Looking for Sun HW

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BoOdOg, Aug 19, 2004.

1. BoOdOg

BoOdOg
    [OP]

Hey,

Figured someone here might know where I could get a good deal on some used sun boxes, (I checked ebay shipping is killer) ... not looking for anything too new unless it's a really good deal. I would like to have a sun blade 100 but would settle for like an Ultra 60 or so.

Thanks

2. Cody

I got my 400mhz ultra5 at a live auction in ottawa for $100! If you're not familiar with sun HW I would suggest trying to find a Sun type 5 keyboard and mouse too. And unless it comes with a monitor make sure you get a box like the ultra 5/10 that supports VGA because sun monitors aren't cheap.

Most of the used sun hw I have seen doesn't come with a keyboard/mouse and the Sun Serial A to DB9 cable is a PITA to make if you aren't good at soldering.

Can I ask why you want a sun box? Just for messing around with? If it's just to play with Solaris you can get it for i386 on sun's website through their free binary license.

3. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Greenlyph in Halifax used to sell tons of that stuff used.If you go to www.greenlyph.com and email Frank he may be able to hook you up.He may not have any stuff,but he may be able to point you in th eright direction.
    I just looked in his listing for used parts and all he has now is a Sun type 6 keyboard for 12 bucks.

4. BoOdOg

BoOdOg
    [OP]

Thanks guys, I will try emailing that guy.

As for what I want it for, I would like to have it to get almot more used to their HW, I have ran the x86 version of Solaris many times and I am very familiar with their HW. I just want it to mess around with pretty much

as for keyboard it's all about the sun 6 type usb

for the monitor I can get a 17inch sun monitor pretty easy if i want one, but I would probably just go VGA like you said for cost, could always try the little SUN to VGA adaptors people tell me work but I am yet to see them do so