1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live anywhere in Canada

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Feb 8, 2022.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My wife and I eternally debate “what’s next” after Seattle. We love it here but know a move back to Canada is inevitable. Without talking politics, there may be even more reason to move back to Canada in 2024.

If you could live anywhere in Canada, where would you be? Already there? What makes it great?

I think we’ll probably mostly concentrate on BC. We’ve really fallen in love with the mountains and still having quick access to the ocean. The mountains are amazing year round - amazing skiing in the winter and the hiking/backpacking in the summer is fantastic. Layer in other outdoor activities we love to do and it seems an obvious choice.

But… that still puts us on the opposite coast from family. Vancouver is an obvious choice but it’s freaking expensive.

The idea of remote work for the rest of my career seems much more likely or possible now so I’m not as worried as much on the job front but access to an airport is at least somewhat needed. Ottawa was on the list for job reasons but kind of dropping in my mind now.

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

Calgary or Kelowna area would be about it for me.

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I can't live anywhere else but here. Why? Family. I couldn't take my daughter away from my parents, her aunts/uncles and more importantly her cousins. They all love each other way too much and I want my daughter to have those relationships for life, especially where she has no siblings.

Not that I really have any reason to move from here aside from that. Pretty well within 15 minutes of whatever I may need (city, ocean, international airport, shops, restaurants, etc). Not to mention Nova Scotia is still in that sweet spot of not having too many people. The only thing I'd love to have would be some rocky mountains!

chainsaw likes this.
  4. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Kelowna is definitely on my list. House prices are kind of stupid but more for your money than Seattle. Kind of a Mecca for skiing and hiking and biking.

I’m not putting Alberta and their politics on my list.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Completely expected this reply from you with conversations we've had in the past. Different stages of life - 2024 will also be when my wife and I become empty nesters - at least part time with kids likely in University. I've moved enough in my life that I know to be thinking about where I'm at now as much as where I'll be in 10 years as well - heading into our 60's at that point and thinking about retirement. I don't see NS as a great place to retire, tbh. Having the cottage and visiting often sounds great, though!

6. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

I loved Regina, small city feel. hot ass summers cold ass winters

7. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

House on a lake with excellent fishing, preferably no motor boats. With the pricing of waterfront/vacation homes doing nothing but skyrocketing, I missed the boat on that happening.

8. Goodson

Okanagan area for me. Only been through once but I remember thinking "I could get used to this"

or Whitehorse.... I love a lot about the north but having the mountains and access to Alaska is a very appealing prospect.

KMD and Grifter like this.
  9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah you're way more free to move anywhere really as you've already done so once. My roots are too deep at this point :o

I think when it comes to retirement, I'd split the warm months here with somewhere nice in the winter. I probably would have said the southern US at one point in time but I have mixed feelings about returning to that country anytime soon :(

10. 17

teenage dirtbag

that’s a good point. I don’t think it’s entirely different here where most liberal support is in the city but as soon as you leave it gets very conservative, very quickly. I spend a lot of time in rural ns and some of the shit I hear is ridiculous

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I've always enjoyed my visits to the Yukon and plan to go again - to visit. Until recently, my brother-in-law and his family lived in Dawson City. Stories of living there full time were enough to fill that bucket, I don't need to live it. :D

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Saskatoon was a city that I've visited that I loved. I just don't think Saskatchewan is known for good skiing.

Grifter likes this.
  13. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Good point about city vs. rural - I'll have to look into where a place like Kelowna fits for that. I know around here, as soon as I leave Seattle and head to the places I love to go adventuring, I hit the Trump/Pence signs pretty quickly. It's why Vancouver could be good except for the cost of housing.

14. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

If I had nothing holding me back I would want to live in yukon for a bit

15. Wayne

1%er

Same as Boots, roots are too deep...but once I get there, I'd likely consider moving out of Canada all together, maybe move somewhere tropical. BC, NB, or Nova Scotia would be only three options in Canada though, need access to an ocean regularly to keep my sanity.

