Inopia Banned - My thoughts. Now with 20% more Raisins.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Cheddar, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheddar

Cheddar
    [OP]
    Red is the New Green

OK, Boots is locking this I assume as soon as I'm done, but maybe he'll leave it open for people to voice their thought. Who knows, who cares. Now typically I'd let this shit fly but I am pretty stunned at how little some people care that they might be insulting people they consider friends. I wrote it while the other thread was still open, but it was locked before I could post it. It is in response to the following post.

http://www.reality-check.ca/showpost.php?p=1926477&postcount=239

Um, yeah, it is meant to insult a religion. How else would you take it?
    you're telling someone not to be like something else because its bad. I'm kind of surprised that that signature has not been changed.

Regardless of this, I don't understand why the fact that something goes on everyday is an excuse to do it. I mean not to suggest I give to fucks about Pat, (sorry lover) but just because someone doesn't think that something like calling someone a fag is insulting because they meant it in a different way, doesn't mean that pat isn't sitting way up high there on this thrown wondering why being who he is, is considered an insult.

Is it that hard to consider that before you call someone a Fag, Ni**er, Jew, Paki whatever, that there might be and individual who is one of those, listening or reading? Maybe someone that you consider a friend, that considers you a friend? How would you feel if your good friend was native, or some other non visible minority and you did not know. How would you feel if you found out that you have been insulting them for years without knowing? What do you think they are feeling? Are they thinking that you aren’t really their friend? Maybe they think you would hate them if they new the truth, or maybe they are just dying to tell you what they really are just to prove to you that maybe not everyone is like the stereotype. I mean if you didn’t know, obviously not everyone is like that.

I don’t really think insulting a quality, virtue, or characteristic of someone, or making someone feel bad about themselves due to something that they had no control over is anything to be overly proud of, or to be joked about, and its pretty sad that people are getting more worked up over someone being banned from a message board than they are upset about the stuff that is said. Why should Joe Blow Native feel bad for being who he is because of what someone else did?

Check yourself, stop worrying about other people not getting the same punishment when they did something equally bad and instead spend the time recognizing what is being done in the first place.

Don’t think for a second that the little comments here and there go unrecognized, and don’t think that every single person on this board is a White Anglo Saxon, Straight person with absolutely no disabilities. Its pretty safe to assume there are some minorities on here that everyone here thinks they are treating equally but have no idea on some of the things they are actually saying.

2. John Doe

Wow, I'm stunned.

Very well said.

3. SE

SE

Then I feel like this is the perfect time to add, I find the avatars with the mentally disabled kids disturbing and in the same category you are referring to with the name calling.

4. Shellie

Team Suzuki

Well said :)

5. Hiltzy

:drama:

6. 4T2

4T2

Honky

7. arsehole

I wasn't saying that any of those terms or sayings were acceptable, and I'm sorry if I didn't clearly get what I was trying to say across the way I wanted it. Avatar has also been changed.

8. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

agree with this. i know to some that will come as a surprise since i throw my hat in the ring often about how we used to be free to say whatever we wanted, i hate all the racist bullshit and general ignorance to those dealing with disabilities etc...am i guilty of dropping an n-bomb in jest now and then? sadly, sure I am-but it's something I've made an effort to stop.
    for me it's more about being able to freely express opinions...in my instance in the past I had disagreed with a lot of what a user said, and replied back to that person in a negative manner...not even always resorting to name calling etc...but i ended up getting a couple infractions for it...now I'm scared to disagree with anyone over anything here...and I don't drink the 'rainbows and sunshine' kool-aid that some around here seem to be downing by the gallon....so who knows, maybe i'm better off just shutting the fuck up. :)

9. Hiltzy

You have offended me sir....we now need to resolve this with a showdown

10. Matt30

people call me a midget. I now take offence to that. No more short jokes.

11. John Doe

While I think we should be able to freely express our opinions, I do think it is easily possible to do so without offending others or making them feel like a lesser class of citizen.

