Instant pot

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Boots, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

Anyone here still using one? I make steel cut oats for breakfast and read that an instant pot does a nice job cooking them so I borrowed a friend's to try it out. It works well. I'm curious to try some other foods in it. I think I'll grab one on Black Friday. Which one do you have and what are your thoughts?

2. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

They're ok. I found that they tend to dry out meat though, so I don't use it so much. I'd rather fire up the slow cooker.

Boots likes this.
  3. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

Ever use the IP as a slow cooker? Surprised it dries out meat. You'd think being sealed that it would be the opposite

4. Scott

rawr

I use one. Make some awesome garlic butter chicken. no issues with dried meat that I've found :shrug:

Boots likes this.
  5. MRA

MRA

I use it most often as a slow cooker, works just as good as any other slow cooker I've used.

I've never had it dry out meat pressure cooker mode, or slow cooker mode. Have to be sure to add enough liquid at the start though or it will sense that and stop cooking in pressure mode

Boots likes this.
  6. ingress

_

I have an all in one Breville that I purchased before InstantPots were all the rage, I rarely use in warm months
    but 1 or twice a week in cold and I use the slow function way more often than the pressure
    occasionally I'll make oats but I start it before I go to bed

Boots likes this.
  7. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

I like the idea of tossing my oatmeal in it the night before and waking up to a cooked breakfast :o

8. Wayne

I don't even use a slow cooker for roasts/chicken anymore. I find the meat cooks so much better traditionally roasting it with the right heat.

Grifter likes this.
  9. Grifter

Bluh?

This.

10. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I bought the 6qt a few months ago during Prime Day. I've been very happy with it so far on the handful of times I used it. I basically use it as a quick slow cooker - something to cook a quick meal after work in (~30 min including pressurizing and depressurizing). I didn't like leaving a slow cooker on during the day because I found by the time I got home everything was overcooked even when it switches to warm mode after cooking. I made this the other week (I just take slow cooker recipes and make them in the instantpot) and it turned out awesome. https://www.lentils.org/recipe/greek-slow-cooker-chicken-lentils/

Haven't ventured out to try all the other different things the instant pot can do yet

Boots likes this.
  11. Matt30

We have two. They’re great. I haven’t had any issues with it drying out meat or anything.

The only thing i can’t seem to get right in it is chicken wings....the meat always falls off the bones into the pot.

Boots likes this.
  12. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

We had turkey stew last night in the Instant Pot using leftover turkey and turkey carcass from Thanksgiving. It was awesome. Definitely use it more in the fall/winter than summer, but great addition to the kitchen.

13. clicker666

Older lifter

I like picking up some of those cheapo pork or beef roasts when they go on sale, throwing them in the cooker with some sauce, and making pulled pork/beef sandwiches. The meat is just too tough to eat any other way - and hey, for usually $5 a roast you get two-two person meals out of it.

BlackFire likes this.
  14. teal

A Candy Cajolers Thrill

I love mine, though I did not use it much in the summer.
    Makes fantastic butter chicken, and I made some variation of a beef, quinoa, sweet potato/squash mix at least once a week last winter. I've been experimenting with hot sour soup recently, and having good results.

Boots likes this.
  15. never_be_sold

Recently picked one up, so far I've only used it for rice, and it was fantastic.

16. Crandall