laptop help?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by iKe, Jan 20, 2004.

1. iKe

iKe
    [OP]

alrite.....im not sure if this is the rite place fer this er not but hey....

a friend of mine piked up an older laptop, all he wants it for is cruisin the internet, msn and icq....no big deal right....

problem is...were on high speed here, and his laptop only has the plug in for a phone cord,...is there anyway anything can be done to get it up on the internet,?.....any help iss GREATLY appriciated....

the only thing i have heard is that if i get a PMCSIA card or something ( idont know either) it is possible to get it to go to high speed (RJ-45)?...anyone no anything about this either?

2. Dural

Insert something witty

You can not get high speed through the regular phone cord jack on your computer. That is a dial up modem which is useless to you for what you want. You do have to get a pcmcia card for the laptop, it's network card basically. The only thing I could say is try looking into a wireless card, there is a lot more equipment then you probably want but for a laptop it's priceless.

3. Xtreme989

definetly go wireless....its easier than haing to plug shit in every time you wanna go on line

4. Hornblower

haha my laptop doesn't have a 3.5 floppy drive can i just jam one in the cd rom?

5. Jake

but remember, going wireless will require more than just a nic.

6. Dural

Insert something witty

Use a butter knife if it gets stuck to make sure you get it out.