My Favourite Car

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by LeMar, Dec 9, 2003.

1. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

I've been admiring this car for years... it's by far the sexiest thing I've ever seen. I love it... And when I have $300000 extra bucks I'll buy one :lol:

617 Hp
    0-60 in under 3.8 seconds
    Exterior:
    -Sidepipe exhaust
    -bi-xenon headlamps
    -carbon-fiber composite body panels
    -hand-painted
    -airbrake can be manually extended by driver
    -airbrake on rear operates automatically at 59 mph
    -Carbon-fiber body
    -doors swing up to open
    -LED taillamps

Wheels / Tires:
    -Tire pressure monitoring system

Interior:
    -power-adjustable steering wheel
    -carbon fiber framed seats with interchangeable seat cushion modules
    -seats can be custom fit to the driver with seat modules
    -power operated seats
    -illuminated thumb switch on the shifter knob starts the car

Engine:
    -supercharger compressor is located between the engine banks
    -two charge-air coolers, one per engine bank
    -dry-sump
    -supercharged V8

Brakes:
    -Start-Off Assist holds the car on steep grades to assist in creeping forward or rolling backward
    -Soft-Stop braking mode brings car to slow stop by default.
    -Sensotronic Brake Control or SBC (TM) system controls the application of braking forces
    -carbon fibre-reinforced ceramic disc brakes
    -Tailback Assist mode brings the car to a stop when the driver removes his foot from the accelerator (for stop/go traffic)

Chassis:
    -Aluminium chassis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

Best push button ignition evAr! :o

3. Wolfe

p/t Firefighter - 24/7

nice... i like the starter lol

4. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

This car is amazing... I can only imagine how it pulls. I've been in a V12 S class that has 720 lbs of torque and 670 hp (it weighs about 5300 lbs) and the car is just unbeleiveable

This has a carbon fibre body, I can only imagine how it pulls

5. Lex Lucas

feels good.

It could use some new rims.

6. Eisenflower

Beautiful car but how could you have been admiring this car for years?? It's only been unveilled officially this past winter and is going to be available mid 2005..?? :crazy:

7. AcidGord

Give it a few weeks. I'm sure APC and Ractive are already working on knockoffs. :)

8. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

Actually it's been a concept car for years... the pic of the car with the beige interrior is a pci from 3 (?) years ago. They made a concept design for it... and Mercedes makes a Vision SLR once every 30 years.. thnis one has been in the works for a while...

9. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

Oh, note the car with the beige has different rims, and the gills (if thats what i can call them) are different as well.

And actually Steve this is being released in Summer 04... it's an 05 car

10. Eisenflower

:crazy: Shakes head, I was thinking this coming year was 2005. :lol:

11. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

The only thing you guys wouldnt like about the car is that you can't do a burn out in it. The computer has all 4 wheels on seperate breaking and traction systems. As soon as a wheel begins to spin power to that wheel is reduced...

12. asmd

Like doing a burnout reeeeeally proves anything? Impressive numbers for outputs on the thing, but that is freeeeaking heaving!!! Thats two and a half tonnes, and with a carbon fibre body?! how much sausage they pack into that thing? I don't care for the looks of it too much, looks like it has a beak, but to each his own. . . . it could use some serious ass rapage on the street though, figured 0-60 would be lower with those figures.

I like the side of the fenders better on the pics with the beige interior then the newer pics, the side gilles are alright, but not the big waffle patterned ones.

13. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

Steve you're just jealous that it's not a Honda... :lol:until you drive one yourself and know how a Medrcedes Motor works you have no idea how much damage that puppy can do....

14. asmd

I know how well a Mercedes motor works, I drove a crossfire just last week! :finger: :lol: I haven't driven anything OVERLY impressive, a Kompressor once when they first came out and a couple 500's or 600s? the big land yacht ones.

I'm not jealous at all, Leanne, you should know that I am open to all kinds of cars, but, I just don't care for the styling of the newer Mercedes. . . just my preference. Its a nice car, and it probably puts down some impressive numbers, and works awesome, but if I wanted a car that looked like an 18th centurty sailing ship and went like snot, it would be this car, or a MacLaren, or a GT40, or something like that.

It seems too that BMW and Mercedes have become really big lately with hiding their motors, and I'm not too keen on that, sure it makes it look nice and clean and all the rest, but, you can't see nothing. If I wanted to open the hood (errr. . . trunk) and see a huge hunk of plastic covering a motor, I'd pop the hood on that Kia sport ute (thats funny in itself! :lol:) that was out at Kia when you worked there, and look at that.

15. Civic h/b

16. Redshift

Meh... I'm ok with the looks of it.
    It is a fairly impressive car, but more then a few journalists (at least the UK ones who aren't totally under the thumb of the car companies unlike the US ones) have pointed out that while it is over twice the price of an SL600 or SL55 AMG, it only puts out about 100hp more, isn't really all that much faster, weighs about the same, and well.. isn't a convertible like the SLs.
    It will be a great car for the right person, but honestly, for the same money you could by an SL55 AMG to get the Mercedes in the garage, and (If you have to stay german) a Porsche 911 Turbo to get the same performance (with better handling and looks) and have enough cash left over to build the garage to keep them in.

