1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making the move to a heat pump

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. 17

teenage dirtbag

I paid $5500 for my 15k btu daikin mini split installed by Ready. When I was shopping I was told LG was a more budget brand and a comparable LG was a few hundy cheaper.

fwiw I had min just shy of 5 years and never had a single hiccup, and they had a big ass factory warranty on it.

I have a Moovair 12k btu unit now that is more techy than my Daikin was but I don’t know anything about the brand

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I paid $9K all in for three 12K LG Prestige heads+compressors installed about 8 years ago. Definitely got my monies worth so far :cool:

3. Lex Lucas

feels good.

What do you mean by more techy?

4. 17

teenage dirtbag

Just a few more features that my daikin didn’t have like the follow me setting and wifi connectivity

Lex Lucas likes this.
  5. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Thanks, we are single zone so follow me doesn't matter and from what I can see the new Daikin thermostats are wifi enabled

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That's one thing that sucks about having older units. No Wifi ... I can get a wifi module for each head but they are like $150 and don't work very well grrrr

7. LMAC

_

cant you guys just go central air ? its seems to be WAY cheaper

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

i will never use the wifi connectivity, set it and forget it. It’s never an emergency to turn it on or off when I’m not home imo

Wayne likes this.
  9. Wayne

Yeah, I opted to not get the wifi thermostat as well, mine is set to the same temperature (21C) 100% of the time, the only thing I need to do is switch it from "Heat" to "Cool" and vice-versa as the seasons change.

10. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

5" duct work is fine, but not ideal. There is an issue with retrofitted coils in air handler units designed for an oil burner; And that its just not designed for it. We ended up supplementing our upstairs with a 12k mini split because the temp difference between upstairs and downstairs say on a 30 degree day, will be significant. 19 degrees downstairs and it would be 23 or 24 degrees upstairs.
    We've had our 2 tonne Trane condensor installed for 3 years now and it works ok but efficiency drops off after -5. We have a wood burning insert that is on through the colder months to offset the oil coming on. But knowing what i know now, i would have went with a 4 head units of a standalone condensor and put in a couple baseboard heats. that's where it gets crappy for a lot of people; the convenience of having the oil heat is its a great backup and already there. If you go mini splits everywehre you could keep your ducted furnace, but now you have so much hvac everywhere, i would tear the ducted furnace right out.
    You really see the difference if you see a ducted heat pump designed from scratch for a new build, its night and day.
    12k heat pumps are pennies nowadays, and the installers are getting richer and richer off them. Do your homework. I got a 12k mini split $700 to my door and it works flawlessly, and that was for EVERYTHING (except i had to buy a vacuum pump and gauge set) and I installed it in 3 hours.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  11. Arod

We had thought of upgrading our geo unit to heat/cool the basement as well but in the end it would be just one huge single zone unless we spent a shit tone more money. More cost effective for us to just go with heat pumps.