1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insane AE86 Video

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Eisenflower, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Eisenflower

2. OJ Pimpson

Domino Motherfuckers

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

:eek:

some close to the wall!

4. shaun

Freedom 27

INSANE

5. PirateSteve

Meh, it dosn't do it for me. I'll put drifting in the pile with the rest of the jap fads that americans want to copy. Pog, pokemon, anime etc :ugh:

6. I_am_that_dude

fad or not, its still crazy!!

7. PirateSteve

If you want crazy, go to a real racing event and see multiple cars sharing the same turn at 100mph+. Thats real skill, not yanking the hand brake and countersteering while cooking your rear tires...Its like figure skating compared to hockey. If you think that drifting is crazy, then you must think that a triple sow cow or whatever is. I mean seriously, Nopi turervision says its cool so it must be right.....

8. Shafft

RC-OG

would have rather seen that from outside the car.

9. wreak

I dunno controlling a slide at that speed looks like it requires skill and some balls. Also who said anything about Nopi tunervision besides yourself? I think before you play down someones skills in any type of motorsport you might wanna jump back to reality and think whether you could touch their skill on the track.

10. PirateSteve

I think before you question my OPINION on drifting you should realize I'm probably the only person on this board who has seen these events live. The slides are slow for the most part and are about as fun to watch as grass growing. The sluts wearing next to nothing are more interesting, hence why they are there.

And second, If I want to play down their skill on the track i will. Its the same as someone who plays pickup hockey playing down the skill of pro hockey player compared to another pro hockey player. I also have a lot of 1st hand knowledge of real professional racing drivers, and I know how good they are. These guys doing drift are just the rejects from real racing, or those trying to cash in quick on a fad. I'm sorry if my opinion on drifting dosn't appeal to you, its the same reason why stunt biking dosn't appeal to me. I like when people race their vehicles not act like part of the clown show on them.

11. wreak

I'm pretty sure this thread was on the video in question not about the events which you've attended or previously seen. The AE in the vid is definatly not making "slow slides for the most part". I infact wasn't questioning your OPINION on drifting more so the fact that you were playing down the skill drifting takes in respect to the video. You seem to be talking about other experiences in drifting which I'm quite aware are very slow, but the driver in the video is going at a much faster pace then typical drifters usually go in organized events.

12. wreak

Besides the popularity of drifting isn't increasing because people are told it's cool by some rice network, it's increasing because it's alot of fun to watch and when you get a smoke show,stunt driving and racing all packed into one event you've got one large target market over a typical race event with a niche market. A market no longer lined with race fans and car enthusiasts but regular people just looking for a good show who might not know dick all about racing or cars. I think it's great and brings something new in motorsports to the table which is always a plus.

13. Matt_M

Trained Monkey

Sweet

14. PirateSteve

Main Entry: fad
    Pronunciation: 'fad
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    : a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal :

AKA Drift

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you over this, but the close to 10 million people who attended the ALMS/World Challenge races and the 40 countries they were broadcast to definitly don't make up a niche market. And thats just one real series, not even including F1, CART, IRL, Gran Am etc. If you think a field of 2-3 high caliber drift cars and a bunch of rust bucket fillers are going to increase the market, you better re analyze that a bit. And to me, an audience that wants to see tire smoking, stunt driving, ugly asian chicks etc etc, are about as interested in the real sport as those who go to NASCAR for the crashes. :rolleyes:

Drift wil get more popular in the next couple of years, peak out, and then fade into the background as a true niche sport

15. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

..wait. people DON'T go to nascar for the crashes? :lol:

16. PirateSteve

No, they actually just go to get wasted I think :lol:

17. wreak

We aren’t in a pissing match, I was having a conversation but if your worked up that’s fine. As far as 2-3 high calibre drift cars is concerned that will likely change as drifting gets more popular. I know lots of people that would love to attend drift events that are avid motorsports fans.If you asked people on here I bet theirs tons that would also love to go that aren’t complete fucktards. I'm sure some of the crowd attending would be there for just the smoke shows and such but if you think that most people attending nascar races are big racecar/race junkies your completely wrong. You can rip up drifting all you want, I'm not even a huge fan of it besides the fact I respect the skill it takes. Whether it fades or not the whole point of the post was to just show a cool vid and you somehow figured it would be cool to bash drifting? I just find it funny that someone who claims to be such a race junkie wouldn't show any appreciation for a new developing motorsport. Maybe your just grumpy and can't get away from the traditional style racing :confused:

18. PirateSteve

ok pissing match was bad wording on my part, I'm not getting worked up, it came out wrong.

Let me give you another example of how I see drifting. Have you ever watched Spike TV and seen the basketball they play where they have trampolines in front of the hoops? The call it extreme someting or another. Thats about what I think of drifting, like I said in my post above it doesn't do it for me. Its a variation of a proven sport trying to cash in on its lucrativeness. Yes I've gotten away from what the video shows, but thats only because that is a misrepresentation of drifting itself, the actual competitions are not like that. but you can be sure that when the ad execs make their commercials that is the action contained. In real motorsports, the highlights reveal close racing and tight passes in exotic race cars, not burnouts in clapped out Corollas. And you can respect their skills all you want, just remember that most of these guys dropped
    real racing because they couldn't hang.

Another thing, find it funny all you want that a 'race junkie' (I don't consider myself a junkie, its actually my career) wouldn't show any appreciation to a new form of motorsport all you want. I show appreciation to people that develop new and innovative products and ways of going faster, not slower. The winner of a race is the first one across the line, not the one who looks the 'coolest' getting there. I'm not grumpy or against new things, they just don't fit into what I consider motorsports. :)

19. stu mccrea

:imwithst:

20. wreak

Ok I can see totally where your comming from because I feel the same about drifting being kind of a flashy sport and yes it's not who passes the line first but it is entertaining and does require some skill. We just share different views and I can still respect the sport where you have lost all hope for it :lol: I do disagree that the drivers are failed racers though lol. Typical drifting is way slower then this vid and I'd say the guy in the vid is probably better then most of the pro guys in North America. I don't know why it wouldn't fit into motorsports but Anyway enough of that :crazy: