1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live anywhere in Canada

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Grifter

Bluh?

When I first got there, parked the truck close to the training ground we were using for a mock scenario, was a construction site downtown. Got out of the truck, saw some real sketch looking folk, started to walk to the site then it dawned on me... I parked in front of a controlled injection site. Quickly got back to the truck and moved it to a more "ideal" location. :lol:

KMD likes this.
  2. Scott

rawr

lots of places I'd like to visit, but home is here.

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yup. Gotta pay to play

4. LMAC

_

Probably where I am or BC or back in Halifax

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Ottawa is always on a list of places to think about living for me - loads to offer and a bonus that I still have a lot of friends there who I've kept in touch with since leaving. It's intimidating moving somewhere new where you don't know anyone and part of the calculus for me.

6. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

i think a lot of people these days are visiting this topic. covid has shifted the work from home game to a whole new level. Its probably a big variable in housing right now to, for good and bad. people are moving to rural areas as long as it has internet connectivity.
    i love ns, i love hrm, and i love dartmouth. just about everything i could ever want. however montreal would be a spot i would love to live

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Going to be interesting in a year or so when things settle down and return to normal and a lot of places yank the work from home option.

8. Wayne

1%er

Not to mention starlink being as great as it is, high speed from the woods if you want.

Nick84, HairyAss and RoryTate like this.
  9. 17

teenage dirtbag

housing is a shit show. Fuck being a first time home buyer right now

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Given how this has rolled out at the larger employers *and* the uptake *and* the improvement in remote work infrastructure, you're predicting a future that wont happen. If anything, we'll go more remote.

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Montreal is also on my list. I love that city and my brother lives there - bonus of not being too far from NS for visits. There are some decent ski hills nearby. Downside is Quebec.

12. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Downside is 100% Quebec.

13. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

In our field maybe but I just don't see it happening broadly.

14. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Fuck people who don't work in our field.

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

lol

16. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I won't put up much of a fight if they order us back to the office. I'll just find another job that won't. That's the new reality.

David Puddy likes this.
  17. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

I work from wherever. Rarely is it the office, either before COVID or now. Such is the life of working with optical backhaul.

18. Grifter

Bluh?

I love that I never had to transition to the home office. I like work and home to be two very separate things. And I love the daily commute because it allows me to transition into work mode, or have some "disconnect" time on the drive home. Especially love that after a bad day. Working from home, while I'm sure there are some pros to it... I don't think I would benefit from it, nor enjoy it long term.

19. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’d be fat as fuck if I worked from home

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm out for at least three good walks with the dog a day. Working from home is no different if you treat it like a job. Work from an office and not the kitchen haha

21. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I’m in the best shape of my life working from home. You need to be aware of it but it gives you a lot more flexibility for scheduling in activities. I have 2 dogs who need walks, similar to Boots, but it’s also easier to get out for runs or do some yoga - don’t need to worry so much about getting back in time for a shower, etc. I was running when I was in the office but the most I would do was probably around 6k as I needed to fit it all in. I went for a 15k run yesterday over lunch and just sat in my own sweat on calls when I got back.

i do miss aspects of being in the office and will plan on going in a couple days a week once it’s open again (it is actually open but you have to wear a mask all day right now… no thanks).

David Puddy likes this.
  22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Oh, and talking to my wife last night, she added Canmore to the list. She’s using emotions over logic in her thought process - this isn’t going to be easy to figure out!

23. Grifter

Bluh?

Ruh roh. Canmore's in Alberta. You able to handle that? :lol:

24. KMD

KMD

Well...

RoryTate likes this.
  25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Well, this is part of the point of my wife being emotional - wants to leave the US to escape Trump, knows Alberta is Canada's most right-wing province and it's the first place she puts on the list. I don't understand how her brain works. I've actually suggested Calgary - cities are much more balanced politically regardless of how the vote goes and more to offer overall IMO.

26. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We've also both stated that the desire to stay out West has to do with the mountains and everything we love about exploring and hiking and then in the same breath, she says she wants us to spend our summers at our cottage in Nova Scotia. Irrationality drives me crazy.

27. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

hahah so true. i always said the worst thing about montreal is that its too bad its in quebec.

28. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Had a great chat with an old friend last night who lives in Canmore which added some input for me to consider:

- Canmore sounds great. Despite Alberta politics, it's a haven of left wing educated hippies who love the environment. The local antifa chapter has a high Q-Anon rating. You do need to deal with a constant mess of tourists but once you've lived there for a while, you figure out how to navigate it fairly easy and living where everyone else wants to visit is nice, especially given the things I love to do outdoors.

- She's also lived in Kelowna and pointed out that it's stupid hot in the summer and while some like this, it's also the center of a lot of forest fire activity lately. I think that's a danger anywhere in BC but that heat isn't something I necessarily enjoy. With billybobbillybob leaving the area, the appeal seems to be dropping.

- She also lived in Vancouver for 16 years. I actually thought she lived in Squamish - she didn't but could understand why I thought that because that's where she spent almost all her spare time - would move there in a second except for something to do with how doctors are paid in Alberta vs. BC. Her ideal scenario would actually be to practice TeleHealth for Alberta but from Squamish.

So, I think my current rankings are:

1. Squamish
    2. Canmore
    3. Dunno. I think Kelowna might just come off the list.

Grifter and KMD like this.