more court

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by slouse, Oct 17, 2003.

1. slouse

slouse
    [OP]

Had a trial last night for speeding. Lost miserably.

This was my first time in an actual trial setting. There were about 20 cases to be heard. About 7 people got off because the crown was offering no evidence. About three of them, the accused didn't even show up and still got off because the officer wasn't there. About 8 people didn't show up and were convicted in absence. two people came in to change their pleas to guilty and accept the fine. there were three cases heard.

the first chick got caught doing 103 on the bridge, those bridge police have quite the operation. laser detection, all kinds of radio work and a specialized catch team. her defence was that for a device to measure speed in canada, it has to be approved by the canadian weights and measures act. she lost.

the second guy took about half an hour, had a huge defence, pictures of the area, probably 50 questions, but he lost too

i didn't really have a defence in this one, but tried to come up with one, it was lame, the judge told me i was fishing. i lost too.

he asked me if i needed time to pay, so i said yes. he asked how long...i said 5 years :D he gave me six months

2. Jake

Shitty deal man, atleast you tried....and from what i remember you've gotten off quite a bit in the past....cant win em all.

3. crown

Howzit

how did the judge's face look when you told him you needed 5 years? something like this :wtf:

4. Eisenflower

I had to go to court this morning at 8:30 to plead on behalf of my infraction. I pleaded not guilty obviously and they started rhyming off trial dates for the first of march. I managed to push it off till late July of 2004 :)

5. slouse

slouse
    [OP]

You can show up on this day and request another adjournment, tell them you need more time to collect evidence.

6. Eisenflower

Don't worry, I will be doing that. I'm dragging this fucker on forever! :evil2:

7. slouse

slouse
    [OP]

Our rights are something that's taken very seriously in court, and your right to a fair trial is one of them. You must be allowed to collect evidence. This can be very easily abused :D

8. preludacris

Lexus IS300

Everytime (over 10 times) I have been in court for traffic violations I had a fun time!! so funny!

9. bluenosersx

i couldn't be bothered to do it, i'd just pay it,

but i guess your record as of the last month in court isn't bad 3 for 4? good hitting percentage :)

10. Lex Lucas

feels good.

i got a fuckin 75 dollar parking tickect for parking in a handicapped zone last week... and i didnt do it on purpose!!! i just didnt notice the sign.... it had a no parking from 6-8pm or something like that and then had the handicapped sign below that... this was at like 2pm so once i saw the first sign i was like sweet.... but when i came back and had the ticket i was like wtf???

does anyone know how i can get out of this one???

11. 91bluecivic

yea i'm postponing mine, the 22nd of oct, so can i go in lets say the 20th and say i'm going outta of town, because one of my realitives died and i need another court date, will that work? Say i have to go out the next day, and woont be able to show up for court..i wanna push this shit ahead.

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Was there a sign or just painted on the ground? If it's just painted on the ground, it's not a valid handicapped spot (or so I've been told)

13. Eisenflower

91bluecivic, you don't need to tell them why you need to leave town.. you don't owe them that info. Just simply tell them you cannot be in town during that period and won't be back until a certain date. No questions will be asked.

14. 91bluecivic

mint, thanks....can i call them i'll do that up now...? can make it down there...getting a tranny put in my car...

15. Eisenflower

Sure, call the courthouse and tell them you will be out of town for a few months, and ask to re-schedual. March will be the soonest trial they will offer you.

16. 91bluecivic

any one have the number...see if i can find it..

17. Eisenflower

Dartmouth or Halifax (spring garden rd.) courthouse??

18. 91bluecivic

called the dartmouth one...they told me i had to call the crown prossacutor (sp), fuckers...

19. Lex Lucas

feels good.

no it was actually a sign with the small blue handicap sticker thing on it... doesnt really stand out, otherwise i wouldnt park there.... fuck im pissed, i wouldnt mind if it was 15 bucks but fawk 75 bucks is a lot for a parking ticket

20. Eisenflower

Bottom line, you're fuckered! If there is a sign there, it's your responsibility to pay attention to it.

21. Lex Lucas

feels good.

hmmm... maybe i should go tonight and steal the sign and then take a pic with my car there tomorrow with no sign :D thats crazy enough it might work!!! j/k fawk this sucks... i NEED the money :(

22. Eisenflower

Just remember, it doesn't hurt to plead your case (you have nothing to lose) however you most likely won't get off.

23. Banned/Deleted User

In my case I have no defense evidence other then a witness.. But to my knowledge the cop has no eveidence except his word cause there was no radar involved.. Hopefully it takes more then his word to find me guilty

24. Eisenflower

Basically finee, unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his word is faulse, his word/case will win. You have to have some sort of proof to prove this, if not you'll be dead in the water if the cop shows.

25. Banned/Deleted User

but he also has to have more evidence then "I seen him do it" dosent he? Thats not beyond a reasonable doubt"..

26. Eisenflower

Nope, he gave you the fine, his word is stronger then yours unfortunately, unless like I said you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his word is faulse. The officer will most likely throw so many variables into the equation when he's on the stand to give his defence such as how he's an experienced officer, he has good judgement, he trains for this on a reg basis (he'll give dates and courses completed) etc etc and so on.. They know their shit. By you simply saying he's accusation is false will not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are not guilty of the offence.

27. Banned/Deleted User

thats not a reasonable doubt, cause A)he had no radar, B) he said he paced me to get a speed and according to the law you have to pace for 2kms to make a call on that, he didnt, it was like 300m C) he lost sight of my vehicle and D) it wasnt a speeding ticket, just too fast for conditions.. I could have been doing 40 in a 50 zone in an ice storm for all they know..

28. ~La~Aruca~

try to lick ur elbow

29. slouse

slouse
    [OP]

Blindly paying a fine is the dumbest thing you can do.

How much is that going to cost you? It's a lot more than is printed on the ticket.

30. slouse

slouse
    [OP]

Oh, and on the handicapped parking ticket issue, I got off one of those once, I claimed there was snow on the ground (which there was) which was covering the blue paint. There was no posted sign.

This was in the Quinpool Towers parking lot (they have since erected a sign)

31. bluenosersx

i won't be bothered because so far every time i've been fined i have been speeding, no way to rule it out when they have me clocked, i was in the wrong i can fess up to it.

32. Shafft

RC-OG

When I got my careless ticket (157 in a 100) I fought it in court ...and the cop was an idiot.. I prooved him wrong on a couple counts.. but I didn't have the knowledge to pull it off. If i had a lawyer.. I don't think that I would have lost at all..

pretty funny cross examining a cop though.. :lol:

33. 91bluecivic

wow did i ever get found guilty today.....i had no chance...wouldnt even let me have a ajurnment....:(

34. Banned/Deleted User

Ahh, Mission Adjouorment a success, May of next year..:D

35. 98itr

Now that u have the adjouorment until May of next year, I hope that u will atleast reserach the law in that area a little more and make a good case for ur self!!!