Let’s talk dogs

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Dec 23, 2018.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Something I never thought would happen looks like it is actually going to happen. We’re getting a dog!

Thoughts on breeds? Every “what breed is best for you” website seems to give a different answer. Looking for something friendly, not too big, short hair, doesn’t bark a lot. We have a small yard but will get out on walks with it at least once a day.

I’d love to get a Lab as that is what I grew up with but my wife doesn’t want one simply because that is what my parents would recommend and she hates doing anything they agree with - i won’t argue.

Doodles sound like a great dog as well - not having hair everywhere is a great bonus, but the sticker shock is a bit off putting.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Such a big decision to make. You can't go wrong with a golden retriever aside from the fur. They are a great starter dog because they are extremely easy to train.

3. BlackFire

Professional napper

I'm a Black Lab lover but I guess there's no surprise there.

Two of our three are siblings whose mother was half Black Lab (even if one of them is completely light cream) and the other is a Purebred. If you were to go with a Lab, I would recommend a field lab over a show lab. Field labs are taller and thinner and much more athletic. Our purebred is only 50 pounds. She is over 11 and still going strong. Most people think she is only 5 or 6.

My best friend breeds Labradoodles - Scotia Doodles. They are very nice dogs. She tends to deal mostly with the minis and some mediums. If you are really interested in one but the cost is stopping you, you could look into being a guardian for a breeding girl. They live with you and go to the breeders home when they are about to have their pups and until the pups are weaned. With my friend, they have three litters and then they are retired from the program. I am certain the cost is significantly less. I don't know if she is looking for ay guardians right now.

4. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Retrievers are great but if you are pleased that your kids are grown up, be prepared for a new permanent 2 year old. It's not a guarantee, but it happens. Also, if you have friends that don't like dogs, a golden will makes it, it's life mission to win that person over, and they can pick them out in a room full of people.
    What about a duck roller or Portuguese water dog? They are both playfully like the labs and Retrievers but a little smaller and the PWD doesn't shed.

5. Mitch

The guy that runs Patagonia Halifax store has a mini duck toller, from a browser locally. It’s a gorgeous dog.

6. hank

Tollers are great and beautiful. Very similar to my Miniature American Shepard I didn't know you could get miniature tollers...

High energy, high drive, needs much more than a walk a day.

Doodles can be nice. Needs constant grooming to prevent matting.

I think retrievers make great family pets and probably less maintenance than most dogs.

Whatever you chose, get some puppy classes and prepare to get less sleep for awhile

7. Mitch

Maybe miniature was the wrong word, they are a tiny 10 pound toller, just a smaller than regular breed maybe

8. hank

Again, didn't know such a thing existed. Not saying it doesn't, just never heard of one.

My miniature is around 28-30 lbs

Mitch likes this.
  9. Smokey

10. Matt30

I love golden retrievers.....but those fuckers steal :lol:

On multiple occasions I’ve been in customers houses and their retriever would make off with a part, tool, and in one case in the summer took my work boot way back in the woods and lost it :lol: I had to drive back to the shop in a sock.

We are also considering adding a dog to our household. Likely going to be some sort of doodle because the mother in law is allergic, and they will be the main dog sitter when we go away. Doodles are apparently hypoallergenic

11. Dewie

We have a duck-toller and much like a Border Collie, Australian Shepard or any other actual working dog they're a high energy working dog and if you don't give them a job or something that can tire them out/make their mind work they find other outlets for their energy and/or can become destructive and neurotic (Friends of ours had one that was.... not pleasant... ). Fortunately farm life is enough for our guy (mostly haha)

My wife trains dogs and it's great to see some solid advice here. Make sure you take it to some form of training as a puppy; start from day one. The more time you put in up front the better off you are in the long run. Puppy parties are great so the dog can learn how to dog. Interaction with other dogs of all shapes and sizes sure seems to have a positive impact on not developing dog aggression and other issues.

Keep in mind that unless the dog is a purebred actually breed, it's a Mutt. There is no guarantee it will be hypoallergenic, won't have bad traits from whatever breeds, etc. I'm not saying the best dogs in the world can't be mutts by any stretch! I'm just saying don't get one and expect it to be the best thing since sliced bread and get pissy when people in the industry call it a "mixed breed".

A book that my wife highly recommends to everyone is this:

Good luck! Looking forward to puppy pictures :)

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It’s pretty much the only topic of discussion at family gatherings right now. My wife found a Portuguese Water Dog / Lab mix (yes, a mutt) in a shelter in Alaska online last night that would be perfect and is considering flying up when we’re back (Alaska is a cheap flight from Seattle).

