Need some help - Net hosts in Halifax

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by visual_kool, Feb 27, 2009.

1. visual_kool

We are looking to setup a web site that has an application server and a db server. If the price was right we would have a third box that would be a web server. The clients that we are going to be dealing with want this type of security.

So, we could buy and place the boxes, or the host could provide the boxes. The building would have to have a fast, reliable net connection, and there would need to be high levels of electrical redundancy as well as firewalls, on-site support, etc.

Is there anything in Hali that fits the bill?

We have found a possible host in Toronto (where my boss is located), and they want $3000/mth for 2 low end box rentals.

2. jspurr

when my boss was looking at doing this he mentioned IT Landlord but i see they've changed their name / started a new company

http://www.airfire.ca/

I my self use websavers (websavers.ca) for hosting my websites

3. infatuous

Airfire sucks. I set a client's site up with them and they didn't know what suPHP was, nor could I get access to manage the database. Everything was done by email. A pathetic experience indeed.

For this type of hosting go with Rackspace. You'll pay through the nose, but you'll get great equipment, unbeatable reliability and support. Who cares if they're in Halifax?

4. visual_kool

Only reason for Halifax would be if we were supplying the boxes. I would be able to drive there. If the company is supplying the boxes, then anywhere in Canada would be ok

5. Cody

Colo hosts in the US are going to be several orders of magnitude cheaper than Canadian hosts so unless there is a specific legal reason to be on Canadian soil I would also look into that option.

Renting someone's already built machines is going to be the cheapest way to go. Getting boxes from a company like www.layeredtech.com or www.theplanet.com is cheap, you can get a pretty nice unmanaged server from one of these places for $120-200/month with 1000GB/month of bandwidth. The price savings offered by these types of hosting allow you to even have a few boxes in another location to setup for redundancy. These types of hosting will fit the bill for most companies out there provided they have the staff to configure/manage the server.

With colocation you pay for the space in someone's datacenter, usually between $35-150 per rack unit of space. Power is usually provided for free and you're allowed to put whatever hardware you want in your space provided it's rackmount. US and Canadian companies are similarly priced in this regard. It's the bandwidth costs that make canadian hosting so expensive. Often the price of a canadian data connection and the bandwidth on top can add up to be 3-4 times more than a similar service in the US.

The next option is managed hosting, where you pay a company to provide and maintain your servers. This is ideal for a company with limited IT staff but it's also the most expensive.

Let me know if you have any questions, I've been managing colocated servers for the last 11 years for various companies in both the US and Canada.