Need a website..

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by tribeachpunk, Apr 12, 2019.

1. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

I've been tasked with getting the small business I work for a decent website.. We've been limping along with a grievously bare bones web (site) presence for as long as we've had web presence.. We do fine selling 99% of our products brick and mortar, but we'd do so much better with a decent site/cart. I know there are a ton of DIY spots online for this but I've got enough on my plate, I don't want anything to do with DIY.. So in addition to the website needing an overhaul, I want to work with someone to get it done. I don't think what I have in mind is going to be complicated, but it'll need to allow us to add products/descriptions moving forward, and we'll need a cart to sell those products out of.

Who's good? What tree should I be barking up? TYIA

2. clicker666

Older lifter

While I don't have any specific recommendations for packages I'd personally go with a product that is already designed. For example - and not endorsing as we don't sell things, Wordpress. Historically I've had people design custom sites, which is great until you need to make changes that only the developer can handle, and the developer is in the wind. With something like Wordpress you can still get a company/person to help build it into a nice product and ensure its well-secured (SSL and all that), but have the freedom to be able to do a lot yourself and if your web guy disappears, most developers can work with it.

With Wordpress specifically you need to make time for updates and backup your site often. Fortunately our ISP will back up our site for us if we are doing a major update just case it breaks everything.

tribeachpunk likes this.
  3. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

That is along the lines I'm thinking... I'm not extraordinarily familiar with Wordpress, I'll take a look when I get time.

Further complicating things, I think, at least for me with limited knowledge, we have domains now through Google's G Suite, relying on Google's Blogger platform for the website itself. I think those domains need to move away from Google to the new home, perhaps where the new site is hosted....

4. Wayne

Find somebody who has produced high quality sites using WordPress as the backbone. Customizing a premium theme allows you to make it unique with the least amount of work. Done right it'll be professional, easy to maintain and grow, and work in all browsers/devices. I used to do it on the side, but don't have time anymore.

5. Wayne

Check out www.themeforest.net in the WordPress category. You can demo all the sites, look at their extensive customization capabilities.

6. clicker666

Older lifter

I still have my weightlifting blog on Google's blogger, using Cloudflare and my own personal domain. The only thing that changed for me was that Google+ things wouldn't work anymore since Google+ is gone. I still sign in as normal though.

7. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

That sounds like the person I'll need to find... Now finding them is the dilemma..

It seems impossible or difficult for me to put anything but our blogger page on our domain through G Suite... We've outgrown the blogger platform, gotta get a cart system running.. doesn't appear like G Suite is gonna make any of that easy on me.

8. Wayne

I wish I had the time, and/or wasn't dealing with a pinched nerve causing me pain through my whole arm...I could have probably helped you out pretty reasonably. I don't know anybody off the top of my head that does it now outside of actual design shops, which get very pricey due to their overhead. I'll ask around some contacts this weekend though, see who in my network might be able to do a good job for a great price.

9. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Thanks!

And while I don't want to break the bank or over pay on this, I was very clear that this was going to cost us, so I should have no trouble getting the money if/when such a person turns up

10. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

Easily best answer is use Squarespace

It’s stupid easy.

clicker666 likes this.
  11. clicker666

Older lifter

It looks pretty decent. Supports ecommerce easily, TLS, and the only thing that kind of concerned me was the inability to smoothly export your site to something like Wordpress. (In case they went out of business of for some reason lost the ability to host). That's really the only thing I saw that I didn't like. Looks pretty snazzy.

12. Wayne

If Ecommerce is a big thing, Shopify is also an option. Not going out of business anytime soon lol.

I tried reaching out but nobody I know is in the web design business standalone per say anymore. They all work in IT shops doing bigger stuff.