1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by wreak, Jan 19, 2005.

1. wreak

wreak
    [OP]

I had to erase my computer completely and reinstall windows 98 rather then windows me, windows me had screwed the system up. Well I have 98 back on but for some reason I'm stuck to only choose either 2 colors or 16 colors on my monitor, so all pics and backgrounds look like shit. I can't even change the resolution like I could before. Any ideas how to get the monitor colors back?

2. Fr3nChY

You Guessed it.

You prob don't have your video card drivers installed

3. wreak

wreak
    [OP]

Damn your right, thats exactly what I forgot to do. thx

4. wreak

wreak
    [OP]

Looks like I'm stuck with 16 colors. Windows dosn't recognize any video cards on my system even though I know it has one :(

5. Hoyt

if its oem then you can get drivers from their website
    www.dell.com
    www.hp.com
    etc
    but if its custom build and you dont know what it is, no way windows is going to know either :confused:
    onboard you can get from the motherboard website as well

6. wreak

wreak
    [OP]

It's a rage 128pro ultra32m sdr
    I have the install cd but whenever I try to install it, I get an error saying
    I'm lost

7. GiPWeb

Me is I

have you tried running windows update. Theres a good chance the driver for the vidcard will come up when it looks at yur puter it might also be in directx 9 when you install that through windows update. Always run windows update neway. Its real important to running a secure stable installation.

IF that doesnt work try THIS. Its older but its the one ATI is recommending installing.

One other thing you might need is the motherboard drivers again windows update might offer them so try that first if not. Open yur case and find the motherboard make and model and google it for drivers. If ya cant find it post it here and I'll search for ya. The reason you might need them is sometimes the agp driver if not installed (which is usually part of the mobo driver set) will keep windows from detecting yur card proberly.

And finally for anyone reading this thread that hasnt run windows update yet this month. There are new security fixes so r Its the single most important thing you can do to run a stable system. Windows Update is that important. New patches are released the first tuesday of everymonth

G.i.P