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

you should like these pics then. I shrunk them down about 70% from their original size (press photos = :eek:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. stu mccrea

Here here. Give me a 996 Gt-2 or a twin turbo with x-51 package any day. We had a 2003 twin turbo at our bmw porsche school in june and well it was just plain sick, you could actually see the car speed up when the boost kicked in, as well as hitting some sick speeds down the back straight at amp approx 210-215ish kph.

Yup the merc is nice, but again auto, and not nearly worth the extra coin according to most. Nice car, but again not for everyone.

19. bluenosersx

pure beauty

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

SLK 55

Another nice one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Xtreme989

thats a damn fine car.....

22. Redshift

Exactely. Although, from what I've read, Mercedes aren't too worried though and they know what the target market for this car is. From what I hear, more then a few of them have been sold to Maybach buyers as an add-on sale... "So, now that we've picked out your Maybach, have you ordered an SLR yet?"
    It's an uber-car for the stupidly rich who want to look fast. It will get owned by any number of true Sportscars... and hell, even some Mercedes (send an SL600 over to Brabus and drop another $40K or so and watch out SLR...)
    All that being said though, the start button under the flip-up on the gear shift is awesome!

23. E Dubbin

man im with boobs i would kill for that car wow

who really needs to go from 0-60 quicker than 3.8 seconds and you still have all that mercedes luxury

sign me up for one
    ill arrange the following payments
    one (1) kidney
    one(1) lung
    two(2) testicles
    and anything else you can take off me that i dont need to live :) :)

24. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

Ok, just got some new, updated specs:

0-100 in 3.7 sec
    0-200 in 10.6

And the pics that Boots posted are old, the car with the circlar style rims is the original design of the concept car...

25. bluenosersx

how much is it?

26. asmd

I might be mistaken, but. . . I'm guessing its 300,000? :rolleyes:

27. bluenosersx

thanks i missed that one.

28. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

The base model starts at $300 000 US

And considering what it is, it's worth it, IMO

I've been in the high end Benz's that are more than that price, and they're amazing, so many functions you don't know what to do :lol:

29. asmd

Like you said, Boobs, its all about what you are into. . . I might not have the money to buy one of these, or a new car fort that matter, but if I was to wind up buying myself a brand new vehicle, it would have to be something that I would be 100% interested in, and that would be if it fit my needs and wants. I'm not big on functions.

Give me somethnig that weighs nothing, will pass MVI, and goes like stink! No options at all for me.

Still an alright car. The new AMG for me, the one with the big gargoyle or monster under the hood please! :D

30. Redshift

Benz's that are more then that price? Other then the CLK-GTR, or possibly the Maybach (a Mercedes by any other name) the SLR is the most expensive car they've built.. by a LOT. Hell, they don't even build it, McLaren does.
    I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm just trying to find out what Benz's you've been in. Somebody you know with an S600 that spent a few years having Brabus work on it or something?

31. Redshift

Sure there are, it's called a Caterham Super 7... or, if you must have it look a little more up-to-date, the Lotus Elise is coming to North America in 2004. That's my frickin' realistic dream car right there.
    It will share an engine with the Toyota Celice GT-S as well, so not only will it be very reliable, but you'll actually be able to get it serviced.

32. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

One of my brother's clients (he also owns a turbo Carerra (i think thats what it is, it's the one with the quad exhaust system) anyway, he owns a $340 000 S class. Lends it to my brother all the time... Same modle car as what Princess Diana was killed in... the car is completely bulletproof, and even has voice activated stuff... it's insane... it's also a v12, and has eaten many porche's on the highway

33. Redshift

Ahh.. that somewhat explains it, but it doesn't really count. :)
    An S600 is $183K Canadian. The SLR is somewhere over $300US?
    The fact that he spent $160K customizing his car with armour and such (and turning it into even more of an overweight land-barge) doesn't actually make it a higher-end Mercedes then an SLR. The actual car is $180... can't count all the customization as "Mercedes" really.

But, full armoured S600 is a bad-ass car.. it's the vehicle of choice for drug dealers, criminals, government officals and Dictators world-wide. (I'm actually serious about that)
    I'd love to check it out some time.

*Edit: BTW, any idea who did the engine work on his car? You mention it had 670hp and 72ft/lbs of torque, which are up substantially from stock. Just wondering who built it? Brabus, RennTech etc?

34. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

I dont know the full story, and I don't know that he customised it... all i know is he paid $340000 for it, and i've been in it, it's pimp. I'll see if I can find pics... It's so big I was able to completely lay down in the back seat without touching either door... the thing is an amazing car, an whether it's heavy or not, it pulls like you wouldnt beleive...

Fred is very picky with his cars... he waited a year and a half for his porsche to clear customs... I just know the Benz is crazy, and I don't enough about cars to truely justify it.

35. LeMar

LeMar
    [OP]
    UGLY BUTCH

On a side note, the SLR is a car made once every 30 years, so naturally it's going to be expensive, it's a collectors item