New PC on the way

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Apr 29, 2019.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

New home PC on the way, first time in 10 years. iMac from 2009 did us well but about done.

Moving to Windows now - what is the best local backup solution? OSX has Time Machine built in. I'll be using the same online backup solution but like to have local as well.

I'll probably have more questions once it arrives. I use a Windows machine at work all the time but it has been 15-20 years since we've had one as the dedicated family computer.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Out of curiosity, why the move to Windows at this point?

I rely on my online backup so I don't do any local backups. I'll be interested as well to know what people are using.

3. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Apple doesn't currently have anything that meets my needs for a home computer. I'm looking for more of a beast than I have in the past that can handle everything from Adobe's Creative Cloud that I can throw at it (including my own software) that won't be obsolete in a few years. Outside of the laptop line, Apple hasn't released a Pro product that fit what I want in quite a while.

... I also get a crazy discount through work at Dell. So the price gap is even larger than it used to be for what I'm looking for.

Nick84 and Boots like this.
  4. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I use Cobian Backup for local backups, its pretty customizable