1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making the move to a heat pump

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. 17

teenage dirtbag

I paid $5500 for my 15k btu daikin mini split installed by Ready. When I was shopping I was told LG was a more budget brand and a comparable LG was a few hundy cheaper.

fwiw I had min just shy of 5 years and never had a single hiccup, and they had a big ass factory warranty on it.

I have a Moovair 12k btu unit now that is more techy than my Daikin was but I don’t know anything about the brand

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I paid $9K all in for three 12K LG Prestige heads+compressors installed about 8 years ago. Definitely got my monies worth so far :cool:

3. Lex Lucas

feels good.

What do you mean by more techy?

4. 17

teenage dirtbag

Just a few more features that my daikin didn’t have like the follow me setting and wifi connectivity

Lex Lucas likes this.
  5. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Thanks, we are single zone so follow me doesn't matter and from what I can see the new Daikin thermostats are wifi enabled

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That's one thing that sucks about having older units. No Wifi ... I can get a wifi module for each head but they are like $150 and don't work very well grrrr

7. LMAC

_

cant you guys just go central air ? its seems to be WAY cheaper

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

i will never use the wifi connectivity, set it and forget it. It’s never an emergency to turn it on or off when I’m not home imo

Wayne likes this.
  9. Wayne

Yeah, I opted to not get the wifi thermostat as well, mine is set to the same temperature (21C) 100% of the time, the only thing I need to do is switch it from "Heat" to "Cool" and vice-versa as the seasons change.

10. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

5" duct work is fine, but not ideal. There is an issue with retrofitted coils in air handler units designed for an oil burner; And that its just not designed for it. We ended up supplementing our upstairs with a 12k mini split because the temp difference between upstairs and downstairs say on a 30 degree day, will be significant. 19 degrees downstairs and it would be 23 or 24 degrees upstairs.
    We've had our 2 tonne Trane condensor installed for 3 years now and it works ok but efficiency drops off after -5. We have a wood burning insert that is on through the colder months to offset the oil coming on. But knowing what i know now, i would have went with a 4 head units of a standalone condensor and put in a couple baseboard heats. that's where it gets crappy for a lot of people; the convenience of having the oil heat is its a great backup and already there. If you go mini splits everywehre you could keep your ducted furnace, but now you have so much hvac everywhere, i would tear the ducted furnace right out.
    You really see the difference if you see a ducted heat pump designed from scratch for a new build, its night and day.
    12k heat pumps are pennies nowadays, and the installers are getting richer and richer off them. Do your homework. I got a 12k mini split $700 to my door and it works flawlessly, and that was for EVERYTHING (except i had to buy a vacuum pump and gauge set) and I installed it in 3 hours.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  11. Arod

We had thought of upgrading our geo unit to heat/cool the basement as well but in the end it would be just one huge single zone unless we spent a shit tone more money. More cost effective for us to just go with heat pumps.

12. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Daikin Fit was installed over the last 2 days with additional vents put in in the basement. So far so good, but I probably won't get an idea of how it performs until the extreme heat and cold temps.
    I have it setup so that every hour it circulates the air in the house for 15 minutes which helps keep the temp more consistent between the upstairs and downstairs.
    Happy and pleased with the work Ready Refrigeration did.

Also got rid of oil completely which is great as I hate the risk of having oil. Our insurance is going down over $400 annually as a result and we also gained way more storage space.

LMAC, RoryTate and Wayne like this.
  13. SilverMan

The Spud

Who did you deal with at Ready? I spoke on the phone with Graham for about an hour talking about options. Seemed super knowledgeable, I waited over 2 weeks for a quote and it wasn't what we discussed.

14. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I dealt with Peter Rose. He came and did an assessment for us, also very knowledgeable. I had a quote a few hours later based on everything we talked about. I ended up getting a contractor on my own to get rid of the oil/furnace/water heater and installed the electric water heater myself as it was way cheaper than going through them to do the same work.

15. SilverMan

The Spud

After some miscommunication, I did get a site visit and quote today from Ready. I'm happy with the price and I think I'm going to move forward with removing oil and replacing with a FIT system. Who did you get to remove your oil tank and furnace? What did that cost? What water heater did you go with?

16. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I had Barracuda Mechanical come remove the oil and oil tank (which was half full), oil furnace, and oil burning water heater, and the cost was $440 plus tax total. I believe Ready quoted me $950 plus tax to do the same.
    I went with the Rheem Marathon 50G tank. Ready quoted me for this tank and install $1,995 plus tax. Home Depot has the same tank for $1,105. I had electricians in doing some work here already a month earlier so I just got them to run a circuit for the water heater at the same time, and I installed the tank myself after the oil was removed as I wanted to relocate where it went with the extra room we had, took about an hour to do.
    Saved some money sourcing and doing some of that extra work myself. If you decide to do the same you need to make sure you schedule everything appropriately. I had the oil removed one day, and installed the water heater after they left to minimize the time we did not have hot water. At the same time Ready was here doing some prep duct work and getting the air handler set up. The next day they came to install the heat pump and finish the install.

When I was scheduling the install with Ready they said oil and any of the components had to be removed before they could start their work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Boots likes this.
  17. SilverMan

The Spud

That's right where I am now. I've purchased a Rheem Marathon 50G tank and scheduling Ultramar to come in and remove my leased oil fired heater. I'm getting quotes on furnace and oil tank removal. Once the oil fired heater is removed I'm ready to install the electric one myself. I have an electrician doing some other stuff for me, so I got him to run an additional circuit. Scheduling several trades right now isn't a fun task.

18. infatuous

Make sure you have a backup source of heat. When heat pumps break, especially after covid it can take 6 months for parts.

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I have the Mysa units and they seem to work fine. Got one for each of the two heads with the main be if it being I don’t have to run up and downstairs to make sure they are both on heat or cool since we are running both off one compressor. PS. Need to get that cleaning hood from you sometime.