My first test drive...

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by raven, Mar 5, 2004.

1. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Well we got it out for a drive today.... all I can say is HOLY F**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This car is retarded :) :) :)

hmmm....where to begin.

We took it out to a back road to have some fun with it. On the way out we kept it under 2600rpm and it drives really smooth at that speed. We turned the corner and gave it a little punch to 1/2 throtle and it lit up both tires up instantly. :) From a standing start there is very bad wheel hop, (no shit we were expectling that :P) some new bushings and some practice should take care of that. When you punch it from a 30km/hr roll it instantly smokes, no shreads both tires! Instant smoke, there is no bogging of any kind. The power is there as soon as you hit it. The clutch grabs instantly and very hard. It is incredibly fast to rev to redline, you just hit it and it is time to shift. On the second run at the end of second gear we blew the accessory belt :( Let me tell and show you what happened....

We shut the car down and got out to take a look. Because of the crazy amounts of torque the upper rad support where the top two dog bone mounts are attached to was bent on both sides. Now this rad support has already been strengthened from behind with angle bar welded and bolted to the mounts and extended to the frame of the car, guess that is not going to be good enough. We limped it back to the shop, but with very very big grins on our faces :). Upon further inspection we saw that the motor actually rocked back about an inch from the torque. The accessory belt came in contact with the frame in the rear and blew apart. The tranny hit the lower subframe, the air conditioning delete pulley hit the under side of the lower rad hose and we bent the throtle cable bracket when it hit the front of the master brake cyclinder. The torque and power this engine creates is unbelivable. Words really can't describe.

Here are some pics of what happened...

Here is a pics of the right side upper rad support...
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the left side upper rad support
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of where the tranny came down and hit the lower sub-frame...
    [​IMG]

We are now going to make another engine mount for the back side of the motor so that it doesn't squat down. We're going to make up some braces for the upper rad support from the back side of the rebar to strengthen that up. Anti-torque bars are going to be installed from the lower control arms to the frame underneath. We are also having some programming issues with the PCM. It is still throwing an automatic code that was suppose to be removed when it was custom tuned and it is showing the timing is set back 31 degrees so there is more power yet to come when we get that sorted out. I am just waiting on an email from DHP to see what we are going to do about the PCM, might have to send it back to them to be reprogrammed again.

All this and I haven't even hit the nitrous yet. :) I am going to be running the biggest slicks I can get under her at the track. I can't wait to see what that feels like :) :) :)

I can honestly say that I have never felt this kind of power before. I use to run a 100 shot of nitrous on my old 2.4 and that was not even close to this. I can't wait for the summer to come now, when we get all the bugs worked out of it this is going to one hell of a fun car to drive :)

I wasen't able to get any good video of it. We thought we would get more runs out of it. But don't worry as soon as we have everything sorted out and strengthened up I will get lots.

2. Eisenflower

Sounds like you're going to have one fun summer. :eek:

3. JP®

Right on..
    Theres going to be some fast rides this summer man.

4. Wolfe

p/t Firefighter - 24/7

just wicket man.

5. LMAC

_

wow cant wait to see these vids when you get them

6. midden

I LIKE TO EAT MITTENS

holy fuck dude...i heard all this happened! just a couple of bugs to worry about i guess man.

7. droopy

james man, i havent talked to you in ages!
    PM me the details on what youve got done to the car now, cuz i havent heard fuck all about it....

8. preludacris

Lexus IS300

What engine is in this car?

9. Shafft

RC-OG

built supercharged 3800.

nice work raven!

but your "rad support" doesn't even look attache to the angle bar..

10. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Thanks

That is the top of the rad support that is bent, it is an L shape and the angle bar is welded and bolted to the lower part of it. The top part bent and the lower part was pulled back.

11. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

We got the new tranny mount done up and installed on the car. It is very solid and should keep the tranny from rocking back.

Here is a pic of the new mount...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also noticed that the lower engine mount was bent as well. We are going to have to strengthen that up as well..

Here is a pic of the lower engine mount...

[​IMG]

I will keep everyone updated on whats happening...

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Aren't you worried that all that power in that body is going to be a constant hassle of needing to reinforce things?

13. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Not really. This was the first test drive and we knew there were going to be week spots. When we're done reinforcing things it should work pretty good.

14. JP®

Hlow much power is that thing putting to the ground?

15. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Don't know yet, haven't had it on the dyno. We thinking it is putting around 300hp and 350tq to the wheels right now. I still have the 150 shot of nitrous for track use :)

16. Shafft

RC-OG

he orriginally said "hopefully 350-400 to the wheels" i think.

17. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Thats what I was hopeing for on the nitrous. I really can't say what it has now but it feels like a lot that's for sure. Our best guess is somewhere around 300 to the wheels as it sits now. We could be way off who knows, and I have no idea what the nitrous will do. I will be taking it to the dyno very soon and I'm just as curious to see what it actaully is putting down. I will post up the dyno results when I get them.

18. Shafft

RC-OG

you should post or PM me when that is going on ... I would love to spectate that.

19. DJQ

DJQ

:werd:

20. Eisenflower

X 2!! :o

21. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Sure, I would love too...

My engine is 240hp and 280tq stock at the crank
    I have a 3.4" underdrive pully on the supercahrger - 25-30hp
    Custom tuned DHP PCM - 25-30hp
    full exhaust 5-10hp
    CAI- 5hp
    Nitrous Wet system - 150hp (we'll say at the crank for arguments sake.)

So right there we are looking at 450-465hp at the crank. BTW, these numbers all come from many replys on the clubgp.com board and dyno graphs on the products.

I have seen a dyno chart with people running the same mods with the addition of rockers and headers but on a 90 shot of nitrous pull over 400hp to the wheels through an automatic tranny. I have also seen similar dyno charts supporting that kind of power. Now I know that he has rockers and headers but I also have a 150 shot of nitrous so that should more than make up for what I am looseing without those mods. I also have a 5-speed tranny and a 9.5lbs aluminum flywheel instead of a stock 4-speed automatic tranny so I should be able to get a lot more of that power to the ground.

We'll just have to see what the dyno says, that will tell all.

22. JP®

:werd: x 3.....

Im going to run mine soon, after I get my engine back together, and my new fuel management tuned in..

23. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

When I know exactly when we are going to the dyno I will post it up. We can all cruise down together. Does anyone want to put there car on the dyno that day? Maybe we can get some kind of a deal if a few of us are there together. I was thinking of renting it for a few hours to tune the car so if anyone is interested we could split the cost or something.

24. JP®

Im in for sure...

Anyone want to make a wager? Not for high horsepower, but for the person whos the closest to their estimated WHP? Id be all about that.

** EDIT **

Id be ready at the end of the month.

25. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Yeah that sounds like fun..a little side bet.

I should be ready by the end of the month, I just want to get some clicks on the new clutch before running it on the dyno.

26. DJQ

DJQ

Dunno how much tuning you intend to do, but JUST tuning my car and Shafts last year took about 9-10 hours.. I was there for 6 hours myself

27. JP®

My thoughts exactly..
    Im going to get 1000 kms on mine before I put any boost at all into it.

28. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

The only tuning that I have to do is some minor fuel tuning. It shouldn't be too bad.

29. droopy

:imwithst:

yeah, james, gimmie a shout when you get that shit all together, id love to see what it will do......

30. jdmh22accord

i wanna put mine on too, maybe we can make a day out of it, set up something and all of us rent it for the day