1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lease/Damage deposit question

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by *Jani*, Feb 26, 2009.

1. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

Here's my situation:
    I moved into the old apartment with Jeremy, as a tenant. When he moved out west, I took over the lease in my name, and added my former roommates as 'tenants'
    I paid Jeremy a portion of the damage deposit (when I moved in), and the former roommates paid him the remaining portion when they moved in a yearish later.

The roommates are telling me that they have to be there to do the walk through, sign off on the lease and to collect their damage deposit (which they actually owe a large portion to me for power and the carpet cleaning).

Does that make sence, where their names are strictly listed as 'tenants' and not technically the names on the lease?

Only reason I'm concerned is because they've been quite sketchy lately, and I'm pretty sure they're going to try to rip me off, again.

I'm going to call the super tonight and hopefully actually go see her to ask in person, but in the meantime, I'm spewing steam out of my ears and wanted to get a bit of reassurance :o

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

The check will most likely be mailed to whoever is named on the lease.

I'd defintely ask the super asap before they get to her and mislead her.

3. dpwu32

Trash elf

Word. Get a hold of the super, and explain the situation. You've gotta look out for yourself first on this one.

Fuck knows Goodie won't man up and crack skulls for you if you need him to... :lol:

4. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

actually, thanks to Goodie, I've started to 'man up' myself and put my foot down to them :o
    Me=push over who's horrible at math.

The super is actually friends with the guy's mom, so I can't really explain the full situation because she may jump to their side :happysad:

5. User1628

tell him the time of the walk through is three hours after it actually is. collect money. take what he owes you. when he shows up., give him his nickle and tell him to have a nice life.
    fuck off dude. :rolleyes:

6. ingress

_

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Why's it matter most landlords try and screw u out of the deposit anyway

7. User1628

the concern is the other roomies will just take off and not pay their share of the last month of bills.
    this way she takes out what they owe, and tells them to go on with their merry lives.

8. ingress

_

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I never endured the roomate thing

Thank christ

For them

9. User1628

haha.

They tried to charge her for a PPV event for 60 bucks when she wasnt even home. just said hey pay us xxx amount

sleazy

10. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

after hiding the bill... :rolleyes:
    I always put the power bill on the fridge for them to see. They seemed to always hide the eastlink one and just tell me to pay X dollars. Most other times it made sence the amount they told me to pay, this time. not so much.

11. sammy

wow when i had to give my damage deposite we all gave individual cheques so at the end, we got them back.

12. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

it gets quite confusing, because if they are giving back the original check, it would be in Jeremy's name. We gave him the actually cash for it. (since he had the apartment for years before I moved in) so I'm hoping that they don't do it that way for this place :happysad:

Dear god, I hope this works out and I don't have to deal with roommates ever again :cry:

13. STYLINator

Missy

Wow Jani......I would definatly get a hold of Gail and deal with it.

And as for the answer to your question....them as tenants(on the lease) have the same rights you do.

14. visual_kool

What do you mean by a "tenant"? Anyone who is on the lease and lives in the place is a tenant and are liable for things. If they aren't on the lease, they shouldn't be living there.

They cannot give back the original cheque. Damage deposit money must, by law, be deposited into a savings account and gain interest. This interest is to be paid to the tenant, along with the original deposit, assuming that there is no damage to the property when they leave.

15. watcha

Born Killer

the landlord doesn't "hold" a check.
    they send the money to teh rentalsmen he deposits the money in an account and holds it until you move out.
    at which time the landlord has 7 days post move out to apply to them with any damages/griviences. if after 7 days there are none you can apply to get it back.

it really has little to do with the landlord.

NOTE!!!!
    this is whats suposed to happen, which also isn't ALWAYS the case, some sleazy landlords take your money and deposit it to their own accounts and never send it to the rentalsman's office.

if this is the case......good luck getting any money back at all. It's amazing what a landlord will do/say to keep from paying out money.

16. hank

Truth.

I've never given a penny to one yet though. If something is worng I'll fix it myself or have a valid reason not to ie documented pre-existing problem/not my responsiblility to fix

17. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

I talked to the super, and to the old roommates.. Things are worked out.. They agreed on the amount that they are going to give me for bills, which ends up just giving 1 of them their damage deposit..

I was all worked up for nothing :o

18. Hiltzy

glad to hear.

19. Zombietech

Very true! I actually had to call the rentalsman in NB and they helped me bone a land lord. I got me cash bye!! :bigup:

20. Hiltzy

The rentalsmen helped you have sex with a landlord?

21. JoeLouie

It's actually 10 days, but everything else is correct.

22. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

I was hoping I'd be getting the D.D back tomorrow when we do the walk through, but I guess I can handle another 2 weeks :lol:

23. JoeLouie

They might give it back to you tomorrow, you never know. But by law they have to give it back within 10 days.

24. jorser

Be bold in your actions

Let me know if there are any issues. You know I'm a fair guy. :)