12. 4T2

4T2

But I meant it in the same way that the rappers say certain "offensive words" in their songs.... it's a brotherly sort of thing... except white

13. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

REALLY? You? REALLY? That is like....your MO.

14. John Doe

Yes, really. Really.

I'll call you out for something stupid you say, for a comment you make. I won't call you out for something you can't control, religion, sexuality, race, etc. That's a fact.

15. JP®

I guess I should change my user text.

EDIT... Looks like its aleady been done.

16. boing

Banned

I hope my av is not offending anyone.

17. Leroy

@danackles29

RC is serious business.

18. Cheddar

Cheddar
    [OP]
    Red is the New Green

You might think its funny, but have you considered that someone with true dwarfism just might read this and wonder why what they have is a funny insult?

Its one thing to call someone short. Some people are tall others are short. And even to call them a midget under certain circumstances is still just said in jest and has no malice behind it. Its when you start to suggest that having this condition has a direct relationship to their relevance and belonging as a person that I find it truly disgusting.

19. Hiltzy

personally...I think if you are offeneded by what someone says....make use your "ignore" feature.

20. Matt30

Ive never found being called a midget funny, because im not a midget :shrug:

21. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I was really impressed with the new commercial you did for McDonald's. You must have made a lot of cash for that:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywv_JCyolU"]YouTube - McDonalds Mini Goalie Sticks Commercial[/ame]

22. Cheddar

Cheddar
    [OP]
    Red is the New Green

Truth. I'll never make fun of Pat because he likes to throw one down the Chocolate Chimney, I make fun of him because he thinks he's better than everyone else. :lol:

23. arsehole

while we're at it, might as well revise the list of smileys :gay:

24. Cheddar

Cheddar
    [OP]
    Red is the New Green

You have to read it before you can be offended by it.

25. Matt30

:lol: Man for the longest time i couldnt walk into a rink and hear "hey, its JC Petite!"

26. 4T2

4T2

:werd:

And given the nature of the internet in general, people who are easily offended either need to learn to get over it quickly or find something else to do with their time.

27. JP®

I dunno... I can see how people get offended.
    Growing up in a christian household, there was one thing we were always taught.. Everyone has the right to be themselves, and practice thier befiefs without being persecuted for it.
    Ive done / said some things that conflicted with this way of thinking, but lately, ive tried to be more sensitive to these issues.

28. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

I agree, but the posts i got the infractions on made no reference to any of that as a negative. That is what I take issue with, I agree that saying oh yeah well you're just a filthy _______(insert derogatory slur or reference to religion/sex/sexuality/race/etc here) should usually result in negative consequences of some sort. Actually, I had made a couple negative posts about an aspect of the persons appearance that were in fact uncalled for low blows, and I will not do so in the future.

29. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

She's not a noob anymore, so it's ok now.

30. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

Agreed...I'm not a crybaby...but a few things have been said to/about me and a physical condition I deal with that have cut me retardedly deep. It's a fucking message board and I know that what so and so thinks of me has no impact on my life...but it does have some....like it or not.

wow....i just said that...on rc.
    Better get ready to get flamed/shit on for the rest of my posting days here.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  31. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

Plus my last infraction for that expires in less than a day :eek7:

32. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

RC is an enabler. Look at all of these hateful emoticons.

:gay::gay2::gay3::teehee::goatse:

Ban all controversial smileys!

33. wreak

I have to sort of laugh at this thread. While I agree a lot of what has been said is true, the internet is and always will be a place for people to vent their personal beliefs and frustrations with little to no repercussions. I'd like to think this thread will change the way some people think but unfortunately I'm not very optimistic. I think when people go overboard on here and make race comments anyone remotely intelligent would either think less of them or feel bad for that individuals lack of education.

On the other hand I still think for the most part words are harmless and people need to grow some thicker skin, save your energy for the extremists.

34. SE

SE

Well, maybe you should think about that when you go to type something out that may potentially hurt another person.

35. John Doe

You're reading it wrong, and taking it too personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.