1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Fiona

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Wayne, Sep 21, 2022.

1. boing

I read your post wrong I thought the breeder was looking for people to look after dogs because of storm damage to her kennel... You are just getting a new puppy, still very exciting :eek7:

2. Arod

I have my work cut out for me (pun intended) Just a small section of my woodlot. Its a mess.

310082242_10159341218746314_8524226306901845829_n.jpg

3. boing

That is a mess, be careful with those green trees under pressure they are killers when cutting them. I can't express how much I hate blow-down.
    What do you use your woodlot for?

4. Arod

Right now the woodlot is just for our own enjoyment, it's mostly virgin Acadian forest which we don't want to ever touch (except to clean the blow-down). The spruce and fir seem to have taken the brunt of it. This section above is full of old growth hemlock and It doesn't look like we lost a single one. One spot I am concerned about in the far corner is an old growth red spruce stand which is one of the last of its age on the island.

We have a forester coming in this fall/winter (was booked for last year) to clear some older spruce and open the canopy for some of the hardwood in a section that had some selective cutting and planting in the past.

The picture is near our brook and we will have to look after that part ourselves as its to be left alone as per the management plan. The blow-down is a pain in the ass to deal with for sure. It takes far longer to plan your attack than cut it. Reverse tetris that explodes if you do it wrong.

boing likes this.
  5. Arod

This is what that section normally looks like

264832683_506656497058182_5956632031336360551_n.jpg

boing and Scott like this.
  6. boing

that's too bad that it's blown down but that's nature and it will regenerate itself you seem to have a pretty good handle on what you have there and what to do. The Hemlock and Red Spruce stands sound amazing, I love seeing mature Eastern Hemlock stands they are so majestic compared to the rest of the forest