My wife wants to be able to run with the dog so high energy is a benefit. We’ll also have our kids getting out for walks with the dog as part of getting them more active.

13. Grifter

Bluh?

Labs are amazing. If you reconsider that, you won't regret it.

That being said, I'm also a big mutt lover. We have a lab mix that's is an awesome dog.

Also love hounds. Beagles in particular are great dogs. A bit more stubborn than labs to train but great. You have to start them young on keeping them in the house when the door is open, otherwise they'll make a dash for it as they love to run and hunt. But they are loving, amazing dogs as well if you put the time into them.

14. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I've always wanted a JRT or Newfoundland but the wife says no because the Newfs shit too big and the Jack's are just assholes. :kekeke:

15. Gerald

For anyone considering a Doodle because they don't shed and are hypoallergenic, look for a different breed. I love my Goldendoodle and his personality is awesome, but he sheds as much as a Golden Retriever.

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

According to my sister who adopted a Labradoodle, the non-shedding only comes from a specific breeding line and it explains why they’re so expensive.

17. BlackFire

Professional napper

As well, it depends on the coat type the dog is born with. Sometimes throw backs happen. There is always the chance that they will have a coat that will shed. The breeder should know within a few weeks of birth if they have the proper coat to be non shedding. A few years back, my breeder friend had one dog in one of her litters that she was looking for a new home for that was a throwback. It had curly fur but an open face (meaning it had short lab-like fur on its face instead of the normal curly hair) If I hadn't already had 3 dogs I would have pounced on that one in a heartbeat.

18. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

Adopt a rescue!

Duggan, v-mac and Pinkette like this.
  19. Wayne

My golden / husky mix is a fur machine...but a friendly, loyal, playful, and smart dog. My purebred lab is a great dog, but had minor health issues his entire life.

My next dog will be hypoallergenic

20. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

That’s the route we’re going. So many dogs looking for a home!

Pinkette and Beaker like this.
  21. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Application is in for a lab/terrier mutt.

boing, Boots, Scott and 1 other person like this.
  22. 17

teenage dirtbag

a little late to the party but my pug is awesome

shes super active and loves walks but mostly wants to chill with you when youre chilling out. shes 18lbs so shes not crushing you when she wants to sit on your lap and doesnt shed a ton but still you can notice it when yo vaccum lol

Scott likes this.
  23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Still waiting. Applyifg over the holidays was probably a busy time. They have replied back with questions that I’ve answered but not very responsive.

24. Pinkette

I came here to whisper "shelter dog" but it looks like you're awesome and already made that choice.

25. Duggan

As someone who fostered and also helped with screening, don't get discouraged. Shelters are often super busy and don't have as many staff/volunteers as needed.

26. Bean

Breasts

Hopefully it all works out in your favor :)
    Bf just picked up a mastiff/pitbull mix pup from a shelter in NB this week. Can't wait for him to meet my labs!

HairyAss likes this.
  27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It looks like it will be a slow process, but we're not in a rush.

28. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Well, it happened! After a few meltdowns, we realized we were going to be better off dealing with a breeder over going for a rescue. One of the reasons we’re getting a dog is to help my daughter’s anxiety, not make it use. A co-worker was telling me about their experience with a golden doodle breeder so we just went for it. They had 2 5 month olds so we went up on Saturday and walked out with a new puppy. Meet Nova:

6CA42A1F-2C7A-416E-9FAA-1062EDA4D842.jpeg

She is the calmest puppy - will take her a while to adjust but she just wants to snuggle. Hopefully she gets used to the hardwood floors soon - spending a lot of time in the backyard with her so she can few more comfortable.

Thanks for all the advice in here!

29. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Cool name!

30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

In the end , we didn’t choose the Golden Doodle for the non-shedding aspect but personality. The non-shedding aspect is a bonus if it happens which it looks like it will. She is F1B which should mean non-shedding and the super curly hair also means more poodle than golden in her which should also work out that way. We’ll see. At the moment, just happy she got out of her crate and ate breakfast this morning. She *hates* our wood floors.

31. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Don't worry. Once she gets bigger and scratches them all to hell, she'll be able to get them redone in a stain of her choice.

boing likes this.
  32. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Thanks for being an asshole?

33. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Thanks for being hyper-sensitive?

34. Bean

Breasts

Congrats!

Cheddar is right.....the floors will be ruined. My labs ruined my families floor. Had to re-sand it and stain it to sell the house :( Downfall of hardwood with pets. Unless you like the worn in/scratched/beaten up/a demon ran laps in here look.

35. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I don’t disagree but he’s the type of guy who never gets the, “maybe I shouldn’t say the negative thing when someone’s basking in the glow of the new thing in their life.” See every time he posts. I’m not new to dogs.