I refer to build quality I refer to the car in it's entirety. If I were to say "the acura had a nicer interior than the WRX but the WRX's interior was just as good" this would be a conflicting statement.

The RSX has a nicer interior but the WRX has superior mechanical components. Assuming build quality is measure of the over-all quality of the components and their assembly one could argue that both cars are of similar build quality.

30. Civic h/b

The RSX is a ver nice car, but, I'd definately opt for the WRX over it. The Subaru is much better suited to our climate.

31. John Doe

Well, overall WRXes have been known to eat transmissions, have shuddering clutches from the factory, wastegate flutter, and other numerous problems.

The only real problems the RSX has are FWD and no LSD.

32. stu mccrea

Obviously I am a huge Acura fan, considering I own two, but I must come to the defense of the wrx with regards to the above statement.

The early versions of the wrx have transmission related issues, and not so much the latest versions. Bear in mind that most of the transmission issues are related to cars pushing more power then what the car came equipped with.

One major problem with the rsx is its' insurance premium, which of course is driven by the higher then normal theft of interior parts and whole cars them self.

Besides, the only true issue with the rsx is that Honda decided to minimize costs and build it with a McPherson strut layout, rather then the previous integras that where double wishbone.

The bottom line is the rsx is a fabulous little car, as well as the wrx. The rsx will pretty much be the only small economy sport coupe on the market with Toyota dropping the celica. Its competition will be the dodge neon 2.0sx, and what else?

33. John Doe

Well, I have known several owners with the clutch shudder problem (in fact, everyone I know that has a WRX from 02 to 04) and I have also personally known two people who strippied thier transmissions that a) don't drag-race and b) had stock cars. So, think what you want... I'll go off of experience.

Quote from my insurance agent at 12:49pm today Central Standard time on the WRX: $390 for 6 months.
    Quote from my insurance agent at 12:52pm today Central Standard time on the RSX-S: $450 for 6 months.

While the RSX-S is higher, I do not consider $10/month a make-or-break on a $25K decision.

Also, and I'm not positive on this, but I think the WRX has a MacStrut front suspension as well. Come to think of it, BMW and Porsche both use MacStruts regularly. It's not a bad suspension layout at all. :)

34. stu mccrea

My transmission issues experience comes from three friends that own these cars, and well the dealer who sells them. I guess that doesn't qualify.

As for your insurance rates, question. Is rate normal plpd, or both plpd and collision....

Never said McPherson strut was bad, just Honda decided to take a tested and proven setup and ditch it in effort to increase profits. A double wishbone setup has a lot more adjustability then a strut layout, but am sure you already know this......

35. Cody

Clutch shudder does exist in the WRX, mostly because subaru chose an aggressive compound for their clutch disk material. I had my clutch replaced at 34,000 kms under warranty because of excessive shudder. The redesigned clutch they put in the car has been standard issue in the late model 03 and 04 editions of the WRX and this is no longer a problem. Since we are debating the merrits of the 2005 RSX your clutch shudder arguement is moot.

Transmission problems with the WRX can usually be attributed to driver abuse or driver error. Under cases of extreme torque load the sides of the 5MT transmission swell causing the gears to demesh and sheer off (a problem which has been resolved in the 6MT). This means repeatedly revving your WRX to 6000 rpms and dumping the clutch. Any car will break if you abuse it.

I've had my car tuned to produce 300HP and 290ft/lbs of torque for over 45,000 kms and my transmission still shifts like it's brand new and my car is far from a trailor queen. Rod Clifford's WRX has a TurboXS stage 4 upgrade (360ish HP and 340 ft/lbs torque), he regularly races it and generally drives it like it's stolen and he hasn't experienced a problem yet.

Again, this simply comes down to the fact that I think the price of the 2005 RSX is about $5000 too much. For $500 more I could get an 05 WRX or if I was concerned about the interior and wanted luxry and speed I could spend $3000 more and get an 05 Legacy 2.5GT.

The integra was a better bang for the buck car IMO.