1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm bored so here's some geek p0rn.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Cody, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Cody

Cody
    [OP]

Ever browsing a popular web site and wonder what the gear looks like that serves it up? I thought it would be neat to show some pics of what I do.

Production website install: Generic dual processor webservers all running a custom linux distro tied to some kickass 4 way xeon database machines with 2TB of raid storage all sitting behind a pair of bigip load-balancers. Pat will like the abundance of Dell Server hardware. I just ordered 10 more Dell servers yesterday, mostly PowerEdge 1750 dual xeon 3.2Ghz machines with 2GB of ram each.

I Built this cluster to serve LOTS of website traffic, not quite yahoo scale but millions of hits a day. The beauty of this type of setup is it scales quite well, you can just keep adding servers to take up the slack. With the F5 load balancers you can have multiple clusters in different locations all serving the same site, this is what the big boys like Google and Yahoo do but on a larger scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cobbled together developement cluster hardware and a pic of the switching closet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind of hard to see but here's another similar web cluster I setup in a different facility.

[​IMG]

Hehe, you think your 5 port linksys switch is hardcore (hint that's a 72 port wirespeed switch, the red ones are 100mbit uplinks to the internet :evil: )

[​IMG]

2. beaker

G5 flat servers > that

when my moms bf was home working on one i layed my hand on the board by mistake. :x lucky it was off

3. boob

alicious

neeeeeeeeeerd

4. jspurr

wow...i just ordered a new dell server for the county.. 2x2.8ghz xeon 4g of ram raid 1,5 mmmm cant wait to get it!!!!

5. Cody

Cody
    [OP]

That big Dell in the corner of the 1st pic has 4 Xeon 3.2Ghz processors, 4GB ram and 5x76GB scsi drives. It's a beast.

6. BoOdOg

very nice man,

so who is running all the Sun items over there?
    Sun Fire 880s ?