1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lap top

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by J-Bro, Oct 3, 2004.

1. J-Bro

J-Bro
    [OP]

okeee, I need help.

I'm looking to buy a Lap top, but I don't really know what to look for?

Any pointers? I dunno what price range I'm working with yet (nothing overly priced....)

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Entry level laptop will cost you as much as a much more powerful desktop.

Think hard before you buy a laptop.. they suck imo. Great for somone who's on the move a lot, but shitty for the average user. They are expensive/impossible to upgrade, are far less functional then a desktop, and easier to break/get stolen.

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

and expensive to fix if you do break em....

4. Lex Lucas

feels good.

:werd: If I were in your position I would get a desktop. You're not going anywhere! :p

5. C13

C13

I'm also considering getting a laptop, but only because in about 6 months time I'm going to have to start writing my Masters thesis, and it'd be a lot easier to write on my own laptop than using the shared computer in the office. I'm not even really looking for a GOOD one, a used one would be just fine for me. Does anybody know of a decent used laptop place in Halifax? Even though I don't live there anymore, I still go back semi-regularly to visit peopole.

6. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Unfortunately the only business in Halifax that you are going to find that sells used laptops is PCmedic and they are ridiculously expensive there. Your best bet would be to search newsgroups from around your area and try to find one private sale.

7. C13

C13

Yeah, I've dealt with PC Medic before, and they were total assmongers. They did work on my computer that I didn't request or authorize, then tried to overcharge me for it.

8. Cody

Remember with a used laptop you're usually not going to be getting a decent battery, so if you plan on working away from a plug make sure you factor in the cost of a replacement battery. My tecra battery in my old laptop was over $400 to replace. Also, make sure you get one that meets your performance needs, the only two things you can really upgrade in a laptop are RAM and Hard disk.

9. C13

C13

Hmmm... kinda sounds less and less like something I'm actually gonna want... Hopefully my boss'll get a new comp for the student office, and if so I'll just take that one :D

10. John Doe

The most important thing to remember when you get a laptop is great service! Don't forget to get a decent warranty (3 years) from a reputable company! that will be the best thing you ever did.

www.dell.com <-- onsite warranty up to 4 years

11. John Doe

$400!!!! HOLY SHIT!!! Batteries for Dells are like a bill, brand new.

12. Cody

yeah, it was one of the biggest reasons I upgraded.

13. visual_kool

Acadia is selling their used laptops.

Beverage Arts Center (BAC) Acadia University, Wolfville NS

The sale is scheduled for October 16th. Sale Hours = 9am-5pm Saturday THERE WILL BE NO WAITING LIST. This is a first come first serve, AS IS WHERE IS sale.

R31
    Grade ‘A’ system (Relatively good condition, good quality LCD) = $520.00 plus Tax
    Grade ‘B’ system (Some LCD marks and cosmetic scratches/marks etc.) = $470.00 plus Tax

R32
    $800.00 plus Tax

Visa / Mastercard / Debit ONLY

NO warranty on any systems Although these systems do not have warranty we will address any concerns and/or problems on Monday October 18th until 4:00pm. If there is a serious problem (As determined by a USC technician) we reserve the right to refund or replace the system. The laptop must be brought to the User Support Centre in person to have any refunds or replacements done on or before the 4:00pm deadline. NOTE: Batteries are not tested and not guaranteed. Battery condition/operating time will range from approximately 0 minutes to 1 hour. Batteries, or any system that has a dead battery, will not be replaced. NOTE: Because of university commitments, the User Support Center will not be available to perform repairs on purchase systems. Repair issues can be taken to any authorized IBM repair depot. Check the yellow pages or the IBM web site for an authorized dealer near you.

14. J-Bro

J-Bro
    [OP]

Thanks for the help guys :)

I'm gonna keep looking around, not sure what I'm gonna do yet.....