Home Depot vs. Kent - Lumber Quality?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Big Al, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

About to buy a bunch of lumber to build a deck over the next week or so. I haven't looked at pressure treated in either of these guy's yards to know if they share the same supplier or not? Does one have better quality wood than the other? Or are they pretty well on par?
    Reason I ask is HD is a bit cheaper, and has some promos on that are making me lean that way, but I typically prefer to shop at Kent, the deck is going to be roughly 400 sq feet, so every $ counts, but I don't want to bit into quality.

2. PDizzle

2legit2quit

my fam has only ever purchased lumber from Payzants in Sackville. Have you priced anything from there?

3. preluding

I find Homedepot to be better...that might just be what I happened to see when looking for 2x4 studs a while though.

Either way I end up going to each one for everything and don't hesitate to pick through the lumber to find good planks as there are duds in both.

4. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

I bought some cedar from both in the past, neither one seemed to be better than the other.

5. Hiltzy

fuck irving and all irving owned companies /watcha

6. Arod

I don't find there is a difference between the two. For small projects you should always hand pick your lumber anyway to make sure you get the best quality for the price.

7. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

It's going to be delivered, so I dunno if they'll want to pull it themselves, and bundle it or not.. if that's the case I figure I can just pick out the shit pieces, and take them for exchange. Bit of an extra hassle I suppose, rather than just picking up front.

8. visual_kool

You'll get roughly same quality from both. If not hand picking buy extra and return the shit they send. That way you have enough good stuff to finish your job

9. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

Yeh, that's what I was thinking... ~5-10% extra

10. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

always go 10% extra!

11. Smokey

Outdoor lumber yards are always without question better. I will only buy lumber at HD if I run short a couple pieces or its -40 outside.

Like has been said, order 10% extra and return the junk at completion.

12. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

Yeh, I've got 10% factored in. Does anyone know if the rules still stand that any house addition/modification under $5K doesn't require a permit?

13. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

How high is the deck off the ground? You'll need a permit (I believe) for getting the holes drilled and pillars put in for supports if it's over a certain height.

14. C. Mike Hunt

15. Smokey

I can't say for sure in HRM, but usually if the deck is less than 24" off the ground, you do not require permits. If it is you will likely need to provide drawings showing elevation, site overview and framing detail.

16. wsavary

Why is an outdoor yard better? I thought it was the other way around.

17. Michael

Hole digger

lumber isnt dried the fuck out. that said kent in bayers lake is awful for warped the fuck lumber.

18. Bean

Breasts

I was just coming in to say this. Also not to mention their staff have no fucking clue where their shit is located in that lumber yard. I was there 2 weeks ago to get the arches for our shed and we called the night before...they said they had 36 in stock (this was at 8:30 pm). We showed up before they opened the next day. Go in and ask the guy at the gate where to find them. He shrugs his shoulders and points to a back corner. I can see about 7 busted looking arches. I then tell the bf to drive over and I will get out and chat with this numbnut. I get out and tell him we called and they said 36 in stock and those are certainly not them. I told him what kind we were looking for (no overhang, etc) and he points to the exterior of the lumber yard says what they have it out there. We go out there and all we find are 2 piles of about 9 arches each busted to shit. Some guy goes by on a forklift and we mention to him that this is not the ones they advertised and that they should have 36 according to who we spoke to last night. He then says that they were sent back to some other Kent out of province. Now we are pissed and the bf just goes back to the lumberyard to get the other lumber we need besides the arches (which is ALLLLLL warped and bent out of shape and you have to dig to the bottom of the stack to find anything good). I decide to walk around the exterior and meet him at the front of the yard. As I'm walking I see this massive tarp half covering what seem to be ARCHES!!! I go behind a dumpster and pull the tarp and VIOLA EXACTLY 36 BUNDLED PERFECT ARCHES!! I go back in the yard and tell the forklift guy that they never shipped their arches and they are behind the lumberyard gate. He goes and gets some older gentleman and tells him and he says "Oh shit! That's where the fuckers put them". I asked for 8 of them and I swear if they could get in their forklifts any slower they'd be frozen molasses! But I did get my shit before I left.

Sorry..that's my Kent rant. Bunch of useless tits with shitty lumber!
    If we could have gotten the stuff we needed at the other places, we would have!

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I find most outdoor yards are just huge piles of wood that other people didn't want to take. You have to toss fifty pieces off wood off the pile until you hit some good stuff.

20. Big Al

Big Al
    [OP]

I needed some 2x12x10's which homedepot didn't carry and I didn't want to pay for 12 footers, so I went over to kent, I went through 20-30 board, and had to get them to open another bundle before I found 3 in decent enough shape to buy... The stuff I bought from home depot was pretty straight, other than the decking, which is never straight anyway.
    I have no use for either of the lumberyards though, or the stores in general, poor service at both whenever you need some help it seems they all disappear.

21. wsavary

Personally I really like the indoor dried lumber at Home Depot and also have found the materials at Kent to be quite lacking in quality. Besides the questionable quality of the lumber I find staff is hit or miss on customer service skills, and there are other little things like some of their indoor building materials are filthy dirty and the lighting is bad in the store etc. Can you tell I'm a Home Depot shopper?

Getting back to the topic of lumber, I suppose if you are building an outdoor structure you may prefer to have lumber that is still wet instead of completely dry. If I'm building something inside however, for example some partition wall or a shelf unit, I really prefer to have my number dry before I start so there is no shortage. Plus if its already dry you won't get stuck with a piece of lumber that twist or turns after it dries as you will already be able to see what state it is in.

22. Smokey

If you have an endless amount of time to sort through a lift to find 5 straight pieces of lumber, that's great. If you're building a shelving unit with dimensional lumber, well that's another story.