How do I increase..

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by HW, Nov 8, 2003.

1. HW

HW
    [OP]

..the MinSPs in system.ini ? I get some kind of warning every once in a while and it says something about trying to increase stack space because a recently installed VxD is using too much stack space, then it tells me to increase the "MinSPs" in System.ini

2. LIVNLRG

I'm Famous

You can replace "no" with "0", "off" or "false". Similarly, "yes" has the same effect as "1", "on" or "true" (but don't type the quotes). This applies ONLY to <boolean> entries (yes/no, 1/0, on/off, true/false), NOT to numeric (decimal/hex) or string (text) values (i.e. DMABufferSize = 0 - 64 KB), which have different measuring units, ranges or characters (exemplified below).
    Windows loads its default built-in values (shown below) for all .INI settings that are not present.
    All Windows .INI lines are case insensitive.
    You can comment (remark, disable) any Windows .INI entry (instead of deleting it) by preceding it with a semicolon (;). Example:
    ; 32BitDiskAccess=ON
    Windows .INI files maximum allowed size is 64 KB, which is an annoying limitation. Anything above that is NOT processed. :(
    You need to restart Windows every time after modifying ANY SYSTEM.INI settings!
    CAUTION: BACKUP your .INI files BEFORE making ANY changes!
    If you don't know what these lines do, YOU MUST READ your Windows help files/documents/manuals BEFORE altering ANY configuration files, and BEWARE that if you enter invalid values you may experience data loss and/or unexpected machine lockups !!!

just off teh top of my head anyways!

3. LIVNLRG

I'm Famous

To resolve this behavior, add the following line to the [386Enh] section of the System.ini file, and then restart your computer:
    MinSPs=4

If the behavior continues to occur, increase the number of spare stack pages in increments of 4 (for example, 8, 12, 16).

NOTE: Each spare stack page requires 4 KB of memory.

To edit the System.ini file for Windows 95, 98 and 98se:
    Click Start, click Run, type sysedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    Click System.ini on the Window menu.
    In the [386Enh] section, type the following line:
    MinSPs=4

On the File menu, click Exit, and then click Yes to save the changes.
    Restart your computer.

To edit the System.ini file for Windows Me:

Click Start, click Search, For files or folders.
    In the "Search for files or folders named" box type "System.ini" (without the quotation marks) and make sure that the "Look in" drop-down box lists "Local Hard Drive (C:). Click on the Search Now button.
    When the search results appear in the pane on the right side, be sure to double-click on the System.ini file that is listed "In Folder" C:\Windows. This should open the System.ini file up inside of Notepad.
    In the [386Enh] section, add or edit the following line as applicible:
    "MinSPs=4" (without the quotation marks)

On the File menu, click Save, then click the File menu again and click Exit.
    Restart your computer.

4. LIVNLRG

I'm Famous

5. Pottie

wow.......could you type all that for me in english Trevor.