New Brunswick?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Moving east, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Moving east

Hello lovely people of reality-check... I've searched, but most posts are from 2012/13... is anyone on here located in Moncton? Looking at making the move with the hubs and lil ones, just wanting to hear more about life in Moncton.. what areas to avoid, what areas to look into (kid friendly is a plus as I have a 3/6/9 year old!)

TIA, Reality-check!

2. Grifter

Bluh?

I can't think of anyone that lives there. I know there's at least one of our members in Fredericton.

Moncton is nice, has everything you would need. Bilingualism is a plus there. Can't think of anything bad to say about the place. Magnetic hill is overated but is good for the summer concert scene.

Good luck!

3. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Where are you moving from?

4. Wayne

Yeah, there is a few people here in Fredericton. Much more my speed than Moncton, but certainly more to do entertainment wise there.

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

I go to Moncton for work all the time and I hate navigating it. I guess it’s probably not that bad when you know where you’re going.

6. Moving east

Husband has a condo in Toronto and I’m in a house in Ottawa. He commutes between the two... no longer has to and can work from home so we’re thinkkng of selling both and heading to Moncton

7. Moving east

Thanks for the replies/feedback so far!

8. LMAC

_

you'll hate it more than ottawa.

9. Crandall

I lived in Moncton for about 12 years, and go back often. If you're looking for more kid friendly areas with schools then you can look at someplace more in the north end (Evergreen), or around the Coliseum (Pinehurst). There's also a lot of new subdivisions near Magnetic Hill and off Ryan Street. Riverview is also nice depending on the area. I would generally avoid Dieppe due to their higher property tax, flat billing for water, and generally poor services.

10. ouird

I'm Weird

I don't live there, but I know a bit about the area when it comes to housing etc.

If you are buying, you may want to look outside of the Moncton/Dieppe/Riverview core. Property taxes there is crazy high for the property values.
    It's a nice area to live. You won't have as many options as Toronto would in relation to things like Malls, restaurants, entertainment etc, but they still have some good things to do, see.

Knowing both French and English would be an advantage, but it's less important there than it was years ago.
    I have some family members that also live there, I've reached out to them to see what they can offer. They have children around the ages of your lil ones.

11. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Why not head to Halifax? Seems like everyone is these days. Nova Scotia has been having a population boom as of late.

12. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

About 12-13 years ago, I was living and working in Ottawa and my wife and I decided to move to Nova Scotia - for us, it was a homecoming as we both grew up in Truro. We ended up moving to Halifax and it was a similar plan - I was in a situation where I could work remotely from home. It worked really well for quite a while - the company I'd been working for when I originally arrived eventually ran into financial trouble but I was able to eventually navigate things and find another remote job working from home that I really loved until it fell through - at that point, we'd been living in Halifax for about 8 years and I decided I'd had enough of working from home and wanted to find somewhere I could go into an office and interact with other humans more regularly. It was a tough search - I eventually found something, but I realized after a year or so that it wasn't going to be for me in the long run. Looking around Halifax, there were a couple of companies doing some work that really interested me, but the salaries were crap. As fate would have it, I got a call from the guy I originally worked for when I moved to Halifax who had a major opportunity for me, but I needed to move to Seattle, which is what I ended up doing.

The point of my tale:

- working from home long term may sound ideal, but is not for everyone. It might even work for some amount of time, but it isn't for everyone. I really enjoyed it as a manager, especially since that meant some regular travel, but when I went back to a pure software development role, it wasn't for me.
    - if working from home doesn't work out long term, you generally have 2 options: 1. Find work in Moncton. Expect (much) lower salaries and the variety of work to match that of a small town. 2. Move. For #2, let's say this is something that happens 7 years down the road. Your kids are currently at an ideal age to make a move - do you really want to do it when they're 10/13/16 - especially the 16-year-old who will be in high school? I guess #3 is to grin and bear it and continue working from home even though it has a negative impact on life.
    - My wife and I were from NS. We'd been away in Ottawa for about 10 years when we moved back. However, we were still kind of treated as CFA's (Come From Away's). It sounds silly, but it is a real thing in the Maritimes. If you're not from there, you will get some smiles, but you will be treated as an outsider. Because you have young kids, it's easier in some cases to overcome and make friends, but something to be aware of. I don't know how bad that is in New Brunswick compared to Nova Scotia, but it's a pain in the ass. I was born in NS and was still treated a bit like an outsider because my parents moved to NS from Montreal.

