1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hypothetical business...

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by danny, Aug 8, 2008.

1. danny

danny
    [OP]
    bike manic

So say you had a potential clientbase that is very wealthy and a L series lense which you can very easily get good shots of sports of all kind and live in an area that has more events than you can wrap your head around... how would you go about finding out what value to put on your photography???

Like if I was planning to do a quick and easy general photography of a match and collect from both team managers and deliver them a CD of all digital photos taken and still have rights to sell the photos individually?

What I was looking into and seems to work well here is you collect from each team and they bother with collecting from individuals... its something that was done last year at the canadian world series in calgary and i guess most teams were agreeing to pay like over 100$ a game for a cd full of pics and the photogs were doing several games a day...

so heres mostly what im looking for... what is reasonable for pricing for say a wedding, a sport match, a motorsport race etc???

BTW im in the Edmonton area right now so I'd have access to most of alberta, and british columbia if the money is right

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

to be honest nobody is going to want to do up a business plan for you, Danny. You're going to have to put in the legwork and research your specific area(s) to determine demand and going rates etc. It's something I'd think you'd want to find out yourself, not just ask a bunch of people on a casual photo section of a message board. :) I don't mean to sound like a cunt, but really...just do some local(to you) digging and see what you turn up.
    We CAN help you with some image critique, and that's as if not more important if you're about to jump off the proverbial deep end.
    Best of luck either way, and I look forward to seeing a couple image posts of yours in the photo section. :)

3. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

ditto.

Everyone's different and every area's different. The debate of what to charge has more to do with your skill level and professional image. What I charge for a print/image wouldn't very likely be the same as what someone else might charge for a similar print/image.

Good luck and let's see some samples...

4. The Stig

that's the toughest part of photography, there really isn't a "photography business" how to, you'll find everyone does things a little different, or a lot different. The joys of the art world.