I'll be needing tires in the spring so I'm hunting around. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Squashtowner, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Squashtowner

herp derp

Firstly, I'm going for touring/comfort, not performance. It's a station wagon, for god's sakes :lol:

OE= P205/55 R16

I'm going one profile up to P205/60 R16. More sidewall = improved ride. I don't carve turns anyhoo.

So I'm looking at the following:

Goodyear Allegra.
    Bridgestone Insignia
    Uniroyal Touring
    Possibly Michelin Harmony.

Any other suggestions? Opinions?

2. ND4SPEED

Boo Good Year
    Boo Uniroyal

Bridgestone are Okay
    Best would be the Michelin's, But why big name brands, Kelly Navigator platnium is a Awsome Tire and cheeper than the Big names

3. Majarvis

That size won't work. Your speedometer will be off by roughly 3%. The overall diameter on the first size is 631.69 mm, whereas the overall diameter of the second size is 652.27 mm (http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit). More than 3% can lead to brake problems, as the ABS system (if the vehicle has it) is designed to operate within a certain overall diameter range. That is outside the recommended range (3% or less).

The difference in sidewall height is less than half an inch; not worth affecting your speedometer that much. You wouldn't notice the difference.

4. Squashtowner

herp derp

I know all about how much the speedo will be off. I also don't have ABS, but I have compared the two side by side by eyeball before, and noticed the difference in height.

Plus:
    My winters are 215-60R15 on corolla wheels. They are off from the OE size too. Diameter isn't a problem.

And the 21mm difference in diameter is subject to the manufacturer too. Side by side, I compared Bridgestone Turanza P205-70R15 and a Dayton Quadra SE when I worked at the Esso. Both are the same size on paper. The Turanza was physically wider when I measured it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. Majarvis

I just don't think it's worth throwing off your speedometer that much for such a negligible gain in sidewall height. Your speedometer will be showing 100 km/h, but you'll only be travelling at around 97 km/h. That will also throw off your odometer by quite a lot over time. 3% is quite a big difference.

6. Squashtowner

herp derp

If it's any consolation, I use my cruise control about 90% of the time :lol:

7. Squashtowner

herp derp

I've seen Kelly Tires on a friend's Grand Prix and he only got one summer out of them. Between weird wear, and broken belts, he wasn't impressed.

8. Majarvis

You have to measure the width of the tires where they meet the wheel, not the tread. The contact patch will be different for every tire depending on how wide the manufacturer makes the tread blocks. They will be the same physical width at the bead of the tire.

9. Squashtowner

herp derp

Even mounted on wheels, there was a significant difference.

10. slouse

Oh no.. he'll be rolling 3000 fewer km's every 100,00 :eek3:

You better disclose that to your warranty people!

11. Squashtowner

herp derp

:rofl: My warranty's been up for 29,000 km.

12. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Don't buy Bridgestone Turanza's , they suck. The treadwear is pretty good but on my car they seemed to not stick well, even under day to day driving.

On a side note, I wouldn't waste my time going up that one size. 205/55/16 don't give a harsh ride to begin with and I am sure you would not see too much of an improvement going to 60 series, although if price and availability come into play that might change my mind.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  13. Majarvis

It adds up over the long-run. It also adds more stress to the wheel bearings, which are designed to operate with a certain load on them. 3% is actually a pretty extreme overall diameter increase, and could overload the wheel bearings, which is not good. It can lead to wheel bearing failure. Not always, but it certainly increases the stress on them.

I don't deal with warranty issues, and only work there twice a week now that I'm back in class. It's not my permanent job, and I don't care what people do with their vehicles. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  14. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

The small amount of difference between his stock size and the size he wants to go with will not increase the stress on his wheel bearings, that's a crock of shit. If anything it could reduce rolling resistance due to a narrower tread section and increase fuel efficiency and less strain on his power steering as well as less strain on tie rod ends etc. Sure his speedo will be out a little bit but as he already stated it is no concern to him. By your logic my 215/45/17 rim and tire combination should be doing less wear on my wheel bearings due to the diameter being slightly smaller even though my tread section width is wider which is giving a larger contact patch .
    I assume you are in school to become a mechanic and do not have much experience outside of text books. Get a few more years in the real world and stopping quoting from the books and it will make you a better mechanic

15. QuickDrive

I picked up some Michelin Hydro-Edge Sport/Touring tires this summer.
    Love em, from costco they were 650$ installed. 140,000km warranty on em means they'll be the last I buy for this car.

16. Majarvis

Calm down princess and take the wrench out of your ass. I'm not a mechanic, nor am I studying to become one. I'm only telling him what I've been told by others, which is, when using a different sized tire than stock, if the overall diameter exceeds a difference of 3% (which in his case, it does) then if that leads to a problem/failure of a wheel bearing, ABS sensor, etc. because of the increased rolling diameter, then they can void that warranty coverage if it's proven to be the cause of the failure. Obviously, he doesn't have to worry about that because it's not a new vehicle and no longer has a warranty, but if that's their reasoning for a failure to not be covered, there must be some reason behind it. Please continue to take this as a personal insult and get defensive, though. :cool:

17. Squashtowner

herp derp

OK. I never meant for this thread to be a 'I know more about cars than you do.' thread.

I wanted honest opinions on tire brands, nothing more, nothing less.

I sold, mounted, and changed tires for 9 years. I read up on new tires that BS/FS/Dayton released to keep my mind fresh. I happen to know a thing or two about upsizing, downsizing, and tires in general. I couldn't give a rat's ass what worldly effect 3% difference in tire size would do. I certainly didn't expect a chest-thumping testosterone battle.

So back to post #1, size and vehicle notwithstanding.

:happysad:

18. maniac

don't like the allegra's that came on my subaru very much. the cheapy winter tires i have on it are quieter and i had broken belts and one sidewall puncture for no apparent reason.

19. Squashtowner

herp derp

My parents had the allegras on a Grand Am and they loved them, but they also had the sidewall puncture problem. $9/tire free replacement warranty FTW, though.

20. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

depends on what you want to spend on tires.

21. Squashtowner

herp derp

I don't want shitty tires, nor do I want to cough up a fortune. Middle of the road touring would be nice.