How long for a car?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by caper_girl, Aug 29, 2013.

1. caper_girl

caper_girl
    [OP]

So my husband signed the papers for a new car almost a month ago. He got a Kia Forte on a trade-in. They said about two weeks, maybe sooner before he would have it. I thought, that seems like a long time, but okay. It's not in yet. The last time he spoke to them, which was last week I believe, they said the week of the 26th, at the latest. It's Thursday, still not in (though it may have arrived today, I don't know yet). Does this not seem like an ungodly amount of time to wait for a car?? They did offer to give him a loaner if he wanted, but to me, it doesn't matter, he still doesn't have HIS car that they told him he'd have in two weeks. He thinks because he signed the papers he doesn't really have a leg to stand on, plus, he really needs a new car because if he waits, he'll just get less for the car he has now. I think he should try and get at least a set of tires or SOMETHING for such a long wait. It's not like he ordered anything custom, it's blue. Just curious, if he did want to tell them to shove it, could he with the papers already having been signed?

2. Wayne

How would he get less on his trade in if they already signed the papers on the deal?

3. preluding

I don't think he can tell them to shove it but he could sure try...depending on the dealership if could definitely work.
    When I bought the gf's new impreza steel subaru offered to refund everything when something almost fell though (and it was my fault)

What he CAN do is get a car from them to drive until his comes in. They said they'd have a car by a certain date and they owe him that.

4. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Where is it coming from?

Both our cars we had within 2 days.

5. Jenn

Left Shark

Ours took at least a couple weeks because it was on a boat that had just left Japan. It was the only blue one with the option package we wanted left in the country -- and it was allotted to a dealership in Toronto, which our local one had to trade with to get it. It first had to come into Vancouver, then get put on a train and brought to Halifax.

6. caper_girl

caper_girl
    [OP]

It's from the Kia dealership in Antigonish. By getting less for his car if he waits, I meant, if he was able to tell them he didn't want it and went elsewhere but waited awhile, and something goes wrong with the car, he may get less for it, if that makes sense. I have no idea where it's coming from, but one of the reasons they gave was that it had to come through Quebec and the railway disaster there held things up. But that being said, they still said two weeks, and they said it doesn't normally take that long.

7. Wayne

How much demand is out there for a Kia, I would think there would be what you want sitting at a dealer somewhere they could trade for. I got my Fusion from Quebec because I was picky with the options. Not many Titaniums out there fully loaded exactly how I wanted without the dummy driver features. Yet they found me one.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

I'd say, unless they guaranteed him a date, then there's not much that can be done. Their offer of a loaner is a pretty good one if you ask me. Things happen that are out of the control of the dealership and all they can do is estimate when the car would be there, based on previously shipped cars. Its not like he'll never get his car and they can't start taking out payments until the car is delivered.

9. 17

teenage dirtbag

I bought my wife a Kia Forte SX last year and we had to wait 4 weeks for it to come from Vancouver. If hes signed the papers, then theres no worries on the trade in, everything is in writing so when it shows up, he walks in, signs the papers, leave the trade in and drives away. Even if the papers werent signed, a few weeks wont make a huge difference on trade in anyways.

These things take time, dealers cant just make cars appear, you have to wait for a bill of sale from the dealer that has it, then you have to courier them a check, they wont release the car until the check arrives, so then once they confirm the check is there you have the get the logistics aspect of it done, so it might be a few days before it can be picked up, and then you need to wait for it to actually get to where its going, get PDI/MVI, cleaned, fueled, and then its yours.

Them giving a loaner is to 1) make him happy and 2) cover their asses on a trade in. If someone smacks the trade in a parking lot, its not like they can now offer the customer less for the vehicle, since papers are signed. Its way easier to give out a loaner vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. 17

teenage dirtbag

We had to wait for 4 weeks because there was not a single one in Canada with the color and options she wanted. We actually did the deal before the boat it was on even landed in Canada. Then a 4 week wait from Vancouver

11. caper_girl

caper_girl
    [OP]

That's the part I don't understand, there are Kias everywhere, and he got no special options. He just got the EX model in blue, sounds pretty simple. Anyway, that's what he was saying, that the delivery is pretty much out of their hands. I was just curious if anyone else thought that this was a long wait for a basic model car in a basic color.

12. Jenn

Left Shark

So where is it coming from? Was there one in the country in that model/color combo? Were they able to trade for it with another dealer? Lots of factors.

We bought a Subaru WRX -- lots of them around. But we got a hatchback with leather and sunroof in blue. That meant it was on the boat from Japan and took longer.

13. 17

teenage dirtbag

If there was one closer, the dealer would have gotten it for him. They dont like this long drawn out process any more than you do.

14. Jess

I waited over a month for my Civic a few years back, but they told me upfront it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and a half. I also had a trade in, and once they assessed it, that was the agreed upon value whether I ended up driving it for another month or not.

I think the wait can be pretty normal?

15. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

I special ordered my Mustang in July and didn't get it until Oct. So a few days doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. :lol:

16. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Yeah, I had almost 3 months for my car, but they came right out and said it wasn't manufactured yet. Once it was physically made, then it had to get shipped to BC, then it had to get shipped across the country, then it had to get shipped from the regional lot to the dealer, then get prepped by the dealer, then I could accept delivery.

Basically at every shipping step you are at the mercy of another company. Just because the car is sitting in QC doesn't mean that it immediately moved on a truck to NS. They have to fill the truck with other orders first sort of thing.

17. Majarvis

Re-read A-ron's post, everything is explained there. The dealer isn't screwing you around at all. I had to wait 2 months for my Civic back in 2010 because the one I wanted didn't even have a build date when I signed.

18. Arod

It took my 2 months to get my damn cobalt in 2005 because I wanted a spoiler and didn't want A/C.

19. humberc

Climbing Scrillamanjaro

Kia Canada is having some pretty heavy supply issues at the moment. Production is maxed and demand in the US is making cars hard to source for Canada. The wait time for his specific colour is not un heard of at all. A-ron is correct, if the paperwork is done and the trade value agreed to, then there is no worry. Rates and things such as that are protected too as far as the financing goes. His salesperson is just as anxious to get the car on the road as you are to have it cleared up.

20. caper_girl

caper_girl
    [OP]

Thanks everyone! He ended up getting it yesterday. I don't know where it was shipped from, but they apparently allow up to about twelve weeks for delivery which we weren't aware of.