Laptop ???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by frankster, Jan 3, 2004.

1. frankster

frankster
    [OP]
    coffee, the dark blood

Hey my buddy is lookinig at a laptop, I have no idea about them and he has NO idea about PC's at all BUT he wants a GOOD one. What do you people who know more than I think about a Toshiba A20-31QP4?

2. frankster

frankster
    [OP]
    coffee, the dark blood

3. jc

jc
    in it

Well, I wouldn't call that a laptop, I'd call it a portable or "luggable" computer. You're looking at an 8 pound monster with a realisitc battery life of less than 2 hours. If you plan to actually work disconnected from power and take it places you will be highly disappointed. If you plan to work with it on your lap wear THICK pants. The heat output will be substantial. OTOH, if you really want this kind of a portable computer then Toshiba Satellite's are usually reasonable PCs. I would look for an IBM or Apple if possible. While IBMs desktop machines are nothing spectacular the reliability of their laptops is legendary. Most consumer and business reports show the long term cost of an IBM laptop is best.

Most people could help you here better if you put down why you are venturing into fragile expensive computing land and what you want to accomplish over a desktop system. If you are just dragging this thing in a car from work to home and vice versa then the one you selected is probably OK.

4. Teknic

Leave the "mighty blue Apple" out of this ;) I think the guy wants a real PC not something to eat. :D Aren't the G4 notebooks all one solid gray colour, with a light up apple logo on the back? *gag*

I like the Panasonic Toughbook's. None of that plastic case shit, so you can beat the notebook aound. It's case is magnesium alloy. Got some good features. But it probably costs more than he'd want to spend. Still works good though
    http://www.panasonic.com/computer/toughbook/learn_more_tb29.asp
    http://www.panasonic.com/computer/toughbook/tb_models.asp <- Different models

5. COOLEN

Get the Toshiba M10

Better yet I will sell it to you. The new Gateway M275E is sweet too.

6. jc

jc
    in it

Good suggestion Teknic. But, again it depends greatly on need and we haven't heard that yet.

On the other hand, it is really sort of sad how you have to lash out at every suggestion of an Apple product. Just because they have the highest customer satisfaction index for laptops year after year is no reason to be jealous. Just get one. :)

All I said is that they would be wise to consider it. I also suggested IBM. The toughbook is also a good idea for many situations. Like my iBooks, the lighter models have a magnesium frame and (supposedly bulletproof) polycarbonate shell. But, they are a lot more expensive.

7. frankster

frankster
    [OP]
    coffee, the dark blood

They just want it for in thoer apartment for internet, DLing and uploaded GPS units and stuff. Want a "laptop" for space saving.

8. Xtreme989

If you are gonna go with a laptop, and are looking at toshibas get a tecra. they are lighter weight, and don't get overly hot...battery life on mine is like 4.5 hours....and they are a nice looking system as well. I have no complaints.

9. frankster

frankster
    [OP]
    coffee, the dark blood

It's all forgetable now, he just picked up a FREE desktop from a family member so no need to buy a pc at all LOL Thanks for the help though

10. Xtreme989

no better deal on a pc than free....

11. Teknic

Not like any of us gave the same answer for a laptop, so it's good they got a free PC :D heh