N.S. Judges

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Ron Mexico, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico
    [OP]

I'm 100% sure in the U.S.A. dealing cocaine puts you in a Federal jail for years.
    Well here in N.S. it gets you probation.
    http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9010645.html

and they wonder why our drug problem is so bad here.

Making 1000's off selling drugs to risk probation is well worth the risk !

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Sentencing by a Chief Judge no less. Sends a great message to the other judges :rolleyes:

3. Pinkette

We have a different legal system from the US unfortunately. Get used to it since punishment here is generally based upon previous cases, it takes a very long time for things to get changed.

4. hank

She was a "low key" player in a "major" bust. Good possiblility she wasn't making 1000's from selling and simply selling the odd gram to support a habit or she snitched to get a lighter sentence :shrug2:

A friend of mine got busted a few years back selling blow... no previous record and he is not home yet.

5. ouird

I'm Weird

she could have made a deal and rolled over on other people as well.

6. hank

:high5:

7. hammer

Richard Simmons

Enforcement is a waste of time anyway, The people who want it are getting it , and there will be more people to replace those busted in the blink of an eye.

Legalize it, TAX it. Put the corner dealers out of work

8. ouird

I'm Weird

i read the op and posted. didnt read yours..sorry.

9. Omerta

Legalize cocaine? :rofl:

10. ouird

I'm Weird

Please...Dont Snort and drive!!

11. hammer

Richard Simmons

Why not? If the law enforcement of it was making a difference, I'd feel otherwise. Collect taxes on it, then the cokeheads would at least be helping to pay for their rehab. The fact that its illegal and bad for you isn't keeping anyone from getting it if they want it. I don't feel its any different than booze or smokes which are legal. Yes its a more powerful /addictive drug but that's not stopping people from wanting it and getting it.

12. Omerta

Ah.... legalizing the drug is pretty much approving it as acceptable in society to be a user of... I donno about you but I think there are enough cokeheads in Canada.

13. hammer

Richard Simmons

True, and I realize its not a black and white issue, but it's pretty acceptable as it is. Its just still underground acceptable I guess.
    I've never done anything harder than hash or weed for a few reasons ; I'm aware of the health effects/addiction, who the hell knows whats its been made with. Even when I was around people doing coke, I passed on it. I suppose I shouldn't assume that more people have enough common sense to decide for themselves.

I still feel the "war on drugs" is a futile effort and the money and resources spent on it could be used elsewhere to better use.

14. Omerta

The war on drugs is not effective I will agree. But the solution isn't to turtle up and let everything go.

One very difficult solution is to change societies view so that users get no support from others, it needs to be strongly rejected by society as a whole to be effective so people police themselves and choose not to drive down the road of fail.

People just don't understand that is ruined lives of people stronger than themselves. So why present yourself the opportunity?

I donno, I know there will never be a world without drugs and people finding an escape through them. Its very complicated to take a 'declaration of war' approch on. It needs lots of long term planning, control and funding.

15. hammer

Richard Simmons

So by saying no support from others, would you include, rehab, or clean injection sites and such programs? I can see a need for both.. but I don't like it. I'm all for helping someone overcome a problem - 1 time.
    Just discussing, I'm not setting up for a big comeback to a yes or no answer

16. Codith

The don't care about drug offenders guys, because our jails are getting so over populated, and new jails aren't popping up every day like in the USA, they consider drug offenses as minor shit, regardless of how much is imported, sold, bought,ect. For example, my dad was involved in something a few years ago, big shit, at the time the biggest operation in Canadian history, the main person involved in NS got I think 3 years in jail, pretty sure he only served one, and is now off of probation, my dad was supposed to serve 3-5 years, spent 2 months in jail, and now is on full probation. There are tons of cases of similar shit, and unless dealers are selling directly to children, they basically get a slap on the wrist.

17. Zombietech

Gay. We need to start doling out some serious punishment. if we cant afford to jail people then we need to start coming up with cheaper more lethal solutions. Selling coke = volunteering for the army rifle core, kill two birds with one stone.