Kyle Busch to F1?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Racer_23, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Racer_23

Racer_23
    [OP]

I posted this on Racing Trader but I thought a few of the NASCAR guys would like this on here.

Kyle Busch's agent said the young NASCAR star would "certainly leave the door open" to try Formula One "at some point" after Busch's name was mentioned during a press conference announcing a new American-based F1 team.

Officials with the USF1 team, which will be based out of Charlotte, said it would be interested in having Busch drive its car.

Busch is under contract at Joe Gibbs Racing through the end of next season.

"Obviously, it's very flattering for him to be mentioned for a Formula One ride, especially an American-based team," said Jeff Dickerson, Busch's agent. "Thanks to Toyota, he was excited at the prospect of getting to test a Formula One car this past offseason.

"While it didn't work out then, he would certainly leave the door open to try it out at some point. At the same time, he's currently focused on winning the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series championships for Joe Gibbs Racing."

IndyCar Series drivers Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti were also among the drivers mentioned as possibilities by the USF1 team.

Link

2. Leroy

@danackles29

They can have him:kekeke:

I actually doubt his attitude would work with the F1 crowd. Good riddance to him if he goes though. It would be a stupid move on his part, i'm sure he'd be taking a pay cut.

3. Majarvis

As much as I prefer F1 over NASCAR, he'd be an idiot to leave the cash-cow that is NASCAR for an un-proven F1 team, to only end up driving around at the back of the grid. I give USF1 (the name of the new team) two years in F1 max before they flop and close down. I doubt even Marco Andretti or Danica Patrick would leave the U.S. for USF1. Maybe when Scott Speed gets fired in NASCAR he'll go back to F1 via USF1, lol.

4. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

he'll never succeed in F1. they turn left AND right. :kekeke:

5. Majarvis

Dale Jr. would do well in F1.

He turns left... and right into Kurt or Kyle Busch. :lol:

6. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

that's a good one! :rofl:

7. DUKE

Alfa as Fuck

It would be interesting to see how a US team would do in F1. I wouldn't get a NASCAR driver for my F1 car though.

8. Leroy

@danackles29

Could try Juan Pablo Montoya...

9. Snide

Go Habs Go!

or Stewart. They seem to be the 2 best road course guys.

10. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

He actually didn't do too bad considering. They weren't too fussy about him in F1 because he was a little to flamboyant and outspoken.

F1 is definitely where the best drivers in the world end up. You see some drivers dominate their class (as montoya did in CART) then come to F1 and suck ass. Nigel Mansel came from F1 and did very well in CART

11. pmachan

The best drivers in the US are currently in Nascar, or trying to get in Nascar.

12. pmachan

Montoya sucked in F1? Maybe he didn't realize his potential, but he far from sucked. Some great races/moves from Montoya in his Williams days.
    He absolutely dominated qualifying back when it was actually light cars trying to go fast.

13. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

sorry, didn't mean montoya in general. Michael Andretti for one, Alex Zanardi is another. you're right, Montoya was good in F1. should have used Andretti as an example

14. pmachan

Andretti did suck, and his son Marco also sucks and would be a bad move.
    Danica would be a joke completely unfortunetly. As I said, most of the best in the US are in Nascar, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, etc. I won't say Jimmie Johnson, I don't think he is that good and he would be nowhere with out Chad Knaus and Hendrick.

15. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

Yeah, danica would not work in F1. I don't think they would accept a woman unfortunately. those guys are complete old school...

some CART drivers did well in F1.... Villenueve and Montoya

16. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

I would like to see Sebastien Bourdais try out for a F1 team

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  17. pmachan

I don't think you are very up to date on your F1 stuff, Bourdais drove for Toro Rosso last year, and re-signed for this year as well. He was testing with them as far back as mid 2007..

18. Snide

Go Habs Go!

Bourdais had a few decent races last season.
    His biggest problem was finishing races. He blew up a few engines last year.

19. Leroy

@danackles29

Well Tony won't go anywheres obviously, but his cart days were a big help to his road course program with Gibbs (and hopefully it carries over)

Montoya has a tough personality that probably only Chip Ganassi could handle :kekeke:

20. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

Oops.. my bad. I haven't paid much attention to it over the last couple years. The last season i really paid any attention to was Montoya's last.

I'm going to get back into it this year though

21. Racer_23

Racer_23
    [OP]

NASCAR needs Kyle Busch right now more then ever, I was looking at a poll the other day on NASCAR.com that had 5 drivers not in a chase position to miss the chase, Jr was voted most likely to miss! he has won every poll he is in so to see him being voted the most likely to miss sounds like the fans are giving up on him.

PS Kyle had the least votes making him the most likely to make it.

22. Leroy

@danackles29

I agree, as much as I dislike, despise, hate the guy he needs to be there. There has to be a guy for everyone to hate on. Used to be Jeff Gordon but hes lost the edge, as long as there is a Kyle Busch i won't mind Jeff Gordon winning a race lol.

23. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Danica flat out said she wouldn't go to F1 in an interview with Bob McGown last week.

24. PirateSteve

I have a hard time liking F1. The cars are over the top technically, which is cool. But don't be fooled by them being the top drivers in the world. Sure the best guys are definitely on another level, but there are just as many hacks bringing big money or sponsorship for their seat as any other level of racing.

I really don't know who from North America could be an impact driver in F1. I'm thinking that if you haven't had your shot at F1 by age 27 or so, you are too far behind the curve to get up to speed.

Maybe a young guy like Graham Rahal would do well with proper funding.