Jenny's Place

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by PitBull, Feb 6, 2009.

1. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

The worst service I've ever experienced. Nothing about the experience was any good. You don't have the read the whole thing, but I was amazed at how bad it was. I wouldn’t want you guys to suffer the same fate.

First thing - we and some other people have met for meetings there before. I've asked for tap water twice with my meal (so it's not like I wanted to sit there for free), but they refused me it. They said they don't do that because "their water isn't quality" (and bottled water is $2.50). But a couple times I showed up late other women got tap water. I guess it's just a guy thing. We've met there I think 5 times in the past - I've never been impressed with the service even besides that, but last nights was an experience to remember.

First, I was sitting at a table alone waiting for people to show. The waitress comes over.

Her: "Would you like to order something?"
    Me: "I'm just waiting for… (she walks away without waiting for me to finish) some… other…"

Two other girls have arrived, and we're waiting for others. We discuss how we'd like to eat something, and we'd order before the others got there so we wouldn't be eating through the whole meeting. I forewarn them that sometimes service here can be sketchy. Drink guy comes over, and two of us order pop.

A couple minutes later he comes back with the pop.

(slams down glasses and pop cans)
    Him: "FOUR FIFTY." Turns and leave without waiting for payment, or response.
    Both of us: "Excuse me! Could we… order…"
    Girl, to me: "Wow - you weren't kidding."

Also note that he assumed we were a couple. Not a horrible thing (she was pretty), but I'd like the chance to clarifty for help on the bills.

The rest of the people show up. It's been like 15 minutes. Drink guy comes over again to get them drinks. He's nicer to them. He says he'll send the waitress right over for our food.

10 minutes later, she comes.

Her: "Would you like to order something?"
    One girl: "Yes. I'll have your cheesecake."
    Her: "OK!" Turns and leaves quickly, without waiting for other orders.
    Me and that other chick: "Excuse me! Could we… order…"

10 minutes later, the cheesecake comes. We're able to snag her into taking our orders. The food comes in 10 minutes or so, which I suppose isn't horrible. It isn't great - fries taste old. And the wrap's sauce tastes watered down. I eat half and then start thinking it's watered down with bodily fluids (because I'm sure by now they can tell we're pissed) and can't finish. Real chicken though.

She comes to settle the bill like 10 minutes after we're finished. Me and the chick beside me (the one who I shared the worst of the service with) both pay with credit cards. Chick next to me says how she's never not tipped before, but she won't be tonight. It would have been nicer to have had the bills a little earlier, but oh well. Dealing with them is over. Or is it?

Waitress returns, and gives us our bills. She charged our orders on the wrong credit cards. Mine was $1 more expensive than hers. We ask her to just void the transaction and do it over.

Waitress: "It doesn't work like that. I can't do it. (To me) Do you have $1 in change?"
    Me: "In the car…"
    Waitress: "Sigh…"
    Other chick: "(To waitress) Here - just give me the difference you owe me. That'll at least solve my problem."
    Waitress: "Ok - here's a dollar. Oh - I don't know what to do about yours. Hmmm. Well. Hmmm. I guess I'll just have to void the transaction."

DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY YOU COULDN'T? Rrrrrr… Oh - and she only gave the chick 75¢. I sign the receipt she gave me and left without waiting for the more expensive receipt. Now I'm waiting to see what appears on my credit card. Needless to say we're never meeting there again, or returning on our own.

2. arsehole

Jenny's is cool if you like watered down beer, darts and VLTs. Other then that is it and always has been a dive(at least since I started going there as a kid) The food is all super greasy deep fried. You can occasionally get a good plate of fish a chips (there are much better places in town though) but your gut will hate you later. I'd never buy a steak there. The last one I had about 3-4 years ago was complete shit.

As much as I talk shit about it, I do find myself there since I've lived up the street from it for 26 years. But I could count the number of times I've eaten there in the last couple years on one hand.

3. TLC

TLC

Awful.
    I ONLY drink water with my meal, and I would not be paying $2.50/bottle for it.

4. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

I've been a Jenny's regular for years. We normally go there for their $3.95 brunch at least once a weekend and I'll stop in after work on occasion. A couple of my friends live in the north end.

One of the older waitresses use to give us a hard time when we first started going there, but they all love us now. Their customer service is excellent, for the most part, but all staff has their days.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember your servers names? If not, what did they look like? You can PM me if you don't want to say here.

5. *Jani*

Blinky

Wow................
    That is horrible! I felt my blood boiling reading that!!

Thanks for the heads up.. I've always wondering about that place

6. CyberCX

Why so serious? Isn't that a bit extreme? I'm sure bad customer service happens somewhere, all day, every day.

7. cohiba

This place sounds so familiar. Where is it exactly in the North End?

8. hank

Lady Hammond RD next to a hotel

9. cohiba

Right next to the motel that advertises it has color tv and air conditioning :lol:

10. Ryan_NS

Hate to say it but.....It's Jenny's Place...

What did you expect :hsugh:

Sounds like a horrible experience though. On the off chance that I would ever consider going there this just made my mind up for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  11. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

What - they treat people bad until they warm up to you? lol

For all the people go on about the beefs I post - I usually give places the benefit of the doubt. I typically only posts things if they happen on more than one occasion. I've just had multiple off experiences at this place. Last night was so almost comically bad I thought I'd post it.

12. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

Most laundromats don't bode well in the food service aspect.

13. hank

creative accounting department? Think they would have more entertainment... cover charge is an good money maker :kekeke:

14. arsehole

Yeah plan and simple, its just a shitty little hole that happens to serve food.

15. Leroy

@danackles29

I dunno, I enjoyed my cardboard steak and flat beer last time I was there.

16. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

well your expectations should be immediatley lowered when going in a place like jenny's. but still, bad service

17. CKR

CKR

It's Jenny's, it's a shit hole dive of a place, you got good service IMO. :lol:

18. 17

teenage dirtbag

when your job is customer service, youre not allowed to have "days"

19. millsey

We used to go there all the time, but the food and service just gets worse and worse. Go to the Lion's Head next time.

20. Daver

my class went there yesterday, the drink guy stood next to me until i gave him a tip. food was quick to arrive, but the waitress was also very quick to remove plates, most people were not finished yet and had to tell her to put the plate back down. overall i wasnt really impressed, probably wont be back.

21. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

The Lion's Head isn't too bad. A bunch of us got told off once by the drink guy though because all wanted to put our drink tab with our order (we were just there at lunch, so we all got pop and most of us had debit). He was pissed he had to take so many orders and not get tips from it. That was a couple years ago now I think. The last time I was there was during that one big ass storm last year that f-ed up rush hour traffic and we were all stuck at work, so we just went there for some drinks and waited for stuff to clear up.

Although the food and food related service was good. I should mention this place to the group actually.

Their potato skins are ginormous.

22. CyberCX

Lion's Head wings are decent and I think they're only 15 or 25 cents on wing night (Tuesday). I use to go there all the time when a good friend of mine worked at CTV across the street.

23. Shellie

Team Suzuki

That would guarantee no tip from me.

24. cohiba

Leave a smiley face with pennies on the table.

25. Shellie

Team Suzuki