MotherBoard Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Lowvez, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

Hello,

Does anyone have the ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard? If so, may i be able to use it to hot swap my BIOS chip into it to reprogram my BIOS? Because my BIOS got screwed when i overclocked it to much...I don't want to pay a company to fix it for me because i'd rather just do it this way.

If no one has this motherboard, a bboard *without* the convnetional EEPROM BIOS Chip would be great...mine is just a flash ROM but it's not stored on a EEPROM it's stored on some other chip. So if anyone can help me out can you let me know? Thanks!

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I wouldn't suggest "hot swapping" any bios chips :lol:

3. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

I'll take your suggestion into consideration...but...i've been doing it for some time now...it's just that the 2 motherboards i have now don't have the same type of BIOS chip...what is so bad about hot swapping the BIOS? once the computer has started to boot the BIOS chip just sits there...it is no longer needed until you power off / reset or shut down...this is actually a very common procedure.

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

hot swapping is swapping something out while it has power still going through it... I wouldn't pull any chips off my motherboard without killing the power first :D

5. Dural

Insert something witty

I would hope that someone who's been doing it for some time now would know the terminology.

6. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

yes...that is correct...the motherboard still has power going through it but the BIOS Chip is not essential to the operation of the computer after it has already booted.

Obviously there are some risks involved in doing this...as with anything electronic...but, like i said...this is a very common procedure.

7. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

and yes Dural thank you! :)

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I don't understand how your BIOS could get corrupted from overclocking?? Clearing the CMOS battery jumped should undo any overclock settings.

9. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

yes...i tried that...but nothing is working...i think i pumped up the front side bus a bit too much...it is NOT uncommon for the BIOS to get corrupted if the FSB and/or CPU is bumped up to much...and since i had the FSB running at 220MHz (440DDR) that probably did it...because everything worked fine until i tried to pump it up that much...it was stable at 215MHZ (430DDR) but i guess that 5MHz pushed it over..

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

My motherboard has a neat feature called a DieHARD bios. It has two bios chips on board. If one gets fried, you switch a jumper and it boots off the 2nd chip :D

11. Eisenflower

Well... LA-TI-DA!! :lol:

12. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

You have to switch a jumper for this? geesh! New mobo's these days with dual BIOS'es automaticly detect when the primary fails, use the secondary to start up and then ask if you wish to repair the first at this time...

13. Shafft

RC-OG

switch the reset jumper.. turn the power on.. flip it back.. and presto.. restored factory settings..

all motherboards will not respond if you overclock them too much.

14. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

people, people...you aren't listening to me!! I have done the CMOS reset...tried power on off etc...tried taking out and replacing CMOS battery...taking out ram to see if a BIOS error code occurs and it doesn't!...IT IS NOT RESPONDING!!!! THE BIOS HAS BEEN CORRUPTED!!!

quote from www.badflash.com:

15. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

Can anybody actually help me and tell me with they have a 32-Pin PLCC type BIOS chip and would allow me to do this procedure?

16. Dural

Insert something witty

Fuck off buddy. This is a public forum, not everyone will reply back with the information you need. Obviously by now one of two things is happening. 1) No one has the motherboard your looking for or 2) Wont let you use theirs to do what you need to do.

So go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

17. Foster

Toolboard

wow :o

GIV'R!!

18. Dural

Insert something witty

Yeah it was early morning when I posted that. Might be a little overboard but I get pissed when someone asks if anyone here can help and then gets pissed if they don't get the answer they are looking for. They should be happy we are willing to try, if we don't have the answer then it's bound to be somewhere else.

19. Foster

Toolboard

Werd

20. Burnsie

.:\'.'/:.

As apposed to your MOBO that has only 1 bios, geesh!

Diehard is the way to go eh boots :)

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That's great, but I prefer my backup BIOS to be physically seperated. Who's to say a nasty virus couldn't kill both of your BIOS' ?

22. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

first of all, this wasn't a technical support thread. The only help i needed was if someone had a certain motherboard...or any motherboard that takes a 32-Pin PLCC BIOS chip that i could use to flash my chip...no where did i ask for any help on what went wrong with my comp or how to fix it...i already know what is wrong with it...just remember that i told you what was wrong and what i needed to fix it...the only replies i got weren't relevant to my actual problem.

May i suggest Decaf?

And to Boots -> Yes i suppose you're right with the virus. But i was only kidding around about the jumper.

23. Lowvez

Lowvez
    [OP]

:(