Microsoft Certifications.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by kcehc-ytilaer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. kcehc-ytilaer

is awesome!

This may be old news, but I just found out yesterday when I was browsing Microsoft.com.

Microsoft is now taking vendor neutral certifications such as CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ towards their MCSA, MCSE etc certs.

so I was pleased to find out that I am now an MCSA due to applying my CompTIA certs. If they were not taking them I would still be one credit shy.:)

I don't know if this applys to anyone, but I thought I would put it out there.

2. ingress

_

interesting and congrats

3. User1628

I don't have any certs I don't think, just charisma and good looks

4. arsehole

certifed gangsta?

But seriously, I should probably be working on getting my certs :lol:

5. User1628

certs are over-rated. experience trumps. better than nothing though I suppose

6. arsehole

Agreed, but I'm still fresh in the IT industry and it wouldn't hurt to have em on the resume. :brows:

7. Hiltzy

Certs = gives you a chance to get a good job without having experience

I have my A+....but thats all. No other certs at all...and now 5 years experience as Network Admin.

That being said...I am slowly but surely working towards my MCITP in Server Administration.

8. kcehc-ytilaer

is awesome!

I agree with Greg...... Experience is a better thing to have right now. but lack of experience is best backed up with certifications. and that is where I am right now.

but down the road when I have the experience..and the certifications.. It may help me even more.

who knows.

not to mention I like to learn, and certs are a good way to validate what i have learned and confirms I am on the right path.

9. User1628

That's the spirit dude. I just got lucky right out of school and never really needed them. I've gone on several courses since (all paid for by work) that were certified Microsoft courses, but I just never wrote any exams. I know it, can talk the talk if someone calls my bluff.

So far having no certs has not hurt me. Although I will mention when I WAS looking for work, there were some jobs (entry level especially) that considered that a required attribute. So you're right, that will put you ahead of other newbies who, like me, have no certs.

10. arsehole

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Got a job right out of school, got lazy and never followed through with getting them. But wouldn't mind having them to put on the resume right about now.

11. jspurr

same here.. i have my A+ cert but i agree.. experience trumphs certs.

12. Hiltzy

Its kind of a catch 22.....experience trumps certs.....but alot of places don't want to give you a chance to gain experience without certs. Most of us posted so far seem to have been luckey enough to get a change to gain our experience.

13. arsehole

Yeah my current job has exposed me to a shit ton of different tasks, situations. Got a lot of experience in the last 9-10 months I've been here. I don't really know what my actual job title/duties are. Which is fine for a bit, but... :happysad:

14. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

I have my MCP, A+ and CNA. but in all reality, certs only means you have book smarts, you passed the test when you took it. if you don't apply your knowledge, they are really a waste. I've had my CNA for the last 5 years or so but ask me anything about Novell and I'll draw a blank. I just so happened to take and pass the test right after we covered it in college :p

15. arsehole

:kekeke: Novell. You work at RIM right? If you know Francis Jeffery(hes there too) ask him about what we learned about Novell in school :rofl:

16. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

Yup i know Francis. I learned enough to write the test and pass anyway :rofl:

17. Jester

b00n

Yep that's how I was as well, got lucky gained experience, what I didn't know I learnt handson and I have no certs so it's tougher to try to get into places :(