Let the Networking Begin!!!!

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by kcehc-ytilaer, Jan 30, 2009.

1. kcehc-ytilaer

is awesome!

Well... a brief history. at the end of 2007 I was fed up with my "accidental" career in sales. My Bachelors degree was simply an extention of a high school diploma and in hindsight only went to university because "everyone was doing it".

So I went back to school and took something I really enjoy. I took an IT course through Compucollege. I have some certs from there including MCSA and A+ and Network +.

Currently I am on contract with Bell/Aliant but it ends mid March so I am getting out and Networking now.

I figured this would be a decent place for advice and possible opportunities due to the wide variety of Talents and personalities on this board.

So there you have it. I am not going to bitch about not finding anything or complain that its not handed to me on a silver platter. you need to work for what you get and that is how I approach life.

So Let hear of any ideas from the "job search" techniques to possible opportunities with your companies. I am all ears.

Thanks...

Robbie.

2. User1628

I lucked out to get where I am now, but I just kept checking Career Beacon often.

Have a good solid cover letter and resume (duh, I know) but you'd be surprised at some of the shit that comes in here during hiring periods. ~*KaRiSsA*~ ... people put this shit on their resume. lol

Be professional, when an opportunity arises, research the bejesus out of the company. Call and get names of people to personally address cover letters to. Get that nose nice and brown! :lol:

3. watcha

Born Killer

never give up,
    contact people/companies that aren't hiring, most of tehm are they just haven't posted anything yet.
    Try and find a few good people to make appointments to see, with respect to getting to know them and their company, find out what their thoughts are on hiring and such.

research the industry and pick your top 5 companies to work for, then contact them.
    be professional and proof read every correspondance you send.

Talk to any one and everyone that will listen to you...haha

4. Canuck

Try and strike up conversation with the many consultants working at Aliant. I know there are at least 50+ there now working on IT related projects. They come and go to several companies so they know which places are looking to hire and those to stay away from.

In my opinion, Career Beacon is the best site locally.

5. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Contact higher up in companies that you want to work for. Try to arrange meetings not to ask them for a job, but to find out about the company and what they are looking for. Explain that at some point you want to work for them but want to make sure that when that point comes you are well armed. If you make a good impression they will find you a job for you if one exists.

Contact headhunters. Its free, and some of the bigger ones do work.

Contact others in the industry and get names of people to call. Most industries these days are very incestuous and will gladly refer you to other companies in the same industry if they know of one hiring and they like you.

Get your resume nailed down.

6. Horsman

White Man in a Black Suit

Hey- If you want I can take a look at your Resume for you Robbie.

I'm a Personnel Selection Officer. Amongst my many responsibilities I'm a trained career counsellor and transition advisor.

Make a few cold calls. By that I mean decide what your "ideal job" is, find a few employers who offer that job, and call them, explain your situation as you did above and enquire about coming in to talk to them and pick their brain about their ideal candidate, what they bring to the table and the training such a candidate has (even if you think you have it). Ask them about their company and their policies, and thank them for their time and their help. Generally speaking, higher ups in larger companies actually love doing this. Do not ask them for a job, have a contact card ready to give them, and a resume ready to give them IF THEY ask. Ask them if you can contact them when your current contract ends to see if they have any leads in the industry, and offer them your contact card in case something comes up.

Basically the goal is to get your name out there, so when you actually go job hunting you have a few places to start where you've already established connections.

Patrick

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. TyTryon

Check out Archway Search Consultants. They seem to focus on more IT jobs than other search firms. They should have current job opportunities posted on their website.

8. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Robbie -

The #1 way to get a new job is through a recommendation from one of your current contacts. If you think you've impressed anyone enough to deserve it, ask for reference letters and, ideally, intros to other people in your field.

ITANS is another group you might want to check out. They meet fairly regularly for networking events. I've only gone once and didn't really find it was catering to my fields specifically, but from what you've posted, you would probably find a better fit.

Lastly, avoid sounding desperate in your communications with companies. I've started receiving emails from contacts of mine who have been hit hard by all the shutdowns and layoffs in Ottawa (think Nortel).. some are just downright degrading to the person writing the email. Keep in mind that your number one priority is impressing your employer, not coming off as desperate because of the current job climate. Most hiring managers know that the truly skilled / gifted employees find work no matter the climate..

Good luck dude!

9. kcehc-ytilaer

is awesome!

Horsman..I may take you up on that. maybe pm me your email and I will send it on.

Ty- I will check them out. i have a bunch of different avenues that I take when job searching and I am not sure that they are one of them..so thanks.

HairyAss- Great advice. I never get down on myself regarding work, and your right. Good people find work no matter what the conditions. My current manager, as well as a couple others here at my current contract have already stated they would give a great reference. and I will look into the ITANS thing.

Thanks All.