1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The More You Know: It sucks to get hit by a vehicle while jaywalking

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Jul 2, 2013.

1. C. Mike Hunt

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/...fined-400-for-jaywalking#.UdLc-CwR8uQ.twitter

Halifax Regional Police fined a 75-year-old man who was hit by a pickup truck in the city Tuesday morning.

Officers were called to Windsor Street near Strawberry Hill Street at 9:29 a.m.

The victim, who was not in a crosswalk, suffered minor injuries. He was conscious as he was taken to the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre for treatment of small bruises and lacerations.

His ticket is for jaywalking and is set at $399.91, according to police spokesman Const. Pierre Bourdages.

This is the 16th jaywalking ticket issued in the municipality in 2013.

2. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

we need more cross walks!!!

all of kept rd doesnt have any. windsor is far and few between as well.

3. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

4. Cooper

FTP

Buddy of mine in high school got hit by a bus and broke his pelvis and leg, still got a jaywalking ticket lol

5. Majarvis

6. hammer

Richard Simmons

We don't need more crosswalks, we need to teach people how to cross the street without believing that painted lines and an assumed right-of-way will keep them safe. And generally for everyone to have a look out for everyone else.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  7. Vance

My whole life I never biked on the sidewalk, I would always follow the rules in biking on the roadway, using proper hand signals to turn, obeying traffic lights, stopping with traffic as opposed to passing on the inside of the lane, ect. The first and only time I biked on a sidewalk, I get hit by a truck, granted he wasn't looking when he pulled across the sidewalk but It was entirely my fault. If I was the guy that got hit while jaywalking I'd accept that ticket for my own stupidity.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Matt30

How many points is that worth?

9. Ron Mexico

I dont get the sarcasm but zero :)

10. Ron Mexico

If a car drives through a red light, ticket. If a car drives through a flashing cross walk with people in it and doesn't hit anyone, ticket. Jay walkers though seem to only get tickets when they get hit. its not very consistent. Other wise cops could make 1000 tickets a day on Spring Gardens and its side streets daily.

11. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

Saw a couple cross Dentith Road in Spryfield about 10ft from the crosswalk at Herring Cove Road. They almost got plowed then gave the driver a dirty look. Its ridiculous how some pedestrians think they always have the right of way. In a crosswalk, yes, BUT, please wait for the cars to stop!

12. briangtiguy

anyone else notice the age of most(not all, but most) of the drivers that have been involved in these incidents lately?

13. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

There seem to be a lot of 60+ drivers involved in incidents if i'm not mistaken?

14. briangtiguy

yup

15. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

But, if you call for them to re-test, they say its age discrimination. No, its the fact that you can't see, hear or react like you did when you were in your 20s and 30s.

Alternatively, young drivers think they are indestructible and too busy checking text messages and rocking out to their music to pay attention. That's why they get involved in accidents.

Of course, I'm generalizing and not all drivers in either age group, are bad