I'm not saying any of that to dissuade you from moving. You're talking to someone who has uprooted his life a few times now to make major moves. The move from Halifax to Seattle was a gigantic change. Each time, a year or more into the move, I realise we maybe didn't think enough about some of the realities. For this most recent move, my wife and I said we're on a 5-year plan. We talked about it with our kids, who were 10 & 12 when we made the move and we all got on board. Now that we're here, we did the math better and realise my son (the older one) will be 17 at the 5-year mark and well-entrenched in high school. If we decide to pull out and move back at that point, that's a much bigger change than we'd want to put him through. He also already loves it here and has started making some of those friends you realise will be lifelong friends - he's already eyeing the local University which has an amazing Engineering program.

All to say, make sure you're asking yourself all the right questions. I'm not sure how you settled on Moncton - that in itself is a major decision, but also think about 5-8 years out and what choices you would make if things don't turn out quite as expected.

13. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

We're moving the the Fredericton area this coming June. You right in the city, or outside somewhere? I've got in laws in Noonan and Lincoln.

14. Wayne

Love working from home...8+ years at it now. Would only go back to an office if forced. Depending on the quality of life you want, Fredericton is much quieter with most big city amenities. I prefer the small town feel though, downside for big concerts or hockey games I have to travel to Moncton or Saint John.

15. Wayne

I live in Hanwell, on Deerwood Drive. 10 minutes to downtown or uptown depending on which way I leave my driveway. Noonan is certainly quiet...lol

dpwu32 likes this.
  16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Another +1 for WFH. I'd slip into a serious depression if I ever had to do the office thing again.

17. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Ideally we'll end up somewhere in the Hanwell/Harvey area. Somewhere between Fredericton and one of the border crossings.

Will be joining the work from home crew at the same time. Can't friggin wait.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  18. KLD

KLD

I used to love working from home, but actually started becoming depressed from being home all day every day (I lived alone at the time, so that probably factored in to it). I felt better once I got back to an office job, although it would be nice to have a blend of both - especially if it's crappy weather.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Apparently I'm depression proof. I've been through a ton of shit and I'm pretty much happy all the time :rofl:

20. Wayne

Me and you both! Although I've not been through the shit you have, but pretty much always happy.

21. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

This is what I meant when I said it depends on the job for me. If I’m interacting with others regularly, it’s fine. If I’m working on something that requires minimal interaction, I can’t handle it.

22. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

You and BootsBoots are ruining my theory that everyone is depressed - it’s a defining factor of who we are as humans. I was actually thinking about it on my bike to work this morning. Pretty much everyone I know is depressed. I assume those that I don’t know about are but aren’t open about it.

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

There is definitely a huge amount of depression out there. Speaking of, this was a great podcast that talked a lot about the effects of our current bubble wrapped, social media infused, screen overdosed world. Great listen/watch for any parent (or anyone really)

Mitch and ouird like this.
  24. Wayne

Not to ruin your theory completely...

I can get down occasionally in my personal time, not very often but it happens (especially if I think about my parents health and the fact I hate getting older)...but 99% of the time I am happy, smiling, and cracking jokes with friends/family. Humor is the enemy of depression I find.

25. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

It's a slippery slope. As evidenced by folks like Robin Williams, humor only goes so far. :(

I am generally the same - happy most of the time and I joke a lot. I always find this time of year tough, but have been able to battle through with overdosing on Vitamin D. I think I'll need something more this year - lots of shit going on right now.

26. LMAC

_

yeah i don't think i have even been depressed in my life as well..

Mitch likes this.
  27. KLD

KLD

I honestly think it's because I'm an extrovert, and while I enjoy some alone time, that much of it was driving me nuts. I just felt stuck. Also...I eventually became unsatisfied with the job itself, so that probably factored in to it as well. I'm thankful that I've not had any depression/mental health issues related to chemical issues on the brain....just some down time due to circumstances. It would be rough to just feel awful all the time and not able to pinpoint why :(.

28. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

Your moving in June? Again? I’m moving to Calgary sometime in between March to may

29. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Yep. We're hitting the road as soon as the May long weekend hangover gets shaken off. What part of Calgary are you headed for? I know a house in the SW that's going to be available for rent at the end of May...haha

30. Duggan

Dana, what are you guys doing for moving your shit.

31. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Purging/selling a TON of stuff. Current plan is to rent a uHaul and tow a flat deck behind it with the truck on it.

32. Duggan

Got ya, that Uhaul pricing was as much as a POD so I don't think I will drive one. I might get a trailer if I trade the Jizeep for a truck.

Purging lots and might sell our primary as furnished.

33. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Yeah, the main reason we're going uHaul over POD is so that my inventory is available as soon as I get to NB. With a POD, I may have to wait longer and lose sales.

We used a POD the last time we'll moved east, and again when we moved to Edmonton with great luck.

34. Duggan

Text me what you paid and what size when you get a minute

35. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

We’re looking like 4th and 8th sw. riverfront.