16. KMD

KMD

Pussy :lol:
    If you like Kelowna look at Kamloops, also Valemount is going? to be developing a huge year round ski village.
    https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/bc-news/proposed-valemount-ski-resort-remains-in-play-3507190
    They are having trouble with funding :lol:
    They started logging the first ski run last week [​IMG]
    Just a heads up.
    Having been born and raised in NS I never thought I would leave but I love Northern BC and if I ever move it will be either back to NS or down to Kamloops I am not a fan of Kamloops but the Wife's daughter lives there. It's hot and dry always brown no green unless there is water running there but I can get used to it.

All that said I don't see us ever leaving this house here. :beer2:

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Once you get used to regular access to mountains, I’d put them over ocean access. I love the ocean but I’d have a harder time giving up mountains. It’s part of what I love about Seattle - I can walk to the beach and be in the mountains super quick - we’re surrounded by them.

18. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Why Kamloops over Kelowna?

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think being on the coast of BC with access to both mountains and ocean would be the winner.

Wayne likes this.
  20. KMD

KMD

I was just saying look at both, with the price of real estate also Kelowna has been a hot bed for antivaxxers in the province.

21. KMD

KMD

The only problem with that is you are either on the South Coast where it is going to cost millions to get into just a tear down. Or you can go to the Island and still pay a little less than the lower mainland but now you are stuck on the island where it costs a fortune to live great fishing and lots and lots of rain and also costs a lot to get on / off the island. Then there is the North Coast, well it's the North Coast.
    HairyAssHairyAss would love Smithers BC

22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I’ve thought about Victoria. It doesn’t have easy access to the mountains and skiing. Everything else about it is nice. KMDKMD did a good job summarizing where I got to when I looked at things.

23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Is Smithers where you live KMDKMD ?

24. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I do want to talk to someone who lives there. It’s odd to me that the choices in real estate seem to be “giant monstrosity” or “townhome”. I don’t see much in between. It just makes me wonder what type of people it attracts.

25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Hmm, I suppose there's Squamish, BC as well.

26. Grifter

Bluh?

I was going to suggest squamish. A few years back when I was looking at moving there, that was the more "bang for your buck" option if you had to do business in the greater Vancouver area. But... it's also a tourist and hippy hot bed. If those things don't bother you? I'd say squamish is definitely worth checking out.

27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Just looking on realtor.ca :

- Squamish looks like over priced ski condos but not totally bad. From the map, it's also pretty tiny.
    - Kelowna looks like everyone probably has a bit too much money and needs room for all their recreation toys.

KMD likes this.
  28. KMD

KMD

Nope I am in Prince George
    your safe it's a mid size ski town NDP riding but also lots of right wing as well quite balanced. I know people there and worked for a company there when I first moved to BC back in the 1990's
    They have an air port just expensive to NS have to fly to Van or Calgary then TO then HFX

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  29. Grifter

Bluh?

Didn't realize you were in PG. Did quite a bit of training there a couple years ago, in relation to logging/lumber emergencies.

Not a fan of the downtown core but lots of other cool venues and scenery. Liking the great outdoors I can see why you'd like it there! :lol:

KMD likes this.
  30. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

I am currently going through the idea of leaving the Okanagan and moving to either HRM or Calgary area.

Probably listing our house April/May and 80% chance of ending up in Calgary. Just not looking forward to navigating the current Canadian housing market again.

31. billybob

That being said, the Okanagan is 100% the best place in Canada to live generally speaking. But, mother fucker, you better have money to enjoy it.

32. billybob

Which is why an average house would cost you $1.3m. Anywhere in BC where you have easy access to both is wildly expensive.

Boots likes this.
  33. billybob

The problem with Kelowna is lack of inventory. Have a look at Vernon. Silverstar ski hill is a year round awesome hill, Kal lake and Ok lake right there. Mountains, Wineries, Golf, Hiking and other endless outdoor activities with mild winter weather. Vernon is about $100-150k less than Kelowna.

HairyAss likes this.
  34. KMD

KMD

The downtown core is a shit hole they keep trying to come up with way to "revitalize" but it is like most old towns that urban sprawl killed when the big box stores came to the outside edges. There are just too many drug users and a revolving door on the jail and no justice being served. There needs to be something done to clean this mess up but no one want to take responsibility and I don't blame them I wouldn't either.

35. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Hike Teapot Mountain in the rain, they said. It'll be fun, they said. Slippery as all hell and worth every minute.

KMD likes this.