1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need soundcard advice

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by dpwu32, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dpwu32

dpwu32
    [OP]
    Trash elf

Is anyone able to suggest a decent soundcard that could be used for home recording? I dont' know much about them, but it would need at least one 1/4" input, and it would be nice if it had an XLR (Microphone cable) input too, but I don't know if they make any with them.

It's gotta be able to capture decent sound without distorting or "muddying" the sound too much, and I'd like to stay within a few hundred bucks. It would be recording drums, guitar, bass, and vocals.

I don't know ho much the specs on my PC matter now, but it's a P4, 2.52Ghz, 512MB ram, 60GB hard drive, and the sound card that came in it.

Any suggestions of what might best fit my needs, and where to get it at the best price?

2. JoeLouie

I've got this here: http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua25.html

It'll record guitar, bass and vocals no problem, and as long as you've got a decent mic on your drums I suppose it would do good there too. I haven't recorded a whole lot with it yet, more or less just fooled around with it for now, but I have used it to record guitar, bass, vocals and keyboard (with midi), and when we get it all set up right it'll be used to record drums too.

There shouldn't be a problem running it on your computer. The only thing is, it was a bit expensive, I believe that it was ~$300 at Music Stop in Halifax.