HRM Police Press - Officer Faces Charge: A Halifax Regional Police Officer faces a cr

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Kent Brockman, Sep 11, 2009.

1. C. Mike Hunt

Already posted it, but http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/687918-halifax-police-officer-back-in-court-april-25

A police officer for four years, Mosher was in his first year on the force when he was charged with common assault after a domestic dispute in 2009. He was placed on administrative leave, but reinstated after the Crown withdrew the charges.

As a cadet, Mosher was dismissed from the regional police training program, but was later reinstated.

2. Duggan

I just finally read this, I used to constantly fight with this guy everytime we played Dartmouth growing up.

3. Cooper

FTP

An independent agency that investigates police in Nova Scotia says two Halifax officers used reasonable force when a woman's arm was broken during an arrest in March.

The Serious Incident Response Team, known as SIRT, said officers from Halifax Regional Police were called to Highway 111 in Dartmouth on March 4 after a woman was seen jumping in front of cars.

SIRT said the woman appeared to be suffering from a mental illness and the officers believed she was endangering herself and others.

When the policemen attempted to arrest the 55-year-old woman, she resisted and ended up with a broken arm.

The report says no charges will be laid as the officers had a duty to arrest the woman and applied reasonable force.

It said witnesses who saw the arrest agreed that the force used by the officers was warranted.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone who's ever dealt with psych patients can see how this would happen.

4. Top Gun

I was no witness at that age and there capability I would think it would be as simple as kicking her cane out from under her .I guess not .:hmpf:

5. Cooper

FTP

Apparently, everyone involved and the witnesses all know something you don't. No real surprise there. Everyone's an armchair ref.

6. Top Gun

Fair question ?

7. Arod

The level of force was appropriate for the level of resistance. It isn't as if they intentionally broke her arm.

8. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

If by fair you mean stupid, ridiculous and irrelevant, then yes, it is an extremely fair question.

9. Top Gun

Who asked you there fu..k face ?

10. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

11. Arod

Is this a trick question?

12. C. Mike Hunt

13. Top Gun

These 2 officers had this women face down on the hood of the car and still had enough grip on her to break her arm. Like I have said before what would they need to hold a 2-250 pound man the army. I can't help it I think they used to much force I don't care if she was a nut case or not in a position like that I feel the only threat to them was they were going to be late for Tims.

PS: I hope the judge orders her to have her teeth out just in case this isn't the end of her .:loser:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  14. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Grant, would you even bother trying to arrest someone on your way to Tim Hortons? Wouldn't you just taze them and toss them in your trunk?

15. Hiltzy

so what are the chances she broke her arm because her arms were behind her back and she was still resisting and trying to get free, twisted her arm the wrong way and broke it? do you think the police should release their grip on a person who is resisting because they are putting themselves in a position to injure themselves? is it the officers fault if a person is out of control and not listening to their instructions? do you suppose the lady calmed down enough to let them check her for any weapons she might have on her and then ramped up again?

bottom line....if a police officer tells you to do something...you do it....if you don't do it....you are at risk of being injured when they forcibly make you do what they asked you to do in the first place and that is completely your own fault and no fault of the officer

16. ouird

I'm Weird

exactly

17. Cooper

FTP

Dude.

You're assuming they snapped her arm.

Maybe as they were pinning her she was wretched around and snapped it herself.

The cops, the witnesses and the investigators think it was done appropriately.. Why do you think your obviously biased, uninformed and seemingly useless opinion is of anymore value than the people were there?

Do me a favor.. Next time you get arrested, resist. See how it goes.

18. Elcoopto

I don't carry a tazer :eek7:

19. Top Gun

When it happens I will take a hunk out of 1's arm faster that they can a jelly doughnut .:france:

20. Cooper

FTP

You are clearly a shitrat :lol:

21. C. Mike Hunt

....aaaaaaaaaaaaaand here's another one.

http://www.halifax.ca/Police/PressR.../AllegationofSexualAssaultReferredtoSiRT.html

For Immediate Release
    Halifax Regional Police
    News Release
    August 6, 2013 (1:05 p.m.)

Alleged Sexual Assault Involving Officer Referred to SiRT

On July 26, Halifax Regional Police received a complaint from a woman regarding the conduct of one of our officers. As a result of a formal statement obtained from the complainant on the evening of August 2, Halifax Regional Police determined the complaint pertained to an allegation of sexual assault involving a Halifax Regional Police constable.

Halifax Regional Police referred this matter to the Serious Incident Response Team (SiRT) on August 2 for investigation, and the officer in question was suspended from duty today pending the outcome of the investigation by SiRT.

We take allegations against our officers very seriously and realize they potentially undermine public confidence. As can be expected, these situations are difficult for the victim, the department and everyone involved.

Media inquiries related to this matter are to be directed to SiRT.

22. Top Gun

23. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Strange timeline. Complain about an officer committing sexual assault on the 26th.. A week later, they get the statement from the alleged victim, and four days later the officer is suspended. So ten days after a complaint that a police officer did something terrible, he's removed from active duty.. Ten days!

24. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Have you considered that maybe the complainant was unavailable until the 2nd to give her statement? Perhaps her lawyer had some things to do before she met with them or any number of things. Then the officer could have been off duty from the 2-6th, or the SiRT needed time to do their investigation so when he came in today he was suspended. I have no idea if that's the case, but there could very well be a logical and extremely simple answer.

25. Majarvis

One thing that has become abundantly clear is that our friend Iceman is an upstanding citizen. There is no way innocent little Goose has ever run into circumstances that would form a negative bias toward a police officer. Ever. I bet Slider even opens doors for officers. Who said chivalry is dead?

26. Hiltzy

Also....there are likely tons of compaints made every day by random shit heads who are pissed off they got arrested......they need some time to make sure there is some substance to the complaint

27. Cooper

FTP

Word.

28. capette72

29. Arod

look back a page where that has already been posted

30. Ron Mexico

whats this guy up to now? still HRMPD?

31. C. Mike Hunt

32. C. Mike Hunt

Yet another one... :(

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/09/11/ns-police-officer-charged.html

A member of Halifax Regional Police has been charged with sexual assault after an investigation by the province’s Serious Incident Response Team.

The alleged incident happened on July 6, at the home of the woman who filed the complaint against Cst. Dennis Dale Kelsey. SIRT began its investigation on August 12, and laid the charge a week later.

Kelsey, 57, is scheduled to be back in Halifax provincial court Sept. 26.

33. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

I feel so out of tune with the news since the herald ruined my life.

34. Ron Mexico

I wonder what % of officers charged get convicted or see jail time.

Christ, another guy with a years free vacation and pay.

35. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

dont say that, people on